Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help with starting .
On trying to start.either hot or cold the starter will engage then let go.at the bendix..took cover off and it just sitting there spinning. On first thought i reckon the starter was going backwards. But it is not. Bendix will not thrust forward.
Things I've done.
1 changed starter
2 change out spark plug
3 checked valve clearance.all good
4 checked timing all good.
5 took off primary and checked operation of bendix all good.
6 jumped to starter from battery. Still no thrust.
7 load test battery all good.

The only thing left is to replace bendix and spring and the plastic cover.
Anyone had similar issue?.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like the armature inside the starter isn’t working properly, only way to know is to take it all apart but you’ll void any warranties on the starter, best bet is bring it to a dealer or order a new one and have the test it on a battery before you take it home to know it’s working properly

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reason for the change of spark plug is because with the plug removed the motor will turn over normally.
Some times it does start with plug in.
The problem is it is a working vehicle so prefer no downtime.
Thanks for your time and it will be great if this is solved.
I want that victory dance
Sounds like the armature inside the starter isn’t working properly, only way to know is to take it all apart but you’ll void any warranties on the starter, best bet is bring it to a dealer or order a new one and have the test it on a battery before you take it home to know it’s working properly
Thank you for reply. The old starter motor and the new behave the same.😐.
I took new motor to the dealer. They found no fault.
So I suppose it must be the bendix.
With the spark plug out there is no problem cranking..... though I did notice the bendix pulsates in and out.?

·
Registered
2019 Can-Am Defender HD8 DPS with lots of bolt-ons with no performance enhancements.
229 Posts
I know you load tested the battery. Have you tried charging it fully or jumping it to see if it starts.

I’m a little confused.. is it cranking over and not starting or is the starter not engaging?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts