Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well going to do the Temperature gauge but why do people do the volt meter/gauge also? What is the actual purpose of this gauge?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Peace of mind I suppose, shows the current state of charging at a glance, Good info if you are having troubles.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
like if you noticed low voltage what would you do?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Turn around and head for the nearest road. If your running low voltgage and continue, the ATV will eventually enter limp mode. Never been there but reading what others have wrote on here, not a place I would ever want to go. You may also have a regulator failure and run high voltage which can damage the ECM.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I had the stator go out on my Kingquad while on tracks on an awesome day without knowing it. I thought it was an issue with the aftermarket ecu I had from VDI. The VDI needs a minimum voltage to fire the plug. Once I switched to the stock ecu, it ran fine for about 5 to10 minutes until the voltage got too low to let the stock ecu fire. A volt meter would have let me know there was a problem sooner, but I would have still had to be towed back to the truck.

Do I have a separate volt meter on the Can Am? No, and I don't plan on adding one either. That's my thoughts.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I suppose people that have a plow that are constantly using the winch would like to have a volt meter also.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay thanks guys so what would be the next best option gauge wise? oil temp. or oil pressure or what. kinda need two so it will look right on my bike.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Okay thanks guys so what would be the next best option gauge wise? oil temp. or oil pressure or what. kinda need two so it will look right on my bike.
I was thinking it'd be kind of cool to have an oil pressure gauge. It'd be nice to know you have oil when you're on those extreme angles.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Oil pressure is a nice addition if you want to fill a space. At least you know it's got oil in it. BrianE had my Kingquad BBK engine in his King when the oil pressure dummy light I installed went on. The problem was the case had cracked across the crank (we think from a major starter kickback) and it wouldn't hold any oil. Still had to tow him back on tracks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
anybody have any tips on installing the oil pressure gauge. like where to put the sending units and the fittings needed??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts