Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. Hope you are all safe and enjoyed holidays if you had them.

I am reorganizing my kit and have quick question on spare belts … is it okay to store them compressed like this long term?

Body jewelry Font Religious item Jewellery Gas

If it matters, for size comparison this a standard nato 5.56 ammo box.

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Max 450 DPS
693 Posts
I believe that it is not recommended to keep a belt bent backwards. It is maybe done by some suppliers when shipping, maybe to save space and shipping costs. Also, I have seen some bent like that in stock at a dealer but they do not have to live with it afterwards when in service. There will be a variety of answers to your question. The fact that you are asking the question means something.

·
Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
6,002 Posts
I can't see the downside. Remember, if that ever has to come into play, back in the bush, it's just meant to get you back home. You're not gonna strap the bike on a dyno and spray it, y'know?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't see the downside. Remember, if that ever has to come into play, back in the bush, it's just meant to get you back home. You're not gonna strap the bike on a dyno and spray it, y'know?
You always have the most logical answers. Love it; but, I also want to get a consensus before possibly ruining $180 CDN

·
Registered
2021 Can-Am Outlander 450
17 Posts
I don't see the harm. My SkiDoo spare belt is in a factory holder that holds the spare belt in the exact same way. I have carried a spare belt on the SkiDoo that way since 2012 with no ill effects on the snowmobile belt. I know we are talking about ATVs here but the principle and the operation is the same. I always install a new belt and then break it in before I store the belt. That way, if I shred a belt, I have a spare belt that is already broken in.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I jamb mine in between the seats of my Bearcat so it does take a bit of this shape I think, can't see it when it gets in there. My opinion is that it would probably not do that much harm if any. Will keep an eye on the replies.

·
Registered
2021 Outlander 850 max XT-P
420 Posts
It's a good question - some manufacturers recommend NOT bending the belt backwards BECAUSE - within the belt are aramid (kevlar) fibers. These fibers DO NOT stretch. They are positioned inside the rubber in a certain direction. When you bend the belt backwards it forces the rubber in a direction that it's not intended to go. The rubber is weaker than the fiber so it gives and possibly creates a weaker bond between the fibers and the rubber compound. Kinda like the tire on the inside of the turn travels less distance than the tire on the outside of the turn. With a locked DIF something has to give so the inside tire breaks traction. I received a belt that way in the mail and sent it back, well, because it's not good for the belt.

If you aren't pushing your bike to the ragged edge it probably won't matter. If you ride hard you may not want to take the chance.

Well? You asked ;)

The belt should never be brand NEW because the belt will need a little break in period. Most usually pop the belt on go through the break in then put it away ready for use. This is a PITA so the other option is to just swap the belt with a new one and keep the one they take off as the spare. Hence never new.

my 2 cents

·
Registered
2021 outlander 850 MAX XTP
702 Posts
Reason why not if new? It’s new…
I would consider a spare belt as one that has been taking off and still usable and would get you back without being towed . A new belt would be just that a new belt never put on or broke in .a new belt should be stored as it came in the little cardboard holder dodad thingy . And FYI your should always clean a new belt with soap and water. More people don’t then do . Lol

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
It's a good question - some manufacturers recommend NOT bending the belt backwards BECAUSE - within the belt are aramid (kevlar) fibers. These fibers DO NOT stretch. They are positioned inside the rubber in a certain direction. When you bend the belt backwards it forces the rubber in a direction that it's not intended to go. The rubber is weaker than the fiber so it gives and possibly creates a weaker bond between the fibers and the rubber compound. Kinda like the tire on the inside of the turn travels less distance than the tire on the outside of the turn. With a locked DIF something has to give so the inside tire breaks traction. I received a belt that way in the mail and sent it back, well, because it's not good for the belt.

If you aren't pushing your bike to the ragged edge it probably won't matter. If you ride hard you may not want to take the chance.

Well? You asked ;)

The belt should never be brand NEW because the belt will need a little break in period. Most usually pop the belt on go through the break in then put it away ready for use. This is a PITA so the other option is to just swap the belt with a new one and keep the one they take off as the spare. Hence never new.

my 2 cents
Thanks, all of these reasons sounds legit enough to me and also touch on why never new. I don’t abuse my rig (except that one time that I cracked a rim and my CVT housing was completely full of swamp mud because over the seat…), but it is obvious now why not having a brand new belt is desirable.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’m the opposite my pride would keep me out way past dark changing a belt in the field then be towed back !!! 🤣🤣🤣
Same, I would literally sleep in the woods first 😬

plus, a lot of areas where I go isn’t exactly tow friendly.

All of you folks have helped me decide; I appreciate that.

I’m going with:

1. Don’t bend it backwards;
2. Replace the factory belt with the new one in the shop with no lights on;
3. In doing 2, I will discover what I don’t have in my kit that I need to do a belt replacement in the woods
4. Factory belt becomes the spare belt.

Thanks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
FYI your should always clean a new belt with soap and water. More people don’t then do . Lol
What is the rational for this? My whole initial intention of putting it an ammo box was to keep it clean and not bouncing around and rubbing against things.

·
Registered
2018 Outlander 6x6
193 Posts
I can't fully answer for hillsdweller, bit I know that we are suppose to clean the belt with soap and water to remove the gunk from the belt from when it was manufactured. Things like release agents, etc. We want to keep our belts clean and same with the sheaves. It is a great idea to replace your belt at home so you know that you have everything in your kit to do it. I also saw a couple simple mods that I did so I wouldn't have to remove my floorboard.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts