Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so this is a question of interest in making some replacement parts for the Traxter.

I need a stock piston in reasonable shape along with a matching cylinder. A minimum run of 4 pistons are needed to have them made and there are cost benefits if you start looking at larger batches so this in part is to see how many are interested in a replacement piston that would then have increased availability of rings.

We could likely increase compression a bit but I am not sure that is the goal with these machines, similar with a big bore but now you are adding the added cost of a bore and plate job to the cylinder. The pistons would not be cheap but given the availability of used pistons and rings they would be much better than parting out a machine. They would be forged pistons vs stock cast pistons so there may be more noise on a cold motor but once at operating temperature they should be comparable.

There are a couple of options of manufacturers depending on budget as well as design, old designs are cheaper than a hi -tech design but again I am not sure there is much real world improvement of one over the other in a traxter.

What do you think?
Any one have some parts to measure and design off they can be returned asap. Ebay seems to still have no options and if I can not come up with any I might tear mine down again to measure but that will not be until work slows down again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
okay so this is a question of interest in making some replacement parts for the Traxter.

I need a stock piston in reasonable shape along with a matching cylinder. A minimum run of 4 pistons are needed to have them made and there are cost benefits if you start looking at larger batches so this in part is to see how many are interested in a replacement piston that would then have increased availability of rings.

We could likely increase compression a bit but I am not sure that is the goal with these machines, similar with a big bore but now you are adding the added cost of a bore and plate job to the cylinder. The pistons would not be cheap but given the availability of used pistons and rings they would be much better than parting out a machine. They would be forged pistons vs stock cast pistons so there may be more noise on a cold motor but once at operating temperature they should be comparable.

There are a couple of options of manufacturers depending on budget as well as design, old designs are cheaper than a hi -tech design but again I am not sure there is much real world improvement of one over the other in a traxter.

What do you think?
Any one have some parts to measure and design off they can be returned asap. Ebay seems to still have no options and if I can not come up with any I might tear mine down again to measure but that will not be until work slows down again.
I definitely would like a set of rings or a new piston whatever you get figured out. I’m up in Canada but I definitely would like to know a price and get one

·
Registered
9 Posts

What do you think?
If you give me a phone call we could line something up with my cylinder and piston

·
Registered
9 Posts
2005 650 traxter max..mine sat 4 years now. Rings went, replaced them, seems like they are gone again 2months after getting them changed..so it has sat since then..compression at 120

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ryan
Sorry to have missed this I have been upside down at work and off line most of last year.

I did get a traxter piston and plan on getting some made but I am not sure how soon that will be due to my work load.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lance
Sorry not yet I have been too busy at work. Things should be slowing up soon as most are riding now and I can see a space in my shop. I will start contacting some manufacturers to get a estimate on cost. JE is most likely due to small quantity being made if enough were interested I would look at wiseco but I fear I would need to buy too many to make it viable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I seen this thread and it got me thinking about having one made but I don't even know who to contact in my area about making pistons. I've just been hoping to get lucky and catch one on ebay

·
Admin
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
2,048 Posts

@Ducvet referenced a minimum of 4 pistons. Maybe you both could go in on 4 pistons 2 for each and have them made? Split the cost between you both?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think a better solution is to contact ROTAX with a request to make some quantity of kits. I would buy one engine kit type 511. Must the piston be larger than the factory due to later processing of the cylinder? Do you think anyone has tried to contact ROTAX? I'm not sure if anyone will be able to do as well as ROTAX?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is hard to place a price on anything with cost changes in the last year. usually a JE will be 20-50% less than a wiseco and does require fewer per batch. As with any pistons made we can have them built to our spec. and level. Given the Traxter is NOT a performance machine and is unlikely to ever be one I would keep compression close to stock.

It would be a forged instead of cast so expect a slightly looser fit than a cast piston which may make it slightly noisier when warming up but similar when up to operating temps. weight would be as close to stock as possible to keep balance similar. longevity will be the goal.

As to cylinders there usually are different production sizes.
If we make it to be a simple drop in for the most basic mechanics you have to make it the smallest size which means if you have a large cylinder it will be looser to start.
If we make it the larger size and someone does not measure piston to wall and assembles a too tight piston they will seize the piston. This is why drop in pistons are a compromise.
If the cylinder needs a replating or bore and replate then you will have them fit to spec and less concerns.
Cylinders are rebuildable but as always adds cost.

Costs are a common concern so we do need to keep an eye on them.

I have seen mentions of people needing pistons but not cylinders so I do not know how bad they are at replacement. Nikasil cylinders (oem) are the strongest and last the best in my world so I see no reason they will not work well on a traxter as long as not damaged by a piston or debris getting through the intake.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts