Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was the first time riding my new 800xmr, put about 35 miles on it. I whent out again today and i have a total of 6:19hrs I dont have any time to ride it this week and im leaving for mudfest thursday night. I kno i will put a ton of hrs on it this weekend which is y i want to do the service this week. Is it to soon to do the oil change at 6:19hrs? I really dont have any other choice, it would be to much of a pain in the a** to do it at mudfest. I dont see there being an issue but i could be wrong.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Depends do you plan to sink it at mudfest?? lol 35 miles and 6hours! Pretty high. I had like 120miles on mine by 10 hours lol. It doesnt exactly done at 10hrs. I did mine at 14 and about 200 miles. Not worried about engine but axles having enough time to wear in and get all the metal out of it. With how easy it is to do the axles change everything now and then about another 150 miles redo the axles just to make sure all the crap it is out

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I'd wait...bc I think BRP puts in a different weight oil in the motor from the factory for the break in period?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depends do you plan to sink it at mudfest?? lol 35 miles and 6hours! Pretty high. I had like 120miles on mine by 10 hours lol. It doesnt exactly done at 10hrs. I did mine at 14 and about 200 miles. Not worried about engine but axles having enough time to wear in and get all the metal out of it. With how easy it is to do the axles change everything now and then about another 150 miles redo the axles just to make sure all the crap it is out
I put 35 miles on saturday, total about 47 now. I dont have much area to put lots of miles on. Yesterday i just rode up and down the levies, today i when out to our trails but its mostly mud so i stayed in the dry area. I wanted to do the service right at 10hrs or before because of warrienty but i guess the dealer has no way of knowing. What damage can occure from running the brake in oil past 10 hours? Can the brake in oil with stand a little abuse? I.e mudding and spinning tires and being in 4x4? I dont plan to ride like a mad man. But some times i can get a little throttle happy. And no lol i dont plan to sink it at mudfest ive done that plenty with my other quad b4 i snorkled it and ive been to this place many times so i know what areas to stay out of lol.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd wait...bc I think BRP puts in a different weight oil in the motor from the factory for the break in period?
Im thinking the break in oil is thinner then the normal use oil. Any oil ive seen or used thats labled break in oil is thin.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Dump the oil. My factory oil and filter was FULL of metal after 3-4 hours!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I waited till 20 hours, oil was fine. I'd still go over nuts and bolts with a wrench though b

·
Registered
201 Posts
I just did my 10hr and i had very little metal on my oil plug most of it was in the filter and that didnt have much in it either. During my break in i pretty much rode how i normally would had it not been in the break in period. I personally wouldnt worry about it and just do the change once you get back from mudfest.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had the same worry before a big ride. I was right about the 10hr service but it was going to be two weeks before the dealer could get it in (we only have the one dealer in the area). They said not to worry about it till 20-25 hours, but I just ended up getting the fluids and grease at the dealer and did it all myself. They said I would be fine for warranty on that since I bought the kit off them.

Trail riding I think would be fine past the 10hours, but going to a mudfest? I don't know that I would chance it. That's a lot of strain.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ive heard of people doint the fluid change past 10 hours with no problems but it is going to get riddin a little hard at mudfest. It shouldnt hurt the motor to change the oil now right?

Ill probably put 15+ hrs on it at mudfest.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Yesterday was the first time riding my new 800xmr, put about 35 miles on it. I whent out again today and i have a total of 6:19hrs I dont have any time to ride it this week and im leaving for mudfest thursday night. I kno i will put a ton of hrs on it this weekend which is y i want to do the service this week. Is it to soon to do the oil change at 6:19hrs? I really dont have any other choice, it would be to much of a pain in the a** to do it at mudfest. I dont see there being an issue but i could be wrong.
I would suggest consulting your dealer. He's gonna be your biggest advocate in getting warranty claims paid. For example.... My dealer told me no more than 20 hours, 200 miles, whichever came first. I ended up taking mine in at 18 hours, 89 miles. Something like that.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was there today picking up a spare belt for the weekend, i didnt want to ask because i didnt kno if somthing major did come up down the road and he be like didnt u ask me if u can ride past 10 hrs on brake in oil.... Just because a dealer gets paid for doing warrienty work dosent mean they want the headache of certain jobs. Believe me i kno im a warrenty technician for a yacht dealer lol. Idk what i should do

·
Registered
414 Posts
They can tell if the break in oil was used for too long and couldnt provide enough lubrication. I never took mine to the dealer and never will unless warranty work is needed.. As long as you have receipts to show what oil you purchased and it meets the gl specs then you will be covered. Dealer will tell you this.. Just cause you buy a new car and do you own oil change doesnt mean you void your own warranty

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Guys are you really sure they put "break in oil in these"? I highly doubt it.

Ask any engine builder, fresh clean oil is the best thing. Running your original oil is just circulating metal particles thru the engine (assuming the filter doesn't get it all). I have no clue if the filter gets it all, but I personally want that metal OUT of there asap!
Just my opinion…. Oils cheaper than a rebuild.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Yeah I highly doubt that break-in oil is used.

Correction. The Can-Ams that are shipped to my dealer are shipped WITH a break-in oil. That break-in oil is not changed until you do your first service. BRP will not tell my dealer what that break-in oil actually is. This information straight from my dealer.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yall r probably right. Im going to do the oil change and have peice of mine an oilchange at 6:19 hrs or at 10 aint gona make a difference. No one ever said you hurt ur engine by changing the oil to soon lmao. So i guess ill go ahead n do the diffs transmission and engine. Thats pretty much it right? I pulled my airfilter lastnight and it still looks brand new so ill just leave that alone for now.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Just do the engine now and do all the diffs and transmission when you get home.

My tranny oil was pretty full of metal too, but thats normal at first.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I would wait till you got back to do your break-in inspection. Let everything in the engine have more time to seat and seal up right. Somewhere between 100 and 200 miles, no more than 20 hours. BRP doesn't call to replace the rear diff oil until 100 hours or 2,000 miles.

·
Registered
652 Posts
"Yeah I highly doubt that break-in oil is used."

Correction. The Can-Ams that are shipped to my dealer are shipped WITH a break-in oil. That break-in oil is not changed until you do your first service. BRP will not tell my dealer what that break-in oil actually is. This information straight from my dealer.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Glad you trust your "stealership". They have you in their back pocket!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts