Can-Am ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Vendor
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have never installed my setup in an older 650. I believe you may have the 800R weights in the 650's and they weigh 31 grams. My weight kit adjusts from 34-43 grams and would be too heavy mass for a 650 to have any gains the 1000's and 8000's start at 38 grams. so that leaves enough room for adjustments.

Most of the stuff I do is 1000cc and some 800cc stuff. I don't see much aftermarket interest for the smaller cc versions.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks for the info. According to the Dalton website the 650 kit is different then the 800 kit. Maybe I will look into the dalton kit. thanks again. By the way I hear we have a mutual friend. My friend is going out with Jere Neikum

·
Vendor
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yes, I know Jere very well. I don't know Chris, but I know he has a Brute 750 from her facebook posts. I haven't seen her in years.

As far as the dalton kit, they are lighter weights than the 800 for the 650. I don't make anything that light.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Chris is a good guy. He has a 650 brute also. That is what Jere rides now that he got his 750. They are both very nice people. Thanks again for the info. Maybe sometime we can meet up and ride together.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Clutch kit for outty Xmr 1000

hey John i am looking to upgrade my stock 2013 Can Am outlander Xmr 1000 with a clutch kit do you have anything for it? and what kind of price am i looking at? also i would love to put a dual muzzy exhaust or a LTE exhaust which do you recomend and how much can you do either or for?

i appreciate your time thank you

Josh

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hey John,
I was curious if you make a clutch kit upgrade that's as affective as a QSC. Everyone says get a QSC and I'm almost there. But what keeps a clutch kit from being as effective as a replacement primary? Is the primary made of a denser metal? Is it machined differently? I hope that opening question didn't sound like I was bashing. Replacement primaries just seem to be the best to a majority of members on the forum...or so it would seem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have never installed my setup in an older 650. I believe you may have the 800R weights in the 650's and they weigh 31 grams. My weight kit adjusts from 34-43 grams and would be too heavy mass for a 650 to have any gains the 1000's and 8000's start at 38 grams. so that leaves enough room for adjustments.

Most of the stuff I do is 1000cc and some 800cc stuff. I don't see much aftermarket interest for the smaller cc versions.
I am riding an 11 800r outty so does that mean I have the 31 gram weights and wouldnt benifit from the kit? Im hoping not because im loving the fact of having all the easy adjustments as im very new to the cvt type trannys and will probably spend a lot of time tuning it just right. Running 28inch mega mayhems on 14 I ch wheels looking to get some of that low end hit back and get backshift quicker.

·
Vendor
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
hey John i am looking to upgrade my stock 2013 Can Am outlander Xmr 1000 with a clutch kit do you have anything for it? and what kind of price am i looking at? also i would love to put a dual muzzy exhaust or a LTE exhaust which do you recomend and how much can you do either or for?

i appreciate your time thank you

Josh

i'm pretty sure you already ordered parts from me yesterday?? But here's the info anyway.

for the clutch I have adjustable weights to run in the stock clutch. 200.00 optional spring for larger than 30's that come with it 25.00

no dual muzzy for the XMR. slipon only.

·
Vendor
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

I am riding an 11 800r outty so does that mean I have the 31 gram weights and wouldnt benifit from the kit? Im hoping not because im loving the fact of having all the easy adjustments as im very new to the cvt type trannys and will probably spend a lot of time tuning it just right. Running 28inch mega mayhems on 14 I ch wheels looking to get some of that low end hit back and get backshift quicker.
I'm pretty sure only the renegade 09+ 800r has the 31 grammers. the outty I put them in was 38 grams I'm more than certain and it was a 2011. I don't have any here to check directly.

·
Vendor
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hey John,
I was curious if you make a clutch kit upgrade that's as affective as a QSC. Everyone says get a QSC and I'm almost there. But what keeps a clutch kit from being as effective as a replacement primary? Is the primary made of a denser metal? Is it machined differently? I hope that opening question didn't sound like I was bashing. Replacement primaries just seem to be the best to a majority of members on the forum...or so it would seem.

That, I do not have. There is no comparison comparing a clutch kit made for a stock can am clutch, to a clutch that has a smaller center diameter to underdrive the clutching. The weak link in the can am stock clutches are the 1 way bearing and the 2.25 inch center diameter starting point for the belt. Plus, the fact that the sheaves do not stay locked and the outer can spin, this makes it the weak link even greater when installing larger tires.

My Clutch kit weights and spring setups are more oriented for sport riding 25-26-27- some 28 inch tires. or on the XMR with 30-32 due to the gearing difference. They are inexpensive @ 200.00 compared to the 1300+ you'd spend on the aftermarket clutches.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks john ill do some diggin and make sure before I order. Is there any other suggestions you have as far as running the 28s and changing springs and what not. The bike is stock with just the wheels and tires plan on ordering a muzzy slip on and digi tuner when funds permit later.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I just put one of john's kits in my 800r so I can weigh one of the stock weights this evening and let you know. It is from a 13 model so I don't know if there was a difference between year models.

The kit that I installed on the 800 was setup by john for my 1000 with 29.5 OL2's and does have a different primary spring. No changes were made to the setup before I put it in the 800. Just wanted to see where it came out at.

The 800 has 27" Bighorn 2.0's on 14" wheels and is bone stock for the moment. With the kit alone, from a dead stand still, it will pull the front wheels and stand straight up. Mind you that both of my Outty's are the Max chassis. before the kit, it would only pick the fronts up about 6 inches off the ground from a stand still.

John's kits do make a noticeable difference and work. Tune-ability of the kit is a snap with the removable weights. If you are not spending the money on a complete primary, I highly recommend john's kit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thats what I like to here. I doubt ill ever go full primary this isnt a mud bike we ride some small creeks mostly less than a foot of water and trails. Is there anywhere that gives kinda a guide as far as tuning a kit like this would work. I understand the lighter you go the higher the shift out, but what about as far as the outside vs the inside weight changes.

·
Vendor
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I personally set up the weights with the adjusters for you. bolt it in and go from there. if you need to make any adjustments.

I have just 2 left. it'll be a while before I get more of these made up.

John

·
Registered
359 Posts
Give John a call. He will set up the kit for you based on what you currently have on the bike. Then all you will have to do is fine tune it to your liking from there. Chances are you won't have to change the setup as John has set up plenty of kits and pretty much knows where they need to be. I never had to make any changes to mine once installed. If you have a question about his kits, John is very helpful with questions and explanations.

Edit: John beat me to it......

·
Registered
189 Posts
hey John, i have a 2011 renegade 800 and i need a clutch kit. Im running 28 inch tires and what do i need? Do you ship to canada? What method of payment do you take? Do the kits come with instructions for installing and tuning?

thanks,

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey VFJ how is the availability on the clutch kits for the 1000's coming? I got my new tires on now can't wait to install one of your kits!!

21 - 40 of 66 Posts