Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased (but not picked up yet) a new 2014 Outlander 650 Max Xt and have also upgraded the stock tires to 27" Kenda Executioners. Will the machine be able to handle the tires with the stock clutch set-up? I will not be mudding nor being a speed demon with the atv.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I would think that only going up one inch in tire diameter, and not doing any mudding, you should be ok with the stock clutch.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would think that only going up one inch in tire diameter, and not doing any mudding, you should be ok with the stock clutch.
That is what I was thinking as well, especially since the Kendas run small...a 27" Kenda is almost the same height as the stock 26", the only difference is that the kendas are hearvier than stock tires. Not sure if its this weight that will cause problems.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're not doing mud then why get executioners?
Well, good question. I am new to the world of atv and not that well educated in tire specifics. I told the dealer about how I envisioned the use of the atv....mostly hunting and trapping type scenarios. So not the looking for deep mud holes that people have created by endless passes in 4wd type of riding but still encountering nature both in the dry and wet form. He said that because I would be experiencing some types of muddy situations with some "rough" terrain like sticks and such...an upgrade would be usefull for me. He suggested the ITP 589's would be perfect but because they are not made anymore he suggested these Kendas Executioners. He said they are a tough tire and I would be hard pressed to puncture them, but yet they are not an extreme mud tire like the silverbacks. He said that they would be good for trails where we hunt going at slow speeds and yet get me around the forrest if I do encounter softer conditions.

I trusted my dealer with his knowledge and hope that it will be ok. I know that there are lots of tires that I maybe could of gone with (like maybe Maxxis Zillas), but I hope the Kendas will be ok...if not I have time to change my mind.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I would go for the maxxis zilla for you riding. IT will be better in the mud and better on the trail. As for the clutch I put 28" on my 1000 and don't really notice much power loss except for lunch. I haven't done the clutch yet because I'm waiting for the new VFJ clutch.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
An Outlander 650 will turn any size tires you can fit on it. Its funny sometimes on here how convinced we've become you need a 1000 to turn any tires bigger than stock haha. The 650 has more power than almost every other machine out there. If those executioners run true to size they will be around 2" larger that the stock carlisle ACT's, which run very short. They will be a fair bit heavier, the stockers are crazy light, but your machine will turn them no problem, you might lose 2-3 mph on the top end and a touch of low end snap but since your not into hard riding you wont notice it at all.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Not that the executioner is a bad tire , I don't think it would serve you well. Go Kenda Bearclaw HTR, they are larger in diameter even in the 26. I have never ridden the Maxxi Zillas but have seen them in action; excellent tire. These 2 tires are cheaper and and would serve you better. That is my opinion. There are several other tires like bighorns that are better for all around use .

·
Registered
414 Posts
Up here in pa we have pretty much all the different terrain you will find. Im running the stock tires on my xt and I've yet to come across anything that I had to winch out of or couldnt get though(realistic trail mud not up to the bars mud hole) Never had a problem getting over trees and such either. We went riding when we had around 15in of snow and even then the tires did well as I was pushing snow up to my winch fairlead roller. I also plow with mine and never had a problem pushing snow with them. Im not saying that the stock tires are the best but for stock they will get you though just about everything. I'd personally wait till yours wear down before you throw away brand new stockers but thats just me im cheap like that. lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts