Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i was out riding in below freezing temps the other day in some water and snow. I parked it in my unheated garage. The next time i used it the tires were frozen and i couldnt move. i checked around the axles and hubs no sign of any ice. wondering if anyone has had this happen and any ideas of how to prevent it would be great. thanks

·
Registered
415 Posts
Put heat in your garage !!! Lol

Spray it with hot water to melt it all , and get a small space heater , maybe plan a insulating party in your garage !!

Sorry I had the same issues as you until I changed my garage issues !!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Is it possible the brake rotors were frozen to the calipers? I have an unheated garage too, and was thinking of getting a forced air kerosene or propane heater, just use it to get the garage nice and hot, let it dry everything out. Not much else you can do. I did insulate the garage, hope to cut down on fuel cost.

Reactions: mikemason.nb

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is it possible the brake rotors were frozen to the calipers?
My thoughts too. It happens quite often to a few bikes in our hunting camp in real cold & wet conditions. Drum braked bikes are the most notorious in my experience. They lightly use a propane torch to thaw them enough to free up. If you got hydro a heat gun would work fine.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Glad I have a heated and air conditioned attached garage.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I never had a problem. Depending how big your garage is you could get away with a electric heater. Bigger garages will need a propane/kero heater. Topredo heaters work great for quick heat. Also work awesome for when you have to work outside and you need to have a little heat blowing at you. I've used one for heating up a 14x20 outside canopy in 30 degree weather. Kept it 60 degrees just fine.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've had my tires and axles frozen before after driving in a lot of snow and parking it in my unheated barn lol I just pointed the kerosene ready heater at it and it thawed out

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
At a Minimum I would warm the garage when you park it, so it can thaw off and dry off before everything freezes up.

My garage stays 80 degrees because I have a wood furnace in it. Floor drains take the water out too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts