Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is the shifter stiff. Its takes a little bit of force to shift gears. Some times ill go into low and its like it gets cought in between high n low, start moving with no problem but when off throttle itll make a grinding noise when coasting.

When i shift from reverse to a drive gear or the other way around it feels like its stuck in that gear n ill pull on the shifter then it will les loose n go into the other gear. Whats the cause of this. Done it since 0 miles. Bike has 160 on it

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd be taking that problem to the dealer , sounds like a linkage alignment problem.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea im going to. They need to look at the front end also. Thers a loud metalic ping noise when i hit a bump or the suspencion flexes a certian way.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Make sure you are only shifting while not moving...you aren't suppose to go from low to high or vice versa while moving....while it's stopped try rocking forward and backward to get the gears to line up. Having to do so, is common...I believe it's called the "can am hump"....as far as the grinding noise goes while just driving, I'd go to the dealer as well...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yea im going to. They need to look at the front end also. Thers a loud metalic ping noise when i hit a bump or the suspencion flexes a certian way.
The metallic ping noise you hear...is it only when in four wheel drive? Let me know what the dealer has to say about that.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make sure you are only shifting while not moving...you aren't suppose to go from low to high or vice versa while moving....while it's stopped try rocking forward and backward to get the gears to line up. Having to do so, is common...I believe it's called the "can am hump"....as far as the grinding noise goes while just driving, I'd go to the dealer as well...
The grinding only happens when i put it in low but the display shows high. It happens alot but ive learned to make sure the display showl low b4 taking off, most of the time i put it in low i have to push the shifter foward 2 to get low. The grinding only happend 2 times not somuch grinding more like the noise ur transmission in ur car makes when u throw it in park but still roaling lol.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The metallic ping noise you hear...is it only when in four wheel drive? Let me know what the dealer has to say about that.
Nope it dose it out of 4x4. It does it more n more every time i take it out. My 06 suzuki vinson does it also i neber figured it out on that bike eather. I inspect my bike after every ride and nothing shows signs of wear or broken. The best way i can describe the noise is take the shank of a screw driver and hit it against a peice of pipe, that metal ting is the noise. It does it when i come down from a wheelie and the front shicks compress hard

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Grinding. sounds like your not in gear, that and the fact your having trouble shifting is almost guaranteed that is the problem.

The loud metallic ping is your rear anti sway bushings. Probably loose mounting bolts, 2 on each side. The OEM bushings are not so great. They have a grease fitting but the grease leaks out the sides before it gets all the way around the bushing, they tend to wear out fast especially if they are loose.

In case the dealer didn't tell you, grease all your grease points every couple hundred miles and if your into mudding grease them every ride. The maintenance schedule for grease is too long between applications.

·
Registered
299 Posts
im guessing you driving in low for most of the time? If so, check out how the manual says to use your low and high. i have an 09 outlander max and i go by what manual says. Not that this will help with your problem? With canned hams, i've always had to rock the boat to get it to slide into gear. I feel odd when i'm around others (non canam), and they watching me, rocking my ride to get it into gear. Bummer, it's not like these units are cheap. You'd think by now Canam would have that resolved?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Gotta do the hump to get it into gear. It's normal.

The grinding is because it's not fully into gear.

The clunk, I have the same thing and it's gotten worse over time. It's definitely coming from the front. Only thing I can tell is maybe the axles clunking in and out of the front diff? That's the only thing that has play on mine. Dealer couldn't find anything when I brought it to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so please excuse my fat finger syndrome.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I know it sounds like it's coming from the front but if you check out related threads you'll see over and over that the sounds is perceived as originating from the front yet the source is the rear anti sway bar bushings.

Reactions: BLinindoll

·
Registered
120 Posts
I know it sounds like it's coming from the front but if you check out related threads you'll see over and over that the sounds is perceived as originating from the front yet the source is the rear anti sway bar bushings.

Hmm... I'll have to check it out. If that's all it is, it's a huge relief. I am still doubtful though just judging by the front suspension movement in relation to the clunk I have. I actually just was riding through my yard yesterday and purposely hit a small mound of dirt with the left wheels about a foot high. The clunk occurred as soon as the front suspension began to compress, before any twisting motion was transferred to the rear. I'm not ruling it out though, and since I have no other ideas up front, I'll definitely check the sway bar bushings. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so please excuse my fat finger syndrome.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts