Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 renegade 1000 xxc and lately the police have been giving me problems because i cross the street or ride on the street for a quarter mile to get from somewhere to another. I live on Long Island. I just think it’s unfair how a harley can go by a neighborhood at 3 am and wake everyone up and snowmobiles can also do whatever they want. I was just wondering if there’s a loophole to the whole atv street legalization thing in NY. Or if I could register it in another state (many friends who live across the US) where atvs are street legal and ride in NY. Thanks and have a good day.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The only way to do it is to move out of NY. We have some of the strictest laws in country on everything and especially on offroad vehicles. They can't even figure out a class to put utv's in so you have to register them in PA.
So if you put evething you need on it they wouldn't have a class for it,it wouldn't pass inspection, and they wouldn't know what license you need to drive it. Lol
Your lucky to find legal places to ride off-road let alone trying to ride on the road with it.
I have as much insurance coverage on my Atv as most cars on the road and it gets you nothing.
Registration is a joke.
Many years ago they raised registration because they were gonna set some $away for "trail fund" never happened they spent it on something else and the next year the registration went back down. Big scam.
Good luck! :smilietwocents:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Not sure what the exact measurement is , but if you stay a certain number of feet off the road surface , you are then on "private property" making it tough for them to make a case .

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not sure what the exact measurement is , but if you stay a certain number of feet off the road surface , you are then on "private property" making it tough for them to make a case .
However then you are trespassing and if you damage someones grass then its destruction of private property. All depending how your neighbors are of course.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
However then you are trespassing and if you damage someones grass then its destruction of private property. All depending how your neighbors are of course.
Exactly

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
You can legally ride on the streets of NY! During a State of Emergency only. NY and NJ suck. You can register your Atv or sxs in PA for $20 for 2 yrs. this gets you a plate but no title. And still not street legal but they don’t bust your nuggets. You can legally cross a road in PA but not ride on the road unless the town has approved it and signage is visible like in Renovo, PA and SSRT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
You can legally ride on the streets of NY! During a State of Emergency only. NY and NJ suck. You can register your Atv or sxs in PA for $20 for 2 yrs. this gets you a plate but no title. And still not street legal but they don’t bust your nuggets. You can legally cross a road in PA but not ride on the road unless the town has approved it and signage is visible like in Renovo, PA and SSRT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
add mass to the states that suck.. you need to register to ride your atv on your own property !! there is also sh!t for trails to ride... its why everyone rides in NH. So much better But they too are going through some legal battles right now...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts