Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
John,

Have you received the Tune Monster yet? If so, what was your Impression of the software and tuning abilities?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Amazing!

·
Vendor
1,338 Posts
No, it didn't make it here yet.

Steve gave me the tracking last week for it, but my luck, customs will hold it up for a month!!

I am waiting patiently for it.

I'll let you know how it goes. I'll be doing some datalogging for Tune Monster helping him to set up the timing modules for the 1000.

I have alot of testing and tuning to do. I run it on the dyno, and then take it to the track and run it in the 1/4 mile see what differences there are and a/f at speed.

what we are interested in. what happens to stock FUEL after 77 mph? does it hold the same mapping? what happens adding timing to a stock bike? will it lean a/f out too much where you wouldn't see the complete gain?

then there's fan settings for running temps, + or - timing front vs rear. cold start setups. and I'm sure there's much more I don't even know about yet.

like anything else I get my hands on, I like to get every possible bit out of it before I let the at out of the bag.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
4* difference between front and rear cylinder on an 800. Fan would be near the same 170 I'm sure, Cold start-ups are FUN :(

Didn't you buy the whole ECM and everything? not sure how your going to know about the stock fuel, unless that's in the data-logger and if thats the case I too want more parameters added to my data-logger.

·
Vendor
1,338 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got mine yesterday. Just got through with harness A and came in. My 09 renegade was so much easier to install a year ago versus my 12 1000xt. Lots of panels to undo.

In the middle of this install I'm also doing my full muzzy.(courtesy of you John)

Hoping to have it done within the next few days so I can contact Steve for the initial setup.

·
Vendor
1,338 Posts
no problem. I'll share what I find works in my section on here to help those with this setup. big problem for me is finding time to work on my own toys.

John

·
Vendor
1,338 Posts
well, better late than never!!

I finally had the time to work on my own stuff and got the tune monster hooked up last night!!

There's quite a bit to it that most won't understand, but I find it relatively simple to use. similar to a MSD charge FI, with an autotune and datalogger.

I used my LM-2 as the autotuner and wired it into the Monster ECU. did some base runs last night on the dyno and finished them up this afternoon.

Speed limiter is now GONE. I'm pushing 72.9 rwhp with the setup I have in it now. and I still have to datalog my A/F at speed, so I'm heading to the Windmill roads for some top speed runs.

fastest I had it here on the road by the shop (about 1/4 mile uphill stretch) is 85 mph and it was still climbing slowly. figure 86-87 might be tops for this in flat dirt.

Notably the motor runs cooler with the fan on at 180 off at 170.

I have to give a big thank you to Steve at Tune Monster for hooking up a fabulous tuner for these machines, and answering all my questions.

the price is more than most would suspect, but you get so much more. It's actually a bargain compared to all the pieces it would take to do this separately.

when I finalize more tunes and get some more seat time on this I'll gladly share my files to see what most are using.

I still have to finish autotuning the hard and very hard slots, then I'll manually corrrect anything I see using the datalogger and the mapping feature.

felt good to take a ride again on the 1000. its only been sitting there for a few months waiting for me to get the install done!!

John

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
well, better late than never!!

I finally had the time to work on my own stuff and got the tune monster hooked up last night!!

There's quite a bit to it that most won't understand, but I find it relatively simple to use. similar to a MSD charge FI, with an autotune and datalogger.

I used my LM-2 as the autotuner and wired it into the Monster ECU. did some base runs last night on the dyno and finished them up this afternoon.

Speed limiter is now GONE. I'm pushing 72.9 rwhp with the setup I have in it now. and I still have to datalog my A/F at speed, so I'm heading to the Windmill roads for some top speed runs.

fastest I had it here on the road by the shop (about 1/4 mile uphill stretch) is 85 mph and it was still climbing slowly. figure 86-87 might be tops for this in flat dirt.

Notably the motor runs cooler with the fan on at 180 off at 170.

I have to give a big thank you to Steve at Tune Monster for hooking up a fabulous tuner for these machines, and answering all my questions.

the price is more than most would suspect, but you get so much more. It's actually a bargain compared to all the pieces it would take to do this separately.

when I finalize more tunes and get some more seat time on this I'll gladly share my files to see what most are using.

I still have to finish autotuning the hard and very hard slots, then I'll manually corrrect anything I see using the datalogger and the mapping feature.

felt good to take a ride again on the 1000. its only been sitting there for a few months waiting for me to get the install done!!

John
Cool John!
I can't wait to get a copy of your file!

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
So does this take out the "so called power restrictions" that guys said the stock 1000 came with? As far as pulling timing on the top end, and down low to make it feel softer and be safer?

just curious, as I expected the HP numbers to maybe be more if these limiters really were removed.........But I'm not an expert with these things by any means.
Thanks for the reviews!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The power seems to be restricted by the small heads on the 1000, I have the 1108bbk, cams, 51mm TB and the tune monster with stock heads and it's only putting down 88rwhp

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
So does this take out the "so called power restrictions" that guys said the stock 1000 came with? As far as pulling timing on the top end, and down low to make it feel softer and be safer?

just curious, as I expected the HP numbers to maybe be more if these limiters really were removed.........But I'm not an expert with these things by any means.
Thanks for the reviews!
Yep, I removes those "nanny's" and you can do anything you want to your timing.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts

Thanks for the reviews!
Any guess as to how much they limit the power ? Just curious if you "felt" the difference, or not. We all like more ponies! :)

·
Registered
3,325 Posts

Thanks for the reviews!
Any guess as to how much they limit the power ? Just curious if you "felt" the difference, or not. We all like more ponies! :)
about 2rwhp and you can definitively tell the better throttle response.

Reactions: Deadman

·
Vendor
1,338 Posts
I'll agree, there is a notable throttle response with the timing. However like some machines that gain a-ton of peak power with timing, you really only see the benefit after 40 mph and top end.

At about 60 mph, it's holding power about 6 more rwhp than with the PC5 or digituner. low end power went up about 1-2 hp if that, midrange 20-35 power is absolutely identical to the .10th of a hp for about 10 mph.

set your top 4 squares to 35.5 and run a 2*offset on the rear that's about the best power timing can make.

I still see highest hp in the 12.7 range

I'm still seeing peak HP about the 7250 range if I lock out the clutch.

I figure with a throttlebody, possibly 74-75 rwhp?

The results were right on par from what I expected. I'm just glad the rev limiter is gone. it's fun seeing the speedo go past 80 mph easily.

I'll have to wait until Friday when it matches up against the kawasaki 1000 I'll be dynoing, then we head up to the asphalt drags. (I'll loose, but I just want to see how bad) at least I can get a legit 1/4 mile run without going off the limiter 1/2 way down the track

I'll datalog all the runs with the tune monster as well. If I can hide the laptop on me somewhere!!

John

·
Vendor
1,338 Posts
Renelander said:
Cool John!
I can't wait to get a copy of your file!
no problem. just wait until I fine tune it in.

I had the hot start issues yesterday but fixed them, now minor cold start issues today but resolved them fairly easily. takes too long to let it cool down again to see if it worked

1 - 20 of 42 Posts