Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I just looked at my Stock MRX 800 air filter!

I would like to know which filter and or filter setup is my best option...

The stock pre-filter had no oil on it, and the filter is very dirty...

below are some photos.

Thanks

Donna

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi

I have found this uni nu-8703st review link
any thoughts on this filter?

www.ATVPT.com - UNI_Filter_NU_8703ST

Donna

Facts:

Uni Filters are a two in one filter.
This means you can take it apart to clean and oil it.​

Note: You need to use filter oil on both layers to obtain maximum results.​

Uni's are a direct factory replacement.
This means they will fit any stock airbox application without any modification.​

Installation is so easy with the Can-Am Renegade, and also the Outlanders too. I have found the Can-Am ATV line to be the easiest ATV to remove the plastic from for maintenance. Installing the air filter is a breeze. Just remove the top plastic, remove the air box lid, remove the air filter, and replace it with the Uni.

I found it easier to remove the 45 degree snorkel with the air filter attached, remove the air filter from the snorkel. You then attach the filter to the snorkel, and install the air filter/snorkel in the air box together as shown in the picture above.

Replace your air box lid, plastic, and you are ready to hit the nastiest of trails.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
You will loose power with the UNI.. Nothing performs as good as the stock filter.. We always just spray some filter oil on the prefiler part to help with dust.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the stock filter is already dirty and that would mean we would have to purchase a new OEm anyways....

Why would UNI restrict power?

Donna

You will loose power with the UNI.. Nothing performs as good as the stock filter.. We always just spray some filter oil on the prefiler part to help with dust.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Yes there is nothing as good as stock on these bikes.. its been proven on the Dyno.. Heck I even have a 09 airfilter on my 07..

I would recommend Purchasing another OEM filter for your Bike and Spraying the Foam part with a good Quality Air filter oil spray before instaling it..

YOu can also take the FIlter and Take a Long airblower and blow the dust and stuff back off it ( from the inside) and keep it cleaner a lil longer in the future

I use Maxima FFT on my filters, very very very sticky

·
Registered
458 Posts
the uni is made for 08 and later models...cause of the elbow on the end is why you will lose power...

right now twin air has the only air filter that is for the 2009 and up models...

but what you have to do (it says in the manual as well) and some dealer do it and some dont is get some filter treatment stuff and treat just the green outer filter..

I have over 1700km on my 2010 and although my filter is starting to get dirty my throttle body is pretty much spotless...

my foam part is red cause of the treatment I use...also keep in mind that I have cleaned my filter and the inside of the air box probably 5-6 times already...but I have never cleaned the throttle body...

heres some pics..

·
Registered
458 Posts
oh and this is what I use...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On Uni's site they clam "BETTER AIR FLOW" using their filters... and they are totally cleanable!

New Products

Why Foam is Better

anyone have experience with them?

Donna

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Dynos have proven Nothing performs as good as Stock..

There are several threads about this on the forum

Do you notice the 90 degree elbow in the picture? That is where the HP is lost at on the bikes.

If you dont care about HP get the uni for its cleaning abilitys and reuseablity factor, but if you like HP stick with stock

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
I use the Uni and a prefilter over the snorkel,it looks fresh every time I clean it.

How much power loss does a Uni show on a dyno compared to stock?
Best I remember it was very little.

·
Registered
458 Posts
you guys are missing what myself and CANAMCHRIS are saying...

with the 09 and up model this includes your 2011 XMR...the airfilter is designed for straight in air flow to your Throttlebody.

yes the uni is a great filter for the 08 models and lower...UNLESS they have an 09 intake...

the reason is not the uni filter where you lose your power it comes from the elbow where the uni attaches...that bend alone will make you lose power...and from what I have seen (never dyno'd myself) but it has been posted it is like 4-5 Rear wheel horse power JUST from that elbow...

if you want the uni get it..dont matter to us...we are just trying to help..

if you want to keep your power gain do as I do and just use treatment on your stock airfilter or get a twinair foam filter that is made for the 09 and up models..

I hope this is clear..

Stiff

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Uni just came out with a filter for the outty 2011 model

Its the UK=1920ST
and they claim better air flo and improved HP...

New Products

·
Registered
458 Posts
Uni just came out with a filter for the outty 2011 model

Its the UK=1920ST
and they claim better air flo and improved HP...

New Products
on their site still looks like the old one...and like I said with that elbow on it there wont be better air flow...more bends less flow...less power..

Id like to see a real pic...maybe the one they show there is just an old pic..

buy it and show us :yahoo:

·
Registered
1,510 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Osokill, that’s not a good comparison...

Has anyone used the UNI, I've seen some good reviews on some filters...

I do not like the stock one, We ride in very wet, muddy and yes DUSTY areas every week... I wear a face mask and goggles because of the trail of dust...

It would be great to have a cleanable filter... one that works good and you can clean many times without buying a new one...

One UNI $70.00 clean many times and it’s still $70.00
one stock filter $70.00 cannot clean it, so that $70.00 X more $$$$

If there is any loss of HP, which I’m not convinced of, I doubt that I would ever notice it! But my engine would notice the dust sucking in past the stock filter…

When we ride, we ride hard from around 5PM through 5ish AM, I have a new 2011 XMR and it has over 300 hrs on it now…

We have five ATVs stuck in the mud Sunday night about 1Am it took us over two hrs to get everyone out, after I used all my winch cable and added my 25 foot tow strap I hooked onto a tree dragging me through mud the whole way over my tires and foot pegs… finally got some footing got out and used more straps and pulled everyone else out! Fin, fun, fun…

The hard part was that the trails were very narrow, almost too narrow for the ATVs… and the Mud was deep and deeper even off of the trail… loved every minute of it… oh and did I mention that it was totally black out…

Donna :aniwheeler6:

and tobacco companies claim their cigarettes were safe and didnt cause cancer too doesnt mean its true

·
Registered
458 Posts
why are you asking our opinions...sounds like you made up your mind...buy the UNI...

I had a uni on my 2007 gade, 2007 outty and 2008 gade...they worked fine IMO...on my 2010 I ride the same conditions you do...mud/wet/dust/heat etc etc etc etc...I have no issues with my stock filter...you just have to treat the outer foam sleeve the same way you would treat a uni...

and IMO the new uni might work great...but Ill wait till someone gets one and shows some pics and tries it out...

if the uni is setup like the new filters then you probably wont lose or gain much...and it will be fine...but if it has the elbow then you will lose some and yes you will feel it...you will feel it around the mid and top end range...you have to remember more or less air doesnt just mean power...it means airflow...less or more airflow will help in throttle response etc etc...

I have rode a gade with an 09 filter and intake and I have rode a gade with out...there is a HUGE difference...granted alot of that also came from the intake..but just saying

·
Registered
746 Posts
I use the UNI filter but my bike is a 500.

Every other ride clean it and it's as new with great performance.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.