Can-Am ATV Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
I can just imagine that there is place's where you can't get "help" by phone or else just like snapping finger's... Only thing i would upgrade would be to chainsaw have some weather protection from elements mud, snow etc....
Getting help versus wanting help are two different things, but I am grateful that I have a couple people I can call 24/7 if I can make a call. My neck of the woods isn't too far from an urban center, but there are lots of areas with no cell service.

As for the chainsaw, I really would like to come up with something to protect it better...

With that said if my Stihl stops working because it's wet, or cold or dirty I'm sending it back and asking some serious questions because that just isn't a thing!

·
Registered
2020 Can-Am Renegade 570
169 Posts
Yea; I don’t have any firearms, except my issued service rifle and that stays very locked up inside a secure facility inside a vault that requires two people to open.
I forgot you guys up north are under fire with gun control. I never go into the woods without somebody on the ride packing. Never know when you might run into a bear, or a moose ready to charge you. It’s also nice when you are hungry and want some grouse for lunch!

·
Registered
TWO - 2013 XTP 800 -
53 Posts
Getting help versus wanting help are two different things, but I am grateful that I have a couple people I can call 24/7 if I can make a call. My neck of the woods isn't too far from an urban center, but there are lots of areas with no cell service.

As for the chainsaw, I really would like to come up with something to protect it better...

With that said if my Stihl stops working because it's wet, or cold or dirty I'm sending it back and asking some serious questions because that just isn't a thing!

Stilh has full molded polyurethane covers for their chain saws. Keeps out the environment and oil from dripping oiler off the environment.

·
Registered
TWO - 2013 XTP 800 -
53 Posts
I forgot you guys up north are under fire with gun control. I never go into the woods without somebody on the ride packing. Never know when you might run into a bear, or a moose ready to charge you. It’s also nice when you are hungry and want some grouse for lunch!
Firearms, long guns, are not restricted. A 20 gauge with 4 shot and Hornady 3 inch slugs covers the requirements for birds and beasts. Best is a semi 308

·
Registered
TWO - 2013 XTP 800 -
53 Posts
Does your quad have a winch? Missed the info about the machine you ride. Your first aid kit appears inadequate judging from the size in the picture.

·
Registered
2018 can-am outlander XT 650 (abs) with tuneup mod's
118 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Yes we have but it's really big. I've got one for my stihl but no way it's practical for atv. maybe for 6x6 or big trunk atv/utv... This would be practical for tight fit:
108cm Professional Chainsaw Carry Case Bag Bar Chain Cover 4 Stihl Husqvarna etc - JONO & JOHNO (chainsawspares.com.au)
Yea; this. It’s so big it is basically useless for an atv. That bag looks appealing; thanks!

fun fact: the stihl carry case warps under heat and after leaving it in my trucknot fully snapped it doesn’t close anymore

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I’ve only feared the wildlife twice in all my years. The truth is that I don’t feel a desire or need to be packing. I am so uneducated in firearms rights in Canada that I don’t even know if it’s legal to carry a rifle out of hunting season. My gut tells me it isn’t, and I am fine with that.

The bears are way more afraid of me than I am of them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Does your quad have a winch? Missed the info about the machine you ride. Your first aid kit appears inadequate judging from the size in the picture.
It does; I have the 650 XT mode that comes with a warm provantage 3k lb winch. I wish it was 4.5k, but what I have hasn’t let me down the few times I needed it… including this in a swamp
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Plant Tread

^^^ this is why I keep my recovery gear in the turkey cooker…because I couldn’t get my boxes open that night at 3am

For the first aid kit, you are absolutely correct. For a serious injury it is inadequate. It is a basic first aid kit to fix anything that a beer or two plus some electrical tape can fix on the trail.

if It is life threatening emergency like a major artery bleed, the para cord and a stick comes into play to make a field tourniquet. I hope I am never in this situation. edit because I would likely bleed out first.

I am interested to hear what you feel the bare minimum for a first aid kit is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
as for me i carry a ksg 12 guage.7 slugs an 7 buck in truck is 50 feet winch cable. a canvas bucket. 3 wire grips.2 shives4 shackles.one tow strap. up front small chain saw.

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Max 450 DPS
689 Posts
am interested to hear what you feel the bare minimum for a first aid kit is.
First aid training (ski patrol style for example) is by far the most important ingredient in treating accident victims adequately. Untrained help can make things worse real quick.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts