Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with police hassles towing a atv tub style trailer on legal roads where ATVs are allowed?
I live in Ontario Canada and was about to build a custom Bush Burro tow behind poly trailer for boat haul/camping and read somewhere tickets were being handed out to people towing trailers behind ATVs on legal roads. I do run a gravel 805 series highway here for a portion of my back trail access.

Any input would be appreciated. Don’t want to spend the time and money if it’s not legal

·
Registered
952 Posts
I tow the trailer behind the quad all the time on fs roads, but its street legal.

Id do more research maybe check with the legality of trailers on public roads at whatever passes for dmv in canada's website?

·
Registered
68 Posts
That's news to me. Nothing in the highway traffic act about that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most of the guys up north put on 4 lug hubs and ATV tires to tow on small boat trailers in the bush. A small boat trailer would be registered/plated and have reflectors and tail lights. I have never seen anyone connecting the ATV to the trailer for a brake light. I have a small trailer with a 15 foot Jon to use to convert to off road but some of the best spots to camp/fish are narrow portage trails where the extra width of my boat would make it a no go.

If nobody is hearing of hassles I would prefer to not have the weight of the gear beating up the boat towing it and more access options.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I never bother with hooking up the wiring on the atv.
Same trailer the quad rides in to get there, unhook it from the truck, drop it on the 2" ball on the quad, load it up and ride on in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sound like a good system for hauling your gear. I looked at the Highway Traffic act up here and it does state registration/plates/reflectors and a brake light to be legal for a trailer. Most of the people I have asked up north are doing what your doing with a road legal trailer behind the ATV.
I would prefer to go narrow with a tub trailer with custom rack and Sportspal boat on top. Looks like I will have to see if Bush Burro trailers have a serial number to register it.

Probably depends on how aggressive the police and yogies are were you ride. The OPP up here and MNR are all over the place all year hassling people minding their own business.

Can only bring so much gear strapped to the ATV! With a tow behind I can bring a hot tent for winter camping.
IMG_1080[1].JPG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts