Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Couple questions before I go for a Tan Spring.

(My bike is running a Green/Yellow Primary spring, 3 stock weights slightly ground, and 3 Dalton with no rivets, also slightly ground.)

Will my shift out change one way or another just a little? 25-50 RPM?

Will my bottom end suffer, or will I gain bottom end a little?

Will I get my wheelies back? (As the Green/yellow spring I break traction with stock tires and it's hard to find a surface I can wheelie on, which Isn't a problem either way, just need to learn throttle control.)

What is the shift out (if different all else equal, just changing springs only) and engagement of all the different primary springs, and the compression lbs at engagement and shift out, or however it is you measure them?

Will I get better belt pinch with the Tan spring over any other, (using 3 Dalton weights with no rivets)

Any other information you can tell me about the Tan spring would be great, I'm a very aggressive trail rider, I don't have to worry about the engagement so much, but when I do I would like to go a hair lower in RPM.

I know that people say there is no difference in anything except the engagement RPM with the tan spring, but to me that doesn't make sense, as when your weights overcome the spring, it then engages, then fights the spring all through shift-out and beyond, and I don't see how the springs can only be different in compression during engagement and not though out the whole time.

I hope this thread will teach alot of people about the tan spring, also about other springs.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Tan will bring u back down close to stock engagement.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha, I'm aware it will bring you to 1900rpm, but I need specific information, I understand the CVT more than most, I asked some questions even tho I know the answer, but this is to be a "vault" about the Tan spring, that is if Got Wake? and Helix show up...

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quad - did you specifically watch your shift-out RPM's before when you were running the Green/yellow I assume. Did you do timed trials at say 400-500'? Did you do any "real" testing other than seat of the pants?

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
C'mon - most questions asked everyday are already in the forum... :p

I used the search feature many times actually, this forum and others... I understand about engagement, I'm not personally looking for that information. I have not read any real data that explains what happens AFTER the engagement of the Tan spring, only inexperienced people in clutch tuning which say there is no change at all to anything except the engagement, but from my own personal research I've came to the conclusion that there will be a tiny bit of difference in shift-out, but how much I'm not sure.

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
Can-Am Primary Springs @2.5" @1.25"Dalton Black/Yellow
DPPS-B/Y
45 lbs.
120 lbs.Dalton TanDPPS-TN55 lbs. 155 lbs.Dalton Green/YellowDPPS-G/Y67 lbs. 160 lbs.Dalton Yellow/RedDPPS-Y/R85 lbs. 165 lbs.Dalton Yellow/BlueDPPS-Y/BL45 lbs. 154 lbs.
Optional primary spring for DBO 650, DBO 800 & DBO 800R clutch kits
DPPS-TN (Tan)
Suggested list price
$29.95 CAD / $29.95 USD
Our popular kits for Can- Am 650 and 800 models come with the Green/Yellow primary spring for maximum acceleration and backshifting. Tan primary spring still has the load rating required to work with the supplied adjustable flyweights in the kit, but has a lower engagement rpm. TAN has only slightly higher engagement than stock on the 650/800 models.​

I won't pretend to answer for Dale as this is his section of the forum but I started with the g/y primary and switched to the tan and found no difference, ran the aluminum rivets with both. The above from Daltons web site states the tan has the load rating required, even though it is different it has enough to act in a similiar fashion as the g/y.​

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I agree with the above "act in a similar fashion" but I'm specifically looking for very close to exact numbers though...

Tan 55 lbs. 155 lbs.
Green/Yellow 67 lbs. 160 lbs

OK - So... 12 lb's starting and 5 lbs finishing difference in "weight" makes no difference? not even 50rpm? ok, what about the measurement at exactly half way.. would that be safe to say it's 9lbs difference? How does 9lb's difference act against the fly weights?

Because the first 12 lbs seems to act as 200rpm or so difference.... :O

Meaning the lower 5 lbs resistance in the final compression of the tan spring will turn into about... 75rpm or so? So it should lower your shift-out by 75 rpm... according to my math... (not actual math, just guessing, but close)

RCK you say it made no difference, but who actually pays that much attention? Did you specifically do testing on just that, as I am, and as I know Got Wake? does...
you see the Tan Spring can accomplish more than just a smoother launch, well... that is my educated guess anyway..

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
Honestly, no I never tested for the EXACT specs but if it changed at all it made no difference to the set up that was installed as far as overall performance went. I talked to the gent who makes the kits, he recommended, it worked, heh heh heh.

Reactions: WiNdGaDe800

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well I'm happy that you aren't as OCD as I am, I specifically test at a pre-determined distance so see what my current setup does, if it's better I keep it, if it's worse I adjust. My assumption is you went by "seat of the pants" and didn't notice any loss in performance, which is great, and ya know maybe I couldn't either, but numbers don't lie, and I follow numbers more than my "sense to feel the power or performance"

Thanks RKC!

I don't appreciate Helix not responding to this thread in his sub-forum about his spring...

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well I think I'm going to make the leap and buy the Tan Spring, I think for plowing it will make me happier as I'm constantly around the engagement area, trail riding the Green/yellow spring is just fine tho.

I was kind of worried about it "wheelieing" to easy is the only reason I never really looked at the Tan spring, The green/yellow with stock tires would just break traction and my wheelies on accident went away, but with my new tires the wheelies came back anyways, I guess it's time to learn thumb control.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I was happy with my calibrated buttdyno with the g/y spring and 3 dalton weights and no rivits with my setup....Until plow time

With the tan spring, the calibration on my buttdyno read pretty much the same as prior to the new highspeed mod, but the engagement point was what I was after, not speed. Even with the tan spring, I still have to use thumb control - as even with the plow on the front, and handful of throttle, and some traction, it's hard to find a soft spot to set the plow back down as I know it's gonna hit as the front shocks can't handle that load alone.

·
Vendor
212 Posts
Hi Guys, sorry for the delay.
- been very busy with some new snowmobile models/clutches and haven't been in here for a while. Anytime that happens, it is always easy to reach us through the website ("contact us" or [email protected] )...it can be answered from more locations and I find it easier.

As for the Tan primary spring , it is more of a preference thing than anything. The primary rpm control of a spring is the compressed load rating , and the difference is not noticeable for full shift rpm to any extent. the spring is , in fact different, and it will act slightly different with slightly different engagement and slightly less cruise rpm at lower speeds, but it is very minimal , and should really not mislead anyone...it is primarily a "engagement rpm" difference. The most popular is, by far, the green/yellow, ...that is why it is the principal spring that comes in the kit itself. The Tan is a spring with similar compressed load rate but a lower engagement rpm for those that prefer it.

Springs are cheap, and it is a simple thing to try one to see if it is your preference.

If you order a kit through our retail site Drivepower Inc. - Official Home Page : ATV and Snowmobile Clutch Kits. and make email notes, we can even swap it out if you know that you would prefer it that way. Many people use both for different seasons, tires, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No need, the info was already in the forum(search feature).

Don't care about speed, was looking for less herky-jerky take-offs, and the ability to just "ease" over rocks, trees, dead bodies.....So yes, seat of the pants dyno.

A quick conversation/order with Dalton, and my wishes were fulfilled.
Hi, own a xtp800r outlander 2013 - just looking for the same as you, to ease over rocks, not jumy starts as today. Do you still have a productnumber to Dalton spring?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts