Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what I got, it's a 2014 outlander 800 xt, so the brake calipers are all mounted inside the rims. Well I got into some deep mud that swallowed my tires so mud and everything got caked in everywhere. Well while in the process of being stuck some rocks got wedged between the rim and caliper and wore a hole through the rim. Went to the dealer with it today and they said they have never seen anything like it before.
So long story short I had to buy a new rim at $120, but one of the owners told me that if it happened again they would take care of it for me.
But has anyone ever have this happen before?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've had a rock caught in my rim the 1 and only time i went mudding lol, wore a nice groove in the caliper and rim but never wore a hole through the rim. There isn't much room between the rim and caliper with the 12'' rim. The only way to avoid the problem is to go with 14'' rims, obviously not cheap but give you a reason to upgrade tires and rims lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Happened to me on one of the first rides through on the bike. I put a rock through the rim and a nail through the tire. Both on the same side. I ground it down and welded the inside of the tire.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yep just went throughy this with BRP last year with my 2014 650 XT. It took out my caliper my rims and my swing arm. Also took out my left side caliper on the front. My deal replaced everything under warranty. I would ask your dealer for the BRP direct number and tell them what happen. I am in a fight right now with BRP to have them pay for my new 14 inch rims and new rubber but not going so well. But my dealer has been super great and also at the same time replaced my ball joints and tie rid ends which was nice but also was not happy that my brand new quad needed all that work. So good luck to you with you rims.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have also had this happen on my 2013 with the XT rims.. twice, Once while in a mud hole and the other time just regular trail riding. my luck. I used JB weld on the inside and outside of the rim and held great not a problem and that was over a year and a half ago. I tried to go through warranty and they said they haven't seen it before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts