Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to this thread, just bought a 2021XTP outlander 1000r. I am coming off a 2013 Polaris 850. My question is from guys more experienced with the Can-Am’s is How do you like the visco lok? Would appreciate any feedback
Thank you

·
Registered
2021 Canam Outlander 1000 Max XTP
189 Posts
I like the visco lock a lot actually, especially the new version. It locks up much quicker than the old system.

In my opinion, there are very limited times a true locker would be an advantage. Those times don’t apply to my style of riding.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Love the visco lok!

Bulletproof system that works extremely well for the type of riding I do.
Its gotten me out of more than a couple of pucker moments.

Reactions: Bonzo

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,594 Posts
Didn't the 21's get the new Visco-4Lok? Or was that just the XMR?

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,594 Posts
Think you're right.....went and checked BRP site real quick.

I've got no gripes with the Visco lock, it's rather "automatic", once 4wd is selected. BRP's first iteration of the diffs in the older bikes, took a few revolutions of the unloaded tire, before locking up the other, but the newer redesigns, the "QE" (quick engage) ones, act much more like a locker, but without that ridiculous steering feedback that a locker gives.

So I mean, it's not a locker, no, but it also allows you to steer the thing. Best compromise I can think of 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Didn't the 21's get the new Visco-4Lok? Or was that just the XMR?
Does "visco-4lok" mean what I think it does?
I havent heard anything about that, I'll have to check that out...

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,594 Posts
Does "visco-4lok" mean what I think it does?
I havent heard anything about that, I'll have to check that out...
Yeah, supposed to be a true locker for the front diff. New "update" for the '21 XMR's. Haven't dug into it much myself, but there's info on the BRP site.

Reactions: Jungleman

·
Registered
860 Posts
My only complaint with the visco loc is on slippery surfaces it does not always lock it seems to take a bit before it senses it needs to lock up. Coming off a machine that had a electric locker in the front sorta wish i would have waited a year or so for the 4lok to become standard in all machines..

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
My only complaint with the visco loc is on slippery surfaces it does not always lock it seems to take a bit before it senses it needs to lock up. Coming off a machine that had a electric locker in the front sorta wish i would have waited a year or so for the 4lok to become standard in all machines..
I could see how that could happen in mud snow ice etc.
Usually theres plenty of traction for me but hanging one tire in the air, clawing to the top of some crazy steep stuff, log hopping, rock crawling etc hookup is practically instantaneous.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
There is an e-locker in the back of my tacoma, love it.
Only system I can think of that would beat the visco lok ;)

·
Registered
860 Posts
I could see how that could happen in mud snow ice etc.
Usually theres plenty of traction for me but hanging one tire in the air, clawing to the top of some crazy steep stuff, log hopping, rock crawling etc hookup is practically instantaneous.
That actually where I have had the slow lock up, wet logs,rocks and such when I'm climbing and lift a tire

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Hmmm thats strange, mine hooks right up np.

Have you tried playing with just a little brake using the handlebar lever?
I apply slight pressure to the brakes as Im hopping/climbing just out of habit. Not sure if it really helps or not maybe I just lucked out again and got a good unit.
Im sure you have nice fresh fluid in there, that helps too...

·
Registered
722 Posts
The gear oil is not part of the visco lok system. It has its own fluid that is not changeable.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts