Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats better for cleaning driveway...tracks and plow or snow blower with aggressive tires on stock wheels

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have no issues plowing with the stock tires, but, my driveway is ashphalt. Where I run into trouble is when I am pushing off the driveway and/or in deep snow.

I'd love a set of tracks but they're expensive.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I have a big driveway to plow and I like my ATV tracks way better then my tires. You have more bushing power because of the better traction, with that though comes a lot more care on how you and what your bushing snow into. You could very easily bend something if your not careful. Still I love the tracks better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mostly the stock tires and plow did the job this winter....but the last storm dumped 32 inches...had to get a blower in ..now the sides are 3-4 ft high no where to put the snow...just wondering if there was better way then i was doing

·
Registered
193 Posts
In theory the tracks would allow you to push back the banks a little easier and/or bank up the snow as well. With tires, I can push a bank up to about a height of 5 ft or so, but eventually I start to get stuck when pushing it up. With tracks you would ride up on the banked snow allowing you to push further and higher.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I know for are skid steers tracks suck for plowing tires will out plow everyday. We get over 130" each year of snow.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've plowed with both and they both work very well. I found it faster with tires, especially if under 12" deep. Add a bag of cement or other weight to your front and rear rack if you find you need more traction or if your quad gets pushed sideways when your blade is full. If you work on your banks (ramp them from the start by pulling your plow up as you ascend) you can make them just as high with tires or tracks. The key is packing your ramps down on warm days when the snow turns packy. Just drive up them several times, plow up, and move across the whole thing. Do this when you can and you'll be able to park your truck on them. Your machine will be shorter and more nimble around obstacles and vehicles with tires.

Tracks work better when the snow gets really deep really fast. The added weight of the tracks along with the gear reduction and added traction will make it possible to move huge amounts of snow. Also it will be easier to push banks back or start new ramps if you need to. If you usually only get 4 to 8 inches or so per snowfall, then tracks are overkill. If you get 1 to 2 feet per dump, then tracks will make your life much easier.:smilietwocents:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts