Can-Am ATV Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
ahhh....no. tow with the 2"reciever and appropriate attachment.
:th_smilieexactly:
Never tow people with rope, chain, or straps.
A ridgid tow bar is required. Anything less is a breach of common sense everywhere and the law most places.
Really? I tow our kids around the yard on sleds (slowly) in the Winter with rope. Is that a breach of common sense? I'm all for safety, so if there is something I'm missing please explain.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have been guilty of such in the past as well. I found out that this is in fact illegal here and has become so as a result of some nasty accidents.
Sudden stopping can cause sled to hit back of machine (note that the kids heads can hit all sorts of pointy/hard objects back there). Evin if they don't hit they can get close enough for tire lugs to grab a loose scarf and pull them into the moving parts.
Even when towing at slow speeds a slight miscalculation of how sharp you are turning could put tow rope in contact with tire causing a wrap which can winch the sled/kids into the moving parts.
A non ridgid tow rope is more prone to whipping which can put a sled under a parked car or hit obstacles you ride near.
Sometimes we don't see the danger lurking in the things we do. I do not advocate fearing all aspects of life but if there is a safer way... why not try that?
Sorry if the "common sense" remark sounds insensitive but I tend to deem all others as equal to or smarter than myself and often assume that if I know it then everybody else does too.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have been guilty of such in the past as well. I found out that this is in fact illegal here and has become so as a result of some nasty accidents.
Sudden stopping can cause sled to hit back of machine (note that the kids heads can hit all sorts of pointy/hard objects back there). Evin if they don't hit they can get close enough for tire lugs to grab a loose scarf and pull them into the moving parts.
Even when towing at slow speeds a slight miscalculation of how sharp you are turning could put tow rope in contact with tire causing a wrap which can winch the sled/kids into the moving parts.
A non ridgid tow rope is more prone to whipping which can put a sled under a parked car or hit obstacles you ride near.
Sometimes we don't see the danger lurking in the things we do. I do not advocate fearing all aspects of life but if there is a safer way... why not try that?
Sorry if the "common sense" remark sounds insensitive but I tend to deem all others as equal to or smarter than myself and often assume that if I know it then everybody else does too.
Very good summary of risks, and I can see how the "idiot factor" + a few beers could be problematic.

It all makes sense; thanks.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I used to go road sledding behind trucks with friends during blizzards before the plows got out. We never had any problems going under the truck as our rope was 50ft. and the driver always slowed down gradually. I'm still reigning top speed champ and stayed on up to 57mph till I let go of the rope heading towards a ditch. All I could see was a puff of white for atleast a full minute. When it finally cleared I had stoped less than a ft from a telephone pole and my tracks just missed a mailbox. Nobody else had the guts to last past 40 before pussing out. Coulda ended badly. I miss living dangerously when I was younger. Suprised I'm still here and eventually wised up or I prolly wouldn't be. I did pull my uncle and son, then me and son behind the renegade with a rope to the grab bar the other day with no problems or any possibility for accident. Only did 15-20mph on hard packed snomobile trail on my uncles land. The sled didnt slide much. Woulda went 3ft tops if suddenly stopped. Wasn't nearly as fun as the regular sledding hill we go to.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Everybody runs the risk of being injured in daily life by getting out of bed in the morning! The difference is between those who recognize it and respect it..:smilietwocents: some ppl don't..

·
Registered
168 Posts
Everybody runs the risk of being injured in daily life by getting out of bed in the morning! The difference is between those who recognize it and respect it..:smilietwocents: some ppl don't..
couldn't have said it better myself :th_smiliethumbsup:

·
Registered
298 Posts
i'd use the towing triangular piece down below to attach a rope behind for pulling vs. the top round aluminum bar on top. Just make sure your tow rope is say 25' or so to give plenty of distance for the sledders behind you so they don't run into the back of the quad and take corners very slow and not too sharp and slow down gently and speed up gently should be fine no problems.

I'd stick to top speed of say 30 mph for adults and younger kids say 5-10 at most 20 mph just to be safer and make them wear a helmet just in case they fall off. Common sense prevails and if doing all of this, is perfectly harmless 99% of the time - nothing is 100% accidents to happen.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Use common sense when pulling a person on a sled..! Doesnt need much debate on how to do it. Ppl are going to do it cause its fun!! Since this thread is about the grab bar, dont use it for towing anything.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Here's the ball hitch I put on mine. I've had to tie myself to a tree with it several times to winch a quad out of a ravine or get one unstuck on tracks. It's the only place to tow from.:smilietwocents:
I install the rath rear battery bumper guard, fits easily, adds lots of strength to the rear of the bike and will protect the battery and rear of bike if rammed

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Not saying it's right but I've pulled out stuck trucks and fork lifts with a chain hooked to that bar on my dads '12 800 max. Have yet to break anything. YET.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I install the rath rear battery bumper guard
Been looking for the Warnert one but I guess they don't make them anymore. It looks like the Rath protector might block the tow ball I have on mine.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I install the rath rear battery bumper guard
Been looking for the Warnert one but I guess they don't make them anymore. It looks like the Rath protector might block the tow ball I have on mine.
had same problem, I called warnert directly and it was sent in a few days, the brace does block the hitch and won't allow the ball to be installed

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
The call the bar an intrusion bar. Mostly used in GNCC to as stated before to protect the rear of the machine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
954 Posts
warnert called it a battery bumper

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I'm thinking of calling them. I was planning on making one later this year, but it would be easier to just buy one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well...not exactly. I stood my 1000 straight up and drug the rear of the bike for about 10ft. Broke the right hand aluminum bracket and the grab bar was pushed up into the rear storage box and broke the handle. I went hard that day. :th_smiliebanana2:
hey I just read this and I did the same thing lol how did you get the aluminum plate off ? did you have to take the fenders off..no darn room to get a wrench behind the plate errrr lol thanks

21 - 39 of 39 Posts