Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys. new to the forum and going to be new to the can am world. have owned Hondas and a raptor in the past. havn't owned a machine but am in the process of buying an 800. after going back and forth on new and used im going to get a used machine under 2000km(1300 mi)

wondering what kind of things I should be looking out for. most machines in my area coming up in my price range are 2006-2009. I have been told to give the frame a good once over for cracks but other than that im not sure what I should be keeping an eye out for. any and all help would be great. am I crazy buying a 6-7k used machine? my thinking is buy a used machine this year and hopefully get a new one next year and give the old one to the ol lady.

·
Registered
827 Posts
What mods are done to the bike? That will tell a lot about the life it has had so far.

Always give the bike a good look over checking for loose bearings and bushings, slacking drivetrain, etc. Check oil and ask for all fluids, diffs, engine and trans to be drained and held for inspection. Check grease zerks and u-joints for fresh grease (good thing). Check for any leaking seals. Remove easy to pull off plastics to see how well the bike was washed and check airbox/filter. If all things are tight, clean, greased and clean fluids that is a good sign of it being well taken care of. Maintenance records if available is even better.

Take bike for a good test spin and make sure oooling system is in good working order and bike seems mechanically sounds. Expect a ticking noise that may sound like valves to come from the clutches. It's normal.

That's what I always do before buying used. I like to have a good conversation with the seller to see how educated he is on the machines to get an idea of what the seller knows and how much he cares to go out and make sure he is taking proper care of the bike.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I agree with what Jake is saying, however sometimes all that isn't feesable. Most of the used equipment Ive bought, your standing in a dudes garage while hes tapping his foot hoping for cash lol. F em, make him wait til your satisfied. If time is limited and the seller is a jack azz, heres your most important checks in 5 min or less.

Grab all wheels/tires, give em a good shake checking for bearing,tie rods etc.

Check all CV boots for tears
Check for any oil leaks
Check Air Filter
Check Frame - Around Front Arms especially
Check miles (kms) to hour ratio - low miles and high hours usually mean its been worked, plowed or beatin on (generally)
Id stay away from huge tires buying a used bike, I run em, but I wouldn't buy a bike with them on

Give the bike a quick run, listening for any unusual noises. Make sure 4X4 engages and disengages.

Check for any engine lights etc.

I see your in Canada and I had the same budget as you do back in December when I bought mine. I paid $6500.00 with 1200kms. Ive put lots on mods on mine since then but you should be able to find a decent 2009 or so. I wouldn't get anything older than that. The 09 and up look a bit better on the front end also.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I agree with fireman also. What I said is best case scenario. A lot of those things can be done quickly though. If the guy will drop the fluids for you, you are most likely dealing with a very good guy who taken care of the bike well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I paid 7600 for an 09 800r MAX XT about 3 months ago (in Canada). Bike only had 1800km and very clean, dealer trade so dealer knew the bike. The only thing I would add is that if you can find a 2010 and up the XT comes with power steering plus the bike has an upgraded stator and/or voltage regulator (correct me if i'm wrong on that). I looked for a 2010 for about 6-8 months and the max's are so hard to get used I went 2009 when this bike came up.

I have had some electrical concerns with mine, more about low battery warnings, but the bike has never left me stuck.

The power and ride comfort are addictive! I have had other brands of bikes but Can-am is in a league of their own when it comes to raw power.

just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you haven't rode a can-am before take some time and test drive a few in the years that you are looking for to get familiar on how they react/drive. Reason I say that is I never rode one before the 800 I bought and didn't realize it was suppose to have more snap on the bottom end (since my old atv was a Kawasaki 400). So I didn't know any different so after looking into the issue why I wasn't able to do wheelies I found out the secondary was worn severely by the helix and had too much slop to do them. Some more advice is don't be afraid to lay on the ground to look at the underside of the bike. Again look at other can-ams and be familiar on what they are suppose to look like, like the fender supports, plastics, frame, and packages like XT's come with a winch and a handheld winch remote.

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
You can take the vin and call your dealer. They should be able to bring up a history if you can get them to do it for you. You can also bring up any existing codes on the dash. Google can am codes and there are some you tube vids on how to get them. If you have a friend who has a can am that would be helpful to take them with you. They have a good idea on how it should feel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts