Can-Am ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The oil change was last done in July 2020.

I put the screwdriver in the starter hole. The starter gear turns in both directions, in one direction it returns by itself to its initial position.

Yes like bells ringing

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
perfect, I will remove the rear cover

for the starter clutch it is correct or not?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It's possible yes .. Normally I can only turn on one side? So there really is a problem there.

I am in the process of removing the parts to have access to the back cover I should be good to give an update this weekend.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Normally turning the gear in one direction you should be rotating the engine and in the other it just rotates the gear (freewheels).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I understand the gear is not supposed to come back on itself on a side like mine though?

At the moment do you have any idea where my problem lies?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Not from the clues given, sorry. If the motor is not able to turn over and you have metal on the drain plug since this july I would expect something has broken or come loose inside and you are simply rolling the dice on which cover to pull first.

Given the issues these have had with similar issues on two machines on here I would start with the rear cover. understand if nothing there you next have the choice to remove the top end (piston and cylinder) in the frame or just pull the motor. Maybe attempt removing the front cover first.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I better start with the back cover to see what happens there? If nothing front cover?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Update

I had time to work on the traxter today. I decided to remove the engine completely to facilitate work and space.
Once the engine is out I turn the engine manually and it is a "clock" style noise. It turns on one side and stop(block) leave on the other side again the noise and stop(block).

Do you still advise me to start towards the back cover?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Perfect, once the cover is removed I can turn the engine (with wrench) to see what really happens after the visual inspection?

Do you have any advice for me before I start?

thank you so much

·
Registered
140 Posts
remove the water pump cover first .
leave the solenoids for the shifting on the case. should pop right off but lots of screws.

·
Registered
140 Posts
so hard to tell but from what I see nothing is terrible so far. Check that all the bolts holding the rotor are tight and you will start digging deeper looking for the source of the steel that is stuck to your magnets. In my case the metal was contained in the rear cover area so for it to be built up in that area there is a good chance it originated from there.

I would pull the flywheel next to check your starter clutch as they can produce metal when failed. Flywheel nut is reverse thread iirc, verify this and then you can easily impact it off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I found the problem. Behind the rear cover everything seems in very good condition. I removed the head from the motor, because the noise seemed to come from the piston. So here it is just to look at the pictures to understand the problem...

·
Registered
140 Posts
So the piston was hitting the head and broke the piston now the question is what was allowing the piston to hit the head. It looks like you have the piston off the rod does the rod or crankshaft have up and down play? The cracked piston would not be the source of the steel you have found on the magnets but a bad main being could be.

You need to solve the riddle of what allowed the piston to hit the head as well as where the metal came from . Bad main bearings or rod bearing couple be possible so they need to be checked. You may need to buy or make the special 46 or 48mm socket to remove the nut on the front to split the cases. I did not need to so stopped at that point but there were a couple of them for sale on ebay for about $130usd.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
How to properly check the play on rod and crankshaft? (I would send you a video but I can check again)

The head is not damaged. The cylinder yes

I looked on the internet and I can't even find a piston (parts number: 420296110) ...

Would it be better to find a complete engine? I ask the question, because I wonder if it could not be simpler .. ??

21 - 40 of 40 Posts