Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2020 outlander max xt 1000
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post on the can-am forum here!
I currently have a 2016 grizzly (which I enjoy) but am looking for something more comfortable and “passenger legal” as we have been turned away from a few parks that wouldn’t let us both ride together. Also wouldn’t mind some more power if I buy something else.

A bit of backstory is I’ve been riding my whole life and have had dirt bikes, motorcycles, 3 wheelers, sport quads, 4x4 quads, and 1 sxs (Polaris rzr). I got rid of my rzr and went back to a quad (the grizzly) for a few reasons including the reliability but now am thinking of going back for the comfort for my wife. I was almost set on buying another sxs in the spring but am now possibly considering a outlander max specifically a outlander max xtp 1000 or 850 (really would like the 1000)

I was kinda shocked by the price I was told for 1 (new) even tho I know the xtp is not the base model. But the dealer pretty much told me there wasn’t much room off of MSRP.

so I have a few questions
1. Is there any reason the dealer didn’t want to deal on a new outlander max xtp 1000, should I try a different dealer or is there no wiggle room on can-ams?
2. Do you guys that may have been in my situation wish they were in a sxs instead of a 2up quad?
3. Other than about 10 or so HP, is there a big difference between the 850 and the 1000 as far as performance or reliability?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions down the road

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought a new 2013 can am commander 1000 loved it, but missed riding a atv. I ended up selling the sxs and bought 2019 Outlander max xtp 1000r the wife wishes I would've gone with a sxs again.... me I like the Outlander. With the sxs I wasn't able to go on some of the trails do to netting too wide. I know the can am maverick trail is 50 inches but not really all that sporty.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
My dad just bought a maverick trail 1000 and it's really sporty and a riot to drive.
I drove the maverick trail just didn't feel that sporty to me. Now the maverick sport was fun but again that's wider than 50inches. They're all personal preference

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t have to stay 50” wide. If I go the sxs route I won’t restrict myself to a smaller machine physically. I’m just trying to weigh my options here as I’ve never thought about a 2up quad for more comfort. I can’t say there was many trails I didn’t fit my rzr down following quads. And it was a rzr “s” with some offset stp wheels. Not huge but defiantly wider than any quad I’ve ever had.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My wife and I ride a 2014 650 Max and love it! Passenger seat is extremely comfortable. I have the oem windshield and fairing, and rear storage box.
I swap out the rear box for a custom made box for icefishing in the winter.

Wife loves to drive and we switch off often. It's nice to sit back and enjoy the scenery and wildlife. We just did a fall color ride a week ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
My wife and I ride a 2014 650 Max and love it! Passenger seat is extremely comfortable. I have the oem windshield and fairing, and rear storage box.
I swap out the rear box for a custom made box for icefishing in the winter.

Wife loves to drive and we switch off often. It's nice to sit back and enjoy the scenery and wildlife. We just did a fall color ride a week ago.
Do you have any pics of your ice fishing box?

·
Registered
591 Posts
This time of the year is really the best to buy "leftover" stock (2019s). the XTPs are usually good sellers so that could be why they are not wiggling on the price that much. Not sure the power difference between a 850 and 1000, but i can tell you with us riding a 650 we took off quicker than our friends 850, but when we were topped out, they just walked right on by us like we were sitting still doing 65mph. If we get another bike it will be an 850 or 1000, however we are leaning towards a sxs due to the littles. I would say find a place that has both machines you are looking at and take them for a quick test ride around the parking lot and see when you think

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dont want to hijack the thread, so posted Pics of my icefishing box here...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just bought a 2020 Outlander 1000 XTP. Foolishly I did not ask for any money off MSRP and so of course dealer did not offer it. The 2019 had a rebate available. I feel, however, at least with cars, a year older model has already depreciated equivalent to what the rebate would be.

As for getting a Max, if you guys are young(ish) I say go for it. If my wife had interest in riding along, though (we are 62 and 64 years young respectively) I'd def go side by side, no doubt. We rented RZR in Moab back in August and she even drove a bit. It was way better than being on an ATV IMHO.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I currently have a 2016 grizzly (which I enjoy) but am looking for something more comfortable and “passenger legal” as we have been turned away from a few parks that wouldn’t let us both ride together. Also wouldn’t mind some more power if I buy something else.

A bit of backstory is I’ve been riding my whole life and have had dirt bikes, motorcycles, 3 wheelers, sport quads, 4x4 quads, and 1 sxs (Polaris rzr). I got rid of my rzr and went back to a quad (the grizzly) for a few reasons including the reliability but now am thinking of going back for the comfort for my wife. I was almost set on buying another sxs in the spring but am now possibly considering a outlander max specifically a outlander max xtp 1000 or 850 (really would like the 1000)

I was kinda shocked by the price I was told for 1 (new) even tho I know the xtp is not the base model. But the dealer pretty much told me there wasn’t much room off of MSRP.

1. Is there any reason the dealer didn’t want to deal on a new outlander max xtp 1000, should I try a different dealer or is there no wiggle room on can-ams?
2. Do you guys that may have been in my situation wish they were in a sxs instead of a 2up quad?
3. Other than about 10 or so HP, is there a big difference between the 850 and the 1000 as far as performance or reliability?

Take my advice and get the SXS. I bought a Outlander max 800 a few years ago specifically so the wife can ride with me. She hates looking at the back of my head and doesn't feel safe riding front to back. So now I mainly use it to plow my driveway and go out on a few rides a year. I'll be selling it for a SXS next year to get her out more which means I will be able to get out more.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We are youngish I’m 31 and she’s 29. I haven’t pulled the trigger on either 1 yet or sold the grizzly because of buying another house but also didn’t know I got more responses to this. I’m still torn on the decision and appreciate the input from everyone. I got a phone call from my local dealer and said they can get me a outlander max xt with factory promotions but was really wanting the xtp

·
Registered
538 Posts
I would go with the better deal on the xt and watch the can am forums for the shocks and beadlocks if you really want them.. for the price difference, rebates, and warranty you will be saving a few thousand after you buy the couple of add ins you want... I just got the 2020 at and really find I like the ride just the way it is... I will look for some used shocks at some point but no rush

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is that all the difference is. Shocks and beadlocks?

·
Registered
591 Posts
and i believe gauge cluster

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And I understand the big difference between the 850 and 1000 other than HP is 1 is throttle cable and the other is fly by wire

·
Registered
538 Posts
The 2020 850 and 1000 are both drive by wire... I think the 1000 has a slightly different cluster with the cluster control just before the seat on the xtp.. the 850 is a new digital screen as well... to me their is not enough difference to justify the price...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
316 Posts

When buying my defender max I called a bunch of different dealers, found one 2 and a half hours a way that said that they could have it ready the fastest and gave me a way better deal than any other dealer in my area. I would buy the pervious year model as they can give you way more off the MSRP, dealerships don’t like 3 things on there lot: used vehicles, brands they don’t specialize in, and any year of machine that isn’t the newest.

I think the 850 is more reliable than the 1000, but not really sure.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the input. Probably won’t be able to till after the new year or early spring but that gives me time time to weigh out my options here

1 - 20 of 32 Posts