Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Outlander 1000 6X6
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are the Grey, Green it Black keys so confusing?
Do 6X6's have a performance key?
A few local guys have asked me about it, then I read in the owners manual about the keys. I asked the Dealer if there is such a thing... he was not sure if 6X6 even have a "Performance" Key coding. Why would the manual suggest that there a different key?
note: when I plug in my keys it says "Normal" for the Green and Grey keys. I have about 100 kms on the sext. Top speed is about 80 kms @ 6500 rpm.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
367 Posts
Why are the Grey, Green it Black keys so confusing?
Do 6X6's have a performance key?
A few local guys have asked me about it, then I read in the owners manual about the keys. I asked the Dealer if there is such a thing... he was not sure if 6X6 even have a "Performance" Key coding. Why would the manual suggest that there a different key?
note: when I plug in my keys it says "Normal" for the Green and Grey keys. I have about 100 kms on the sext. Top speed is about 80 kms @ 6500 rpm.
On my 2020 XMR 1000, the green key limits power and speed to 45 mph. The grey key is performance and will do 65 mph full power.

·
Registered
808 Posts
i called the green key the kid key due to it limiting the power and the speed. However it came in handy loading the quad into our toy hauler. Made the throttle less touchy/responsive and i felt like i controlled the bike easier with it.

the grey key was used any other time. I would think the grey key for the 6x6 would be when you are hauling a full bed of crap or needing to pull out a log or something or when you are being chased by a bear lol

·
Registered
808 Posts
I was told that you can program any of the keys to whatever you want. The colors are just to tell a difference between them. I just had the dealer program both as a performance key when I bought my wheeler.
Pretty sure you can. If it was just the wife and I, then i would have gone this route, but knowing i was going to be loading my old quad into our small toy hauler, and knew it was a tight fit, i didn't want the extra touchy throttle while loading it. However now that both are sold, and i'm getting a maverick sport (which sadly doesn't come with the dess keys standard), and i'm going to have a trailer more than big enough for it, i'll be ok.

·
Registered
2019 Outlander 1000 6X6
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kobuk, I believe you have the right answer. My sext did not come with a performance key to get full speed. Both Green and Grey keys were the same "Normal". I got them both programmed for Performance. I will test it out soon to see the difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts