Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 XMR 1000 and as of late I noticed if the suspension is at level 3 or higher the suspension squeaks. I greased all the zerks and still the squeak remains. Even if i just rock the bike back and forth. Any idea what it could be and how I can fix it? It's just driving me crazy now cause that's all I'm paying attention to when riding.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Take all your suspension off and grease all the bushings in the shocks, a arms, trailing arms, etc. They get dirt in them and don't have enough lube, so they squeak.
Start with the shock bushings first and see if that helps.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yep i had the same problem. Greased after every ride, still squeaked like krazy. Took all the shocks off, greased every o-ring and bushing, no more squeaks. Quiet as can be.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Mine squeaks too but it' from the trailing arm bushings and I'm hesitant to take on such a big job, plus having to buy the bushing nut tool. But....if I'm gonna start breaking everything down I'm gonna replace them all with rubber down custom bushings instead of greasing up the factories and them begin to squeak again later.

·
Registered
283 Posts
When you grease the zerk fittings, do all of them with the atv on the ground then jack it up so all tires are off the ground and grease them again. Works for me, no squeaking.

·
Registered
795 Posts
My squeaks have always been shock bushings. When i pull them apart they are dry and rusty.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I did exactly what this guy did and no more squeaks. Rides like a new bike.

You can easily access the rear propeller shaft u-joints from underneath when you have the rear jacked up.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
How often on average do you al grease your ride? Certain number of hours? ...every 5-10-20???

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I hate greasing mine, just for the simple fact that if I don't wipe up all the excess grease, then dirt accumulates in it from the dust I ride in, so I grease it probably every 20 hrs, but thats NO MUD riding, all trails.

My buddys a farmer and he told me that when he was young he had an identical tractor to his brother and his brother left all the grease accumulate on the grease points on his tractor and he wiped his all clean. After 5-10 years and similar usage and hours, his brothers wear points were all worn out from the dirt working its way into the pivot points and his was tight as could be because he wiped all the excess grease off. So, I try to do a neat job greasing mine and it takes me forever to do it and wipe it clean, so I hate that job! lol

Reactions: Spawn

·
Registered
503 Posts
I try to grease after every ride. I just recently started using Amsoil Marine Grease. I havent used it long enough to have an opinion yet though.

Reactions: Spawn

·
Registered
651 Posts
I try to grease after every ride. I just recently started using Amsoil Marine Grease. I havent used it long enough to have an opinion yet though.
I would guess that's some good stuff.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been using the Mobile 1 Synthetic on mine around 20 hours. Just doing all the zerks while the machine is lifted. Think I'll have to take it apart and see what else will need greasing. Going on a trip to Lake St Peter in a few weeks so I want it done by then.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts