Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been covered elsewhere on this forum, but I am still trying to learn to navigate the site. If someone can direct me to a thread that already discusses this question, that would be great. Otherwise, I would love to hear your thoughts.

We put Maxxis Big Horn 2.0 tires on our Rancher a number of years ago and have really liked them. I want to put some on our 2011 Outlander Max 800R EFI LTD that are stock size (26x10-12 and 26x8-12) to avoid messing with engine/drive train and speedometer/odometer issues. Seems Maxxis doesn't make them in that size, since most of the newer ATVs have larger rims. The Can Am dealer told me today that a 27 inch tire would be fine. I'm a bit skeptical. Two questions: What are the acceptable tire size variations without messing up anything? If I can't get a stock size Big Horn 2.0, what would be a recommended tire brand/model in the same stock size that is similar in quality and tread design to the 2.0? (We plow snow, pull sprayers, and ride mountain trails--no mud bogging or other such extreme riding.)

Thanks!

DomesBro

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
The good news is that ATV's are extremely forgiving, when it comes to tire size upgrades.

For your primary concern, as long as you don't try n do some weird top fuel dragster-look big tires on the rear, small tires on the front, you'll be fine. In this instance I'll side with the dealer, pretty sure 27's will work just fine for you.

From there, I, personally, would try and put the widest contact patch down that I could, so I'd opt for 10 fr/12 rr, me. 27/10/12 and 27/12/12.

The rear end has all kinds of room, I can't see any interference issues there. The front end, you might get a little close to your tie rod ends, with the wider tire. If that occurs, simply slap a set of spacers on. It'll make the bike marginally wider and more stable to boot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The good news is that ATV's are extremely forgiving, when it comes to tire size upgrades.

For your primary concern, as long as you don't try n do some weird top fuel dragster-look big tires on the rear, small tires on the front, you'll be fine. In this instance I'll side with the dealer, pretty sure 27's will work just fine for you.

From there, I, personally, would try and put the widest contact patch down that I could, so I'd opt for 10 fr/12 rr, me. 27/10/12 and 27/12/12.

The rear end has all kinds of room, I can't see any interference issues there. The front end, you might get a little close to your tie rod ends, with the wider tire. If that occurs, simply slap a set of spacers on. It'll make the bike marginally wider and more stable to boot.
BombardierBomb,

Thank you for your kind and informative input. I will look into that. Hope you have a great MD weekend. :)

DomesBro

·
Registered
950 Posts
most can am tires that come on them stock all most always measure short. and if you do some digging you will find maxxis big horns run big so running that size or a step up will be a much bigger tire just have to look around. and the size depends on how you ride and what your doing. i fast trail ride so i like a 25 inch tire or 26 max, i also like the narrower front tire just to keep it light up front with less feed back through the handle bars. check out the Kenda HTrs they are a great trail tire and measure true to size or a hair bigger.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I run BH 2.0 on everything, awesome tire, last forever run true to size and work well in everything but deep mud. You can run 27s easily, I had 26s on my 570 and there was plenty of room to go bigger. If I was you I would just put 26x9x12 and 26x11x12 on. Original big horns are great too, a little heavier but great. My buddy has 6500 miles on a set of og big horns with at least another 1000 left on them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
most can am tires that come on them stock all most always measure short. and if you do some digging you will find maxxis big horns run big so running that size or a step up will be a much bigger tire just have to look around. and the size depends on how you ride and what your doing. i fast trail ride so i like a 25 inch tire or 26 max, i also like the narrower front tire just to keep it light up front with less feed back through the handle bars. check out the Kenda HTrs they are a great trail tire and measure true to size or a hair bigger.
25th Infantry,

Thank you so much for your input. That is good info. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I run BH 2.0 on everything, awesome tire, last forever run true to size and work well in everything but deep mud. You can run 27s easily, I had 26s on my 570 and there was plenty of room to go bigger. If I was you I would just put 26x9x12 and 26x11x12 on. Original big horns are great too, a little heavier but great. My buddy has 6500 miles on a set of og big horns with at least another 1000 left on them.
WIOutty, Thank you so much. I know we really liked the BH 2.0 on the Rancher. I appreciate everyone's willingness to help us. Have a great weekend! :)
DomesBro

·
Registered
32 Posts
i have bought 3 sets of bighorns, the originals, not the 2's. I have never wore out a set. I got rid of most of my fleet and only had one outlander left this year. It needed tires but the bighorns are close to 600 a set... So I stopped by Costco and picked up a set of Grim Reapers. They have a similar tread depth to the bighorns and are a radial.. Bike rides like a completely different machine. I am looking forward to riding again. The carlisle's that were on it were over half gone and it wouldn't go thru 2 inches of snow without fighting it. From what I've seen the reapers are going to be a good tire.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone. :)

Checked the tie-rod clearance as it currently sits with the stock Carlisle 26x8-12s on the front. Only 1/2" clearance. A 26-9 would leave 0" clearance and a 10 would be too much. After weighing everyone's good advice, I was planning to go with the Big Horn 2.0 (26x9x12, 26x11-12). To go with the slightly wider tire, I'd have to take BombardierBomb's advice and put on some spacers. If I do that, would it be necessary to put spacers on all four hubs, to keep the tracking the same? Or would it be okay just to space the front and not the rear?

Thanks. 🙂

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Just from a purely aesthetic point of view, if you need to spacer the fronts, I'd also spacer the rears, just to keep the balance of things. Your front axle track will end up wider than the rear. Not a "huge" problem, tbh, but again, just from a "make it look right" stance, keep the front and rear axle track widths the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you everyone. :)

Checked the tie-rod clearance as it currently sits with the stock Carlisle 26x8-12s on the front. Only 1/2" clearance. A 26-9 would leave 0" clearance and a 10 would be too much. After weighing everyone's good advice, I was planning to go with the Big Horn 2.0 (26x9x12, 26x11-12). To go with the slightly wider tire, I'd have to take BombardierBomb's advice and put on some spacers. If I do that, would it be necessary to put spacers on all four hubs, to keep the tracking the same? Or would it be okay just to space the front and not the rear?

Thanks. 🙂
I have a stock 2019 Outlander 570. I replaced the stock 26 inch Carlisles with 28x10x14 bighorn 2.0 on the front and 28x12x14 on the rear and have zero rubbing.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Looks like you change your rims too, that might of help with the clearance of tires.
Yeah that's a big distinction to clarify- OP is wanting to stay on his OE rims, most of the time when we upgrade to aftermarket, the backspacing is already bumped out, so not an "apples to apples" comparison.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi, everyone,

I took my machine over to my brother's this afternoon. He has 570 with Bighorn 2.0 26x9-12 fronts and 26x11-12 rears. We jacked the machines up and put his on my 800R. They fit and drove perfectly. We measured both rims' diameter, width, and offset: same. So, it looks like I will be able to get the Bighorns after all and not have to upgrade the rims.

Thanks again for helping and for making me feel welcome.

Have a great Memorial Day.

DomesBro

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a 2012 800 max outlander and will be buying tires soon. I had the green ball grim reapers on my Honda. They were 8 ply (I think) and tough as nails. Green ball also makes a bighorn thread pattern. Has anyone tried those tires?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts