Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tonight while out on a run my speedo would go down to zero after 60kmh or so. at the end it barely worked at all.
when this would happen the check engine light would come on and the "check dps" message would scroll across the screen. when the speedo was working the engine light was gone and so was the check dps message.
since my bike has 1700+ kms I took out the VSS and cleaned it. There was some shavings on it, but not all that much. the shavings were concentrated in one spot though.
could the dirty vss be all my problems? will a dirty vss and zero speedo reading cause the check dps to come on? I couldn't take it for a spin to try it cause to get the vss out I had to remove the Fing 4x4 actuator and didn't have enough oil to refill the gearbox.
thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
21 miles on my wheeler picked it up went for a ride same thing happened no speedo trip wasnt reading. Check dps light always on if you find anything out let me know

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm. I thought someone would have had this problem before. I know part of the 10hr maint is to clean the VSS which I did not. I have 55-60 hrs on it now.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well finally got to try it. speedo stays at zero all the time. tried probing the sensor per shop manual. suposed to get fluctuating voltage readings while turning the wheels. voltage stays constant 9.3v on one side and 0.1v on the other. I think the sensor is bad?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I brought my wheeler to the dealer and they found a wire pinched between a bolt and engine for the speed sensor. They replaced the wire and speed sensor and it works great! The speeds sensor on your is probably the problem. The dps communicates with the speed sensor and if that's not working it'll give you the check engine light

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
let's hope you're right. I have an appt. tomorrow at 3. dealer seems to think it's the sensor also. only problem is I'll have to cancel the trip we had planned for tomorrow.......

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah pretty pathetic. I only had 21 miles on mine owned it for 2 days and had to bring it back in. Thought I bought a can am so I wouldn't have to mess with that junk if I wanted to have it worked on all the time I would have bought a polaris!!! Haha

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It ended up being the sensor. Ruined my afternoon. a 1hr drive was 1.5 hrs because of the lovely Quebec construction.
AK

·
Registered
42 Posts
You say "as per shop manual", is there a detailed manual on these quads? I'm looking for a reference book so I can do my own work, the dealership can lick my gooch.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes the Can Am shop manual for 2012 800/1000s. Covers everything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It ended up being the sensor. Ruined my afternoon. a 1hr drive was 1.5 hrs because of the lovely Quebec construction.
AK
Hey man do you remember the price of getting that fixed? I bought a used 1000 outlander xt and I have the same exact problem already cleaned my sensor and nothing. Also you can take out the vss without removing the 4x4 actuator! Just a bitch

1 - 11 of 11 Posts