Can-Am ATV Forum banner

Upgrade front driveshaft?

7K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Jack796 
#1 ·
Went out the other day in some snow and snapped my front drive shaft, going in for warranty tomorow to see if they will fix it, if they don't I can't seem to find any aftermarket drive shafts that are beefier/stronger, was wondering if you guys had any idea or should I stick with oem?
If I have to buy one I'll pay for a good one so this doesn't happen again, wasn't even on it to hard when she snapped
2022 outlander 850 max xt with cv tech clutch, 30 inch tires - cryptids and silverbacks (I had silverbacks on when it snapped)

#2 ·
WOW - Can you post a few pictures of where it broke?

There have been reports of the pinion bolt coming loose causing damage to the teeth.

I understand you have bigger tires and clutch work but breaking the drive shaft in the snow almost sounds impossible considering the force applied in a mud/dirt condition would be much greater.

Maybe that shaft was defective - thank God it happened close to home and not 100 miles out in the back country.......... Pictures would be good to see. :oops:

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply, and I was thinking the same thing, I'm hoping it was defecting and warranty will replace, it was only a food of soft snow, ill get better pictures but you can see there, right where it gets thin it just snapped, and yeah I was lucky was only 500 meters from a road so got it to the road and back home was pretty lucky

#5 ·
That's amazing Allright.

Kinda tough to see exactly where it broke but that helps.

I'm going to completely mess up this spelling but...... there is a modification for the front drive shaft that's highly regarded around here. It's called the Osticruzer prop shaft modification, or something like that. I'm sure someone more familiar than I can clarify. I believe it eliminates the weak points using OEM parts.

I'll try to find the link.
Automotive tire Grey Automotive lighting Gas Tree

Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Metal Personal protective equipment

Which one is the break?

#6 ·

I believe this is the link to the thread by @xsever Introducing the mod.

#9 ·
The OEM shaft is designed this way, with a weak point, so that it snaps first rather than not snapping and causing damage to the diff which would prove much much more expensive to repair.
Were you in 4WD and in reverse by any chance? Trying to pull someone out or with your tires dug in pretty hard?
I've read many threads here of these things snapping while people were trying to pull someone out in 4WD and reverse with the tires dug in.

Reactions: BombardierBomb
#11 ·
I've read many threads here of these things snapping while people were trying to pull someone out in 4WD and reverse with the tires dug in.
Not in the case here.....but it's amazing how many times you see this: people trying to pull something in reverse. You have so much more available if you just turn it around and pull forward.

#10 ·
Was in 4wd, in about 12 inches of soft snow, going up a slight incline tires just spinning, weren't grabbing at all, was just plowing through the snow breaking trail, was super surprised, dropped it off today to see if it will be covered by warranty will update when they call

#13 ·
FWIW the "ostracruiser mod" doesn't address the front driveshaft snapping, it just replaces the flexy boot with a solid one, so the front shaft doesn't pop out of the diff yoke.

Reactions: Chief... and xsever
#16 ·
Wow! Glad to hear it! That's one nice dealership you have there. It's very rare for us to hear a dealership fixing such a problem under warranty.

#17 ·
Great to hear, see there are good dealerships. Remember this next time you are spending money for a new machine or even parts, it is easy to lose a good one so support them. It also shows what a good dealer can be so if yours is NOT taking care of things they should be consider finding traveling to find one that will.

Did the dealer have an answer on why it broke?
Defect?
Normal?

#18 ·
No answer on why it broke, ill talk to the tech when I pick it up, and yeah was very happy, when I first started going there they told me they were good for warranty repairs and that they try really hard warranty everything cause it's work for them, can am pays them so they take thier pictures and stuff showing as little mods as possible, they also have done a axle for me as well with same mods, also a 2 inch lift I forgot to say 🤣

#19 ·
Often you do not get money for warranty you get parts credits and they some times are slow to pay, it differs manufacturer to manufacturer. This is why some don't want to do warranty work, if they do not have the money to have float the time until payment as well as if they simply do not buy enough parts to make good use of parts credits. Other shops that can do so look at it as a safe long term plan and will grab as much of it as possible.

#21 ·
Brp has upgrade part for g2 stopping engine moving on front mounting bush:
That should also help with that front drive shaft..

#22 ·
I tried to look up that part number and nothing comes up. Could you recheck that number for me? I get a clunking sound whin I am going down hill slowly in bumps. The type that load up your drivetrain and then release as you are crawling through tussiks. I've always thought it was that drive shaft but I haven't done the boot mod. From reading other threads, it sounds like that mod is a mother to keep that boot clamped in the right position. Not really sure how important doing that mod would be for me. Maybe if it's the engine flexing, that might be a better fix? Not sure.