Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

I ride a 2016 Defender XT with 2400 miles
I am experiencing steering wheel sloop both right and left with no movement to wheels. when I was riding the deep snow the machine was all over but it tracked better on hard pavement. I just did an alignment and believe my tie rods are not the issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated to help trouble shoot this problem? If everything is tight at the wheel and tie rods is there any adjust on the rack or power steering box?

·
Registered
808 Posts
No adjustment. Pull the boots back and there will be a joint see if the play is there or in the steering rack. If its in the joint I think you can get those from super atv otherwise you will need a new rack and pinion.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Reactions: SuperATV

·
Vendor
225 Posts
^^^ Yep. Could be the inner joint. If not, you've got slop in your rack. We're working on a rack for it right now. Should be ready in a month or two.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No adjustment. Pull the boots back and there will be a joint see if the play is there or in the steering rack. If its in the joint I think you can get those from super atv otherwise you will need a new rack and pinion.

Thanks, I will be working on it this weekend will give an update after.......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^ Yep. Could be the inner joint. If not, you've got slop in your rack. We're working on a rack for it right now. Should be ready in a month or two.
Thanks, I will be working on it this weekend will give an update after....... Please give me a heads up when you come out with the rack!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I inspected it this weekend. All the play(slop) is in the rack! Super ATV??? How is your rack going to hold up? Looking forward to see what you guys come up with! I am not interested in buying OEM with all the problems I see they have.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I inspected it this weekend. All the play(slop) is in the rack! Super ATV??? How is your rack going to hold up? Looking forward to see what you guys come up with! I am not interested in buying OEM with all the problems I see they have.
I’m all for super atv and all. I have almost everything the offer for my defender but I will say as far as steering racks go check out TCR performance. It’s expensive but when you see it you’ll know why. It’s a monster and I can’t think of anyway possible to break that thing.

Reactions: SuperATV and Bull74

·
Registered
808 Posts
The 2019s and up have a new part number for the steering rack. I have one installed on my 2017 defender so we will see how it holds up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 2019s and up have a new part number for the steering rack. I have one installed on my 2017 defender so we will see how it holds up.

How was it taking the old steering rack out? And then putting the new one in? The front diff is right under the rack and it really tight in that area!

·
Registered
808 Posts
It was a bit of a pain but doable. I didn't remove anything other than the rack. One of those bolts is a real pain to get to.

·
Registered
808 Posts
The dumb thing is when you order the rack from Can-Am it doesn't come with tie rods or ends. So all that has to come off the old rack.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was a bit of a pain but doable. I didn't remove anything other than the rack. One of those bolts is a real pain to get to.

Thanks for the feed back!
I think I'm going to put up with the slop in the wheel until Super ATV comes out with an after market rack! Unless it gets so bad that I need to address it sooner than later!

·
Vendor
225 Posts
Awesome! We have a beefy heavy duty Rack Boss rack on the list in about 3 months, and then...............shhh... A MASSIVE top end line coming for most models shortly after.

Reactions: Freewill
1 - 13 of 13 Posts