Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a xt/rt 2500 warn winch on my renegade and it quit working.
when i push the rocker switch , absolutel:sad:y nothing, no click or anything. when i connect power direct to the motor, the motor works fine. checking with a test light, when i push the rocker i get light at the posts on the motor. i then put in a new contactor thinking that was the issue. still nothing !!!!! again with the test light, i have light on the power lead, then when i put the light on either post (yellow wire or blue wire to winch) and push the rocker switch , the light lights up.
WTF, why won't the winch work, totally puzzled. help please.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The only thing I can think of is a poor connection so the motor is not getting enough voltage to turn. A test light will not show the voltage obviously. Try a meter on it.

Did the new contactor click?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Also when testing for power, use the same ground the winch uses so you get an accurate reading of what the winch is seeing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no clicking from contactor when activating the rocker switch.
will try a voltage meter to see how much power going thru.
i did check and clean all connections, everything is bare metal.
this is very puzzling. IF not enough voltage going thru, what's the next step? (new motor, new contactor, all connecitons clean...........?????)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
problem solved !!!! it was a bad ground on the ground wire from the contactor.
when i was testing with a test light, always independenly grounded it, but when i used the same ground as the contactor, did not work. a little sanding/cleaning and
all works fine. fell like such a idiot, never claimed to be the shiniest apple in the box
when it comes to electrical issues. thanks again for all your input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts