Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have an 2012 Outlander 800 Max XT that I am repairing. No prior experience with ATVs. When I shutdown the engine there is a spinning whirring sound coming from the starter/magneto case area. The sound is few seconds in duration and slows down and stops. It makes this sound with or without the primary CVT installed. Is this normal? What is spinning down?

As far as I can tell the starter has no bendix and is direct drive relying on a sprag clutch. If my understanding is that if the crank shaft stops, the rotor attached to it stops, the sprag clutch installed to the rotor doesn't allow the clutch driven gear to spin?

Sounds almost exactly the same as this Sportsman youtube clip:

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outlander XMR 650
5,201 Posts
First time I've ever heard of that outta these machines, interesting..... especially in that it does it with the primary removed. That, to me, then isolates it to the starter, as there's nothing else that could/should be free-wheeling, after the rotating assembly comes to a stop.

Have you tried bumping the start button, as it's "winding down" ? Should tell you whether or not the starter is to blame

Reactions: xsever

·
Nobody Special
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
1,104 Posts
Sounds like the starter relay is stuck in the closed position.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First time I've ever heard of that outta these machines, interesting..... especially in that it does it with the primary removed. That, to me, then isolates it to the starter, as there's nothing else that could/should be free-wheeling, after the rotating assembly comes to a stop.
This is my thinking as well. If the sprag clutch was bad I wouldn't expect it to start so well. It would have to be a two way bearing to freewheel like that at the end unless somehow it's spinning backwards?

Have you tried bumping the start button, as it's "winding down" ? Should tell you whether or not the starter is to blame
Interesting idea to see if I can stop it bumping the ignition. Might need to take the case off and see what's going on

Sounds like the starter relay is stuck in the closed position.
Wouldn't that mean the starter would be firing all the time? It starts properly. Starter isn't turning the motor over with ignition on. Just sounds like the starter is spinning after the engine is turned off. It shouldn't be able to freewheel as it's a one way bearing.

·
Nobody Special
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
1,104 Posts
I have had this happen before in automotive applications. When the relay or selinoid sticks, the starter continues to spin. When the engine starts, the bendix will disengage. The starter kicking in engages the benix. Free spinning does not engage the bendix.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have had this happen before in automotive applications. When the relay or selinoid sticks, the starter continues to spin. When the engine starts, the bendix will disengage. The starter kicking in engages the benix. Free spinning does not engage the bendix.
Are you sure there is a bendix on the 800R EFI starter? There is a sprag clutch/one way bearing attached to the rotor attached to the crank shaft. Pretty sure there isn't a bendix as well?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Can-Am Outlander Max XT 650
1,108 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. These diagrams reflect how I understand it works. The starter (1) is geared directly into a double gear (4) which is geared directly into a single gear (5) which is directly geared to the driven gear. The driven gear is attached via sprag clutch (8) (one way bearing basically) to the rotar/flywheel(12) which is attached to the crank shaft.

Starter turns the driven gear and the sprags catch which causes the flywheel to rotate which is attached to the crank shaft and your engine starts. The crank shaft turning by itself will disengage the sprags (faster than starter) and the starter should no longer be turning. So I can't see how it could be freewheeling unless the motor kicked it backwards into a spin or the sprag has failed in a way that it starts fine but is also allowing enough slippage for it to freewheel when turning off the engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In this video when it stalls it's the same noise.

Is this not normal for these engines? Maybe it's just the sprag gear catching at low speed and makes the starter motor turn until the crank shaft completely stops.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts