Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Superwinch Terra 3500 winch on my new Can Am Outlander Max 800 DPS today and thought I would share a few items with some of the other people here. First, the Terra 3500 winch doesn't fit through the frame opening. You can get one side in, but then you can't get the other side in. I ground down the top of the casting on the winch on the side of the engagement clutch. Now that the winch was in the cavity, it was time to bolt it up. Well, not so quick, the bolt holes didn't line up 100%. I grabbed a step drill and opened up the mounting holes to 1/2 inch. Now the bolts would all fit. I applied lock tite to all the bolts and secured the winch. I removed the inner front right fender liner and found the mounting tab for the winch solenoid. I moved the solenoid around and used one factory hole and drilled another and mounted the solenoid with self tapping screws. I removed the plastic that contains the cluster and found a pair of wires, red and black that were plugged into a cap. I removed the terminal from the cap and tested the red wire. It was hot with key on only. I used this wire to supply voltage to the remotes. I grounded the solenoid to the front cylinder head and ran a + cable to the battery and secured all the wiring with zip ties. I mounted the in/out switch to the left handle bar and installed the remote plug in to the right side upper plastic. Sorry, I was lazy and didn't take any photo's, but if needed I can add some later.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I will be installing the same winch on my 2014 650 DPS. Surprised you had to grind part of the winch off to get in frame. I guess I will have the same problem.
Did you run a 6ga. wire from the winch motor to battery?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Grinding it is one way I suppose. Myself, I simply separated the motor from the spool and gearbox (4mm allen bolts) to slip it by the bracketry, bolted it back together once in. The mounting bolt pattern is identical to the Warn I removed, so I had no issue with fastening it in place.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks sledman. I will try your method of separating motor from gearbox. Any other helpful hints would be appreciated.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Grinding it is one way I suppose. Myself, I simply separated the motor from the spool and gearbox (4mm allen bolts) to slip it by the bracketry, bolted it back together once in. The mounting bolt pattern is identical to the Warn I removed, so I had no issue with fastening it in place.
I did this also! Worked for me 2

·
Registered
101 Posts
Any other helpful hints would be appreciated.
Like said, mine came apart with 4mm allen head bolts. To aid you in putting it back together having the 4mm allen key on a 3/8 drive socket along with an 8" to 12" 3/8 extension will make it go easier. Add a dab of blue Loctite to all the bolts as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will be installing the same winch on my 2014 650 DPS. Surprised you had to grind part of the winch off to get in frame. I guess I will have the same problem.
Did you run a 6ga. wire from the winch motor to battery?
Battery + to solenoid with 6 gauge wire, then solenoid to winch motor with 6 gauge wire. Ground terminal on solenoid to front cylinder head with 6 gauge wire.

·
Registered
134 Posts
mine fits great on my 2013 renegade and for all the use it gets i say it works great has never left me stranded and i ride in the worst skeg around all day long

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, no one else had any issues with the mounting bolt holes lining up? Mine were a 1/8 inch off. My winch works great though and this winch got transferred from my Honda and was used on it for 1+ years with no issues.

·
Registered
134 Posts
mine fit awesome but i have a renegade not a outlander ... same frames tho

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine bolted up without issue. I split it in half like sledman as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
After you unbolt motor, what path do you take into the mounting area. I'm asking all these questions now because my outlander is in Colorado and I am in Texas. Won't be in Colorado until first of May. The more I get figured out now the better the install will go.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I just wish somebody would come up with a remote way to turn the lever from engage to free spool and back again cause I'm tired of reaching under water and through the muck!

·
Registered
132 Posts
No I didn't I used the harness that came with the winch

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the info. I finished installing winch yesterday. I ended up grinding less than 1/16" off winch housing to get in. I started to take winch apart, but one bolt was starting to strip and I'm not sure what happens when winch comes apart.
Connected supplied circuit breaker to + battery terminal. Had to drill out hole on breaker and cut part of breaker base to fit in. Used short red #6 wire to ground to mounting bolt on what looks like control module. Made a bracket with plate steel to mount solenoid and then bolted plate to factory bracket. Everything else pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any pics of the install....? I Just purchased my terra 3500 of Amazon. What part of the housing did you have to grind? Is it better to maybe to grind the bracket opening rather than the winch? I'm pretty savvy when it comes to mechanics, just never installed a winch before.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did not take any pics. I ground the top corner off on the clutch end. This would be oriented with the mounting holes on the winch facing the mounting holes on the atv bracket. My holes lined up perfectly once in. When you look at winch you would think you have to grind off both ends equally, but once a little is taken off the clutch end it will go. I cut a small piece of plate steel that I mounted to the factory solenoid bracket on atv and then mounted solenoid to the plate steel. I drilled pilot holes in the plate and factory bracket and used drill point screws. Everything else is pretty straight forward.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts