Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello 4 wheelers. I bought my first quad this spring. I bought the 2019 Outlander 850 XT. I am a big guy, 350lbs and it looks like I'm on the hunt for a new set of springs already as the ones that came on my model are toast. I know I am a big guy, I got the quad to be more active and do more to lose weight. Here's my question. will a Outlander XLT 2up shock and spring set up fit on the Outlander XT? Or can anybody suggest a good fix? Heading back up north next weekend so I'd like to hop it up quickly. I'm handy and cad do the work myself. Besides losing weight, what would you ssy my best option is?

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
2,566 Posts
There's something wrong here......your bike has a what, 7? 800lb? payload capacity? Why would you think your "mere" 350lb has wrecked your springs? And even if that is the case, that's a new bike, it'd be a warranty issue if you've got suspension problems. You shouldn't be shopping out of pocket for parts, imo.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey man when I started wheeling it was toward the end of my powerlifting career. So I was pushing upwards of 325lbs at some points. Even though the machine was rated for much more then that the OEM springs weren't cutting it. I put a complete set of EPI springs on. Did the trick and still working 3k miles later.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's something wrong here......your bike has a what, 7? 800lb? payload capacity? Why would you think your "mere" 350lb has wrecked your springs? And even if that is the case, that's a new bike, it'd be a warranty issue if you've got suspension problems. You shouldn't be shopping out of pocket for parts, imo.
Thanks for responding. I was riding with a bunch of people. One guy asked me what I tjought of my new ride. I told him it's awesome. I was sitting on my quad and he said my springs are 1/2 inch off my rubber boot on both sides. I got off and the quad he couldn't believe how much the quad rose back to resting position. He pushed down on the back and everyone couldn't believe the ease of the shock compression. He had me do the same on his polaris and I couldn't push his down 6 inches. He told me my speings were shot. I was already thinking that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey man when I started wheeling it was toward the end of my powerlifting career. So I was pushing upwards of 325lbs at some points. Even though the machine was rated for much more then that the OEM springs weren't cutting it. I put a complete set of EPI springs on. Did the trick and still working 3k miles later.
Sounds like something I should look into. Can you give me more info so I can check it out first thing tomorrow so I can order them if they are what I need. Thank's allot for responding. (y)

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
2,566 Posts
Y'all blowing my simple mind over here... new bikes, rated for easily double your weight, designed to haul deer, gas cans, ice chests, camping gear, and on and on, collapse the springs after a few months/miles? How is that acceptable?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well speaking from my experience I also ride/rode extremely aggressive and fast. So my suspension was pushed to it's limits. So that coupled with my weight at that point in time OEM springs didn't hold up for long.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Y'all blowing my simple mind over here... new bikes, rated for easily double your weight, designed to haul deer, gas cans, ice chests, camping gear, and on and on, collapse the springs after a few months/miles? How is that acceptable?
Well obviously you don't remember when you thought Cracker Jack toys were awesome until you actually got one yourself. It's obviouse this has happened before or else they wouldn't sell heavy duty springs. Right?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well speaking from my experience I also ride/rode extremely aggressive and fast. So my suspension was pushed to it's limits. So that coupled with my weight at that point in time OEM springs didn't hold up for long.
Looks like my springs couldn't handle it either. I checked out EPI and from what I see, they do not sell heavy duty springs for my quad.....yet.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
2,566 Posts
Well obviously you don't remember when you thought Cracker Jack toys were awesome until you actually got one yourself. It's obviouse this has happened before or else they wouldn't sell heavy duty springs. Right?
Not sure if serious or not, heh...... but if it matters, I don't recall any cracker jack toys costing north of five figures, or designed to hold up houses.

But hey it's your money, pal, if you're "ok" with just taking BRP's flaw in stride and throwing more money at it on top, well, go on with ya bed self, lol.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Neal, I will add to the good comments here by saying that you would probably benefit greatly from having more damping control in addition to higher spring rates. You should look at Fox Podium shocks and see if you can fit heavier springs. I bought them in 2017 for $525 on Ebay. I saw today they are now $1029 and still worth your consideration at that price. They have more and better damping than the stock shocks and they give a great ride.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure if serious or not, heh...... but if it matters, I don't recall any cracker jack toys costing north of five figures, or designed to hold up houses.

But hey it's your money, pal, if you're "ok" with just taking BRP's flaw in stride and throwing more money at it on top, well, go on with ya bed self, lol.
Just joking around a little. To be serious, I am not going to let them off the hook, I have been talking to the dealer today and I will post the outcome afterwards. They are checking to see if the xlt 2up suspention will fit my xt.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
2,566 Posts
Just joking around a little. To be serious, I am not going to let them off the hook, I have been talking to the dealer today and I will post the outcome afterwards. They are checking to see if the xlt 2up suspention will fit my xt.
K good. I mean we all play the "upgrade/mods" game, taking something that's "working", but making it better for our usage and/or liking, but that's not what I'm talking about here. To me, the scenario you're experiencing is 100% a "failure", so I didn't understand all of the upgrade comments.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Hello 4 wheelers. I bought my first quad this spring. I bought the 2019 Outlander 850 XT. I am a big guy, 350lbs and it looks like I'm on the hunt for a new set of springs already as the ones that came on my model are toast. I know I am a big guy, I got the quad to be more active and do more to lose weight. Here's my question. will a Outlander XLT 2up shock and spring set up fit on the Outlander XT? Or can anybody suggest a good fix? Heading back up north next weekend so I'd like to hop it up quickly. I'm handy and cad do the work myself. Besides losing weight, what would you ssy my best option is?
SEARCH the Forum for PIPE lift or 2" lift..price for 4 billet aluminum pieces runs under $ 20.00
I was about 300 # when I got my 650Xt and the front end "roll under" because of the soft shocks was BAD..Opposite REAR tire coming HIGH off the ground while turning, especially DOWNHILL. Had the spring/shocks on their HIGHEST SETTING.

After I put the 2" pipelift in the Front end (only) I made a HUGE difference.. I never did get around to installing the two REAR spring compressors..
still sitting on my workbench. A cheap FIX.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts