Can-Am ATV Forum banner

Throttle up

4K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  CanAmRancher1 
#1 ·
I have a 2017 renegade 850 it only has 500 miles tops on it and I love the machine it’s an animal. My question is I was riding and out of know where the machine went wide open at took of full throttle was able to hit kill switch brought the machine in checked everything found nothing wrong about 2-3 months later it happen again no warning nothing the second time I was pulling out of my garage going slow and all of a sudden it goes full throttle slammed into a truck and even then it just wouldn’t stop it was out of control Has anyone experienced this before ????

#2 ·
Ive seen throttle cables stick but never seen one just go full throttle. Not really possible with cable actuated throttle as the driver is the only one with input.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Reactions: BombardierBomb
#5 ·
Has anyone experienced this before ????
I did on a carburated motorcycle. It was enduro riding in wet weather near freezing with temperatures dropping. The throttle cable iced up. Although I could twist the throttle open, the return spring was not strong enough to close the throttle because of the ice. Kill switch did not kill it. Thats when my motorcycle riding turned into rodeo riding.

Sure hope you find the problem quickly. Wish I could help.

#7 ·
So you're saying you were just putting along, minimal throttle input, and it suddenly went WFO ?

Or you were at WFO, and it stuck there?

#9 ·
Does it involve turning the handlebars at all, when this happens?

That's the ONLY scenario I can even speculate on, as to how the throttle cable could be worked to WOT, without the thumb lever doing it.

Reactions: CanAmRancher1
#10 ·
Does it involve turning the handlebars at all, when this happens?

That's the ONLY scenario I can even speculate on, as to how the throttle cable could be worked to WOT, without the thumb lever doing it.
Handlebars straight
Just don’t get why or what would cause that to happen without acceleration of the throttle like I said in another comment was there is a throttle positioning sensor If the sensor was bad would that have anything to do with it

#11 ·
The sensor just tells the ECM what position the throttle plate is at.

Even if the TPS failed and sent a WOT signal to the computer, as long as the throttle plate/cable is still at whatever 1/8th or 1/4 throttle, nothing like what you describe, would happen.

Reactions: CanAmRancher1
#12 ·
Exactly with no air it would just flood out.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.