Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, I just picked up a 2014 Outlander 650 XT. My dealer tells me that to run 28" tires I'd need a clutch kit. I've been on the fence weather to run 27's or 28's.

Any thoughts on the clutch kit with 28's? Also, I'm considering the 27" Maxxis Zilla's as they are very light and I had good luck with them on my Rancher. I ride about 70% trail and about 30% mud. Would the Zilla's offer much over my stock ACT tires? Enough to justify $500 expenditure? Looking for tire suggestions or advice. Don't really want to do a clutch kit. So far I love my Outlander!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I ran 28" Zillas on 14 inch rims on my 650 for a few rides while I was waiting for my clutch kit to come in and it turned them fine. Did it work better with the kit? Yes, absolutely but did I need it to turn them without smoking the belt or feeling really sluggish, no. Your 650 will turn 27" Zillas no problem, like you say, they are light and thats what matters more so than the height of a tire. I'd probably recommend sticking with the 27's though if your dead set against clutching. As far as benefits over the stock tires, there are many, very much improved traction, especially in mud, and a boost in durability are going to be the main two.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ran 28" Zillas on 14 inch rims on my 650 for a few rides while I was waiting for my clutch kit to come in and it turned them fine. Did it work better with the kit? Yes, absolutely but did I need it to turn them without smoking the belt or feeling really sluggish, no. Your 650 will turn 27" Zillas no problem, like you say, they are light and thats what matters more so than the height of a tire. I'd probably recommend sticking with the 27's though if your dead set against clutching. As far as benefits over the stock tires, there are many, very much improved traction, especially in mud, and a boost in durability are going to be the main two.

Thanks for the reply. Slim. I guess I'm not dead set against clutching but this Outlander rides and handles better than any other wheeler I've ridden. I don't want to sacrifice the ride any for big tires and as I've never done a clutch kit in anything before I'm not sure if it effects the driveability at all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts