Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some suggestions...

I just picked up this trailer that was rebuilt from an old camper by an older gentleman who does these on the side to make some money. It is a 5' by 10' trailer, which I think will be a pretty good size to tow my Outlander MAX around the province and still have room for to pack stuff that doesn't easily fit in our vehicle.

One thing I noticed when I got home with it is that there does not appear to be any easy way to lock the coupler with a Master Lock pin, for example. I took a couple of close up pictures to see if you guys have some suggestions. The coupler appears to be wrapped inside the Y portion of the trailer and it goes back to the aft side of where the chains are wrapped around.

I suppose I could buy a new coupler, assuming I could find one that is wide enough to either wrap around the external Y housing or slim enough to fit inside the Y housing as this one does and bolt it on.

Drilling a hole through where the U shaped piece lifts up to prevent it from lifting might be an option too, what do you guys think?

I won't normally keep my Outlander on the trailer except if we have to stay overnight somewhere (Motel, for example), which is where I would be most concerned about theft.

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts
Locks keep an honest man honest. If you can change out the coupler...........
Get some insurance, I'm not being a dick, it's just the world we live in. :sad:

·
Registered
290 Posts
The very 1st thing I would do is get rid of those hooks on the safety chain!!! If the thing ever came off the tow rig those type hooks would last 5 seconds and the whole trailer and quad would be off on their own.:smilietwocents:

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
coupler looks kinda old & cheesy anyway. New ones are on sale at princess auto all the time for about 10 bucks.They got hooks too

1 - 5 of 5 Posts