Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had to replace the piston in a 500 Traxter? I have a 2004 Traxter 500 5 speed auto shift and need to replace the piston. In the spares manual the size is listed as 89mm and the piston is stamped 88.97mm, it is also stamped ELKO 2188. The piston is obsolete so I am struggling to locate a replacement, either a Can-Am or after market unit. I am in the UK so that makes things even more difficult. Does anybody know of a supplier who may be able to help?
Andy.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Andy

I was just chatting with a Canadian who suffered a cracked piston on his traxter, I looked on ebay and was surprised to not see ANY pistons. I looked at my distributors and also nothing, at this point I do not know if no one fixes them or if it is more the case no one CAN fix them because parts are unavailable. There are companies who would make pistons but expect to need to buy a batch just not one. This is likely why no one has them it is just not viable to buy a batch for one piston or to sit on a shelf and not sell because no one will fix the machine.

If there were enough people, I am sure we could get a group to buy a batch. This is not a fast process especially as we get close to motorcycle riding season. The stock piston appears cast and you would end up with a forged piston which would be stronger than stock and could also likely have higher compression for more power though don't expect too much based on design. The cylinders are Nikasil coated so you could use a drop in piston but I always recommend you re-nikasil to get a best fit of piston to cylinder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ducvet,

I did manage to find two manufacturers who could make piston but the minimum order was 20 from one and 2 from the other but they were really expensive. Luckily I managed to get hold of a used piston in good condition so I am having to use that but I am still looking for a new one but not holding out much hope. If it was a rough quad I would probably just scrap it but it is a 2004 model and has only done 117 hours so is still like new so I am going to persevere with it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Andy
Yes there are a few of us with clean low hour/mile machine and no real reason to replace them . I have started building a list of parts sources on the forum but need to find more. pistons are one area we may someday need to have a group buy to make it make sense, I do not know as I am ready to get them made myself but if I get mine together and find I like it enough I do have some others to get made as well.

Mine was in good shape when i checked it can you let us know what was out of spec on your low mile machine?
Was it scored from debris?
worn in size?
cracked?

I am new to these machines so I am still learning what fails and why I was a little surprised my the light weight piston when I looked at it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts