Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there all sorts of tire threads on here, so what's one more. I own 2013 Outlander 500xt. I do a mixture of riding from mud to hard pact to hauling wood over cut overs full of branches and stumps. Popular tire around here actually the old bear claw. Quite reliable. I wondering what's peoples experience with the new HTR bear claw.
In saying that I would stay stock but am wondering about the weight for my 500. Not looking at any upgrades to clutches or such, just what she can handle stock.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I have 26 inch HTRs on 14 in rims. I ride everything that you listed and lots of rock, sharp rock. The HTRs are radial, the ride is good, the traction is fantastic, handling superb, and wear really well!. They are light and you can get them for a decent price.
They had some issues with leaks around the bead early on, but their manufacturing process fixed the problem. There have been at least 2 guys on here that will attest that Kenda warrantied the tires and replaced them; one guy I know personally.
I have not had an issue at all with mine. In fact, I plan on going with the same tire next time around should these ones ever wear out.
The only other tire I believe that is in the category you want, are original Big Horns which are heavier and cost more.
You shouldn't have any problems with 26 or 27 HTRs with a 500

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I love the HTRs. My favorite tire chioce.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Last year I was out for a ride with a buddy that has an XMR with Gorilla Silverbacks. The trail system we were on is one of the most technically challenging rock and mud trails I have ever been on.
The deep deep mud, the XMR went through most, I avoided where I could. I pulled him out of a couple deep spots. I didn't sink as much as he did in some of the soft holes. I got hung up in some deep submerged ruts and had to get pulled out. He got stuck on mud covered rock that I had no issue with.
The Gorillas were clearly better in gooey mud holes. However, I had better traction climbing rock faces even with wet muddy tires. The HTRs have better side hill traction and I was able to keep from sliding into some ruts that the XMR just slid into.
At the end of the ride, I was convinced I did better overall with HTRs. I am not putting down the Silverbacks, because the did extremely well in the deep holes. I avoided as much mud early on to save the rad as long as I could from getting caked in mud.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't do mud, mostly trail riding and work around the property forest and plowing snow. I have the HTR's and have put about 2500 miles on them and they are showing very little IF any wear. I have a 2009 650 max. I do notice the extra weight when starting, especially on property if pulling a small trailer up hill. If I were to buy another set I would get the 25's instead of the 26's. There would be less weight plus with the 25's you would have the same ground clearance as the stock ACT 26 inch tires that it came with. The HTR 26's are about an inch taller than the stock 26's ACT's so if you get the HTR 25's you would loose no ground clearance and would have less weight to start rolling with. You will notice the weight with the 500 engine when starting from a stop at first, after awhile you don't. Remember the ground height difference between 25 'sand 26's is 1/2 inch, that isn't much and the weight difference between sets is about 20 lbs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts