Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Xtp 1000r
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've already replaced my rear left tail light once and it's burnt out again. And it's not just the filament it's gotten so hot the actual bulb gets brittle and breaks. I have to take needle nose pliers to get it out. I can't find anything in the the wiring harness that's shorting out. Right tail light is fine haven't touched it since new. Only have like 300 miles on the machine, 2021 outlander 1000 xtp. Anyone else have issues blowing bulbs?

·
Admin
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
1,988 Posts
So I've already replaced my rear left tail light once and it's burnt out again. And it's not just the filament it's gotten so hot the actual bulb gets brittle and breaks. I have to take needle nose pliers to get it out. I can't find anything in the the wiring harness that's shorting out. Right tail light is fine haven't touched it since new. Only have like 300 miles on the machine, 2021 outlander 1000 xtp. Anyone else have issues blowing bulbs?
I did until I purchased LED bulbs on ebay. Real cheap and work well.

Reactions: Zeek

·
Admin
1,988 Posts
Most parts stores should carry the LED bulbs. It is a standard automotive brake light bulb socket.

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Xtp 1000r
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I noticed the led you posted doesn't look like it would fit mine it's more this type. But yeah I should be able to find them at any auto store. Might look tomorrow.

LUYED 2 x 800 Lumens Super Bright 1157 2835 33-EX Chipsets 1157 2057 2357 7528 LED Bulbs Used For Turn Signal Lights,Tail Lights,Xenon White https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01B17ZXTI/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_6XVFHX42FVY6G0019CG9

·
Admin
1,988 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Can-Am Outlander 570 Pro
290 Posts
The left side is notorious for burning out , and the wires are a bit short on that side too ! Mine did already break so extended them a bit. Had LED bulbs too but they did not last long

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Xtp 1000r
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The left side is notorious for burning out , and the wires are a bit short on that side too ! Mine did already break so extended them a bit. Had LED bulbs too but they did not last long
So you replaced with led bulbs and those burned out too? So because the wiring is too short that's causing the bulb to burn out? That sounds like a design flaw. They should fix something like that under warranty shouldn't they?

·
Registered
290 Posts
So you replaced with led bulbs and those burned out too? So because the wiring is too short that's causing the bulb to burn out? That sounds like a design flaw. They should fix something like that under warranty shouldn't they?
I think the cable lenght is not doing the damage , its just a design flaw

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Xtp 1000r
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the cable lenght is not doing the damage , its just a design flaw

You said you spliced more wire to lengthen it. Did that remedy the problem of burning out bulbs? I'd like to try the led route but if it's going to do the same thing I don't really feel like spending more on bulbs to have the same thing happen on a more expensive led.

·
Registered
290 Posts
You said you spliced more wire to lengthen it. Did that remedy the problem of burning out bulbs? I'd like to try the led route but if it's going to do the same thing I don't really feel like spending more on bulbs to have the same thing happen on a more expensive led.
Did it because my cable already fell off, and with the led bulbs i would call that luck , it could be that i had a bad pair….

Reactions: Zeek

·
Registered
674 Posts
Got a couple led's on order hopefully no more issues.
Normally bulbs burn out because of voltage spikes,bad grounds,loose bulb in socket,power short to ground...Is the bulb nice and tight and locked in there good.Or sometimes just crap bulbs maybe try another brand...jmo...Good luck

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Xtp 1000r
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Normally bulbs burn out because of voltage spikes,bad grounds,loose bulb in socket,power short to ground...Is the bulb nice and tight and locked in there good.Or sometimes just crap bulbs maybe try another brand...jmo...Good luck
Yeah I hear ya, first bulb was obviously factory then I replaced with an 1157 bulb and that burnt too. I don't see anything that's shorted in the wiring harness. The bulb was in there good and tight. You would think if it was voltage spikes it would blow both left and right bulbs? Starting to wonder if maybe it is the socket. I'll do a full trace of the wiring all the way back just to be sure it's not shorting somewhere. Maybe see if the dealer will throw me a new socket on warranty. I can't imagine they're expensive. If it does burn out the led bulb I'm going to try then there's definitely something going on not just crappy bulbs.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yeah I hear ya, first bulb was obviously factory then I replaced with an 1157 bulb and that burnt too. I don't see anything that's shorted in the wiring harness. The bulb was in there good and tight. You would think if it was voltage spikes it would blow both left and right bulbs? Starting to wonder if maybe it is the socket. I'll do a full trace of the wiring all the way back just to be sure it's not shorting somewhere. Maybe see if the dealer will throw me a new socket on warranty. I can't imagine they're expensive. If it does burn out the led bulb I'm going to try then there's definitely something going on not just crappy bulbs.
You mentioned an 1157 bulb,thats an old bulb and not for our new bikes,the ones in our new bikes have elongated lead tips on the bottom and fit differently in the socket...have a look...when i tried to replace with a regular 1157 mine didn't lock all the way in properly and would fall back and not lite up...went and got a proper replacement and no more problems,maybe you have something like that going on...

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Xtp 1000r
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
You mentioned an 1157 bulb,thats an old bulb and not for our new bikes,the ones in our new bikes have elongated lead tips on the bottom and fit differently in the socket...have a look...when i tried to replace with a regular 1157 mine didn't lock all the way in properly and would fall back and not lite up...went and got a proper replacement and no more problems,maybe you have something like that going on...
That's what comes up as the direct replacement for p21/5w bulb is the 1157. Had the exact same configuration as the burnt bulb i took out that was the oem bulb. What bulb are you supposed to replace it with then? 2357?

·
Admin
1,988 Posts
Look at this and see the style bulb sockets and corresponding numbers. The newer machines use 3057/3157. The old style going back decades is the 1157/2057 the 2057 has a brighter running light than the 1157.
Same with the 3057/3157. The higher the first 2 digits, the brighter the bulb.
Your machine being newer uses 3057/3157.
Eyelash Font Screenshot Fashion design Fashion accessory

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Xtp 1000r
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Look at this and see the style bulb sockets and corresponding numbers. The newer machines use 3057/3157. The old style going back decades is the 1157/2057 the 2057 has a brighter running light than the 1157.
Same with the 3057/3157. The higher the first 2 digits, the brighter the bulb.
Your machine being newer uses 3057/3157. View attachment 106849
So the 3057 bulb with a squarish type bottom will twist and lock into place like the round bottom 1157 type bulb with the 2 tabs on either side does? I'm not saying you're wrong but I just don't see physically how it fits the same? The oem bulb I pulled out looked identical to what the 1157 bulb does. It needs those 2 outter tabs to lock into place in the socket I don't see how the 3057 type bulb will fit. Maybe I'm just slow lol

Fluid Finger Rim Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Attachments

·
Registered
674 Posts
That's what comes up as the direct replacement for p21/5w bulb is the 1157. Had the exact same configuration as the burnt bulb i took out that was the oem bulb. What bulb are you supposed to replace it with then? 2357?
Hey,I know this is frustrating as I was like what the heck but its what fixed mine,the 1157 wouldn't work right, here is the bottom of the original I was telling you about,the 1157 is different,the replacement had larger bottom lead contacts ,there os another number on the oe bulb too but i got a differant one at the auto shop...I would get that number but that bike is gone...here are some pic's of original bulb...P/S These are halogen bulbs not monofilament or led...
Water Finger Thumb Gas Household hardware
Cosmetics Finger Eyelash Violet Nail

1 - 20 of 30 Posts