Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still in the process of getting a new bike! I was going to go with the Xmr 650 but then realized it only had a 6 month warenty! So then I talked to dealer and they can build me a camo outlander 650xt with rad relocate snorkel and 27" zillas $15,500 out the door... This setup has a 3 year warrenty which is cheaper than Xmr if I buy the extended warenty and a winch!!

So now I am thinking I can buy a 800 Xmr for the same price as the outlander 650 if I do all the upgrades!!

What I am wondering is a 6 month warrenty long enough? Or should I go with the outlander with a 3 year for peace of mind?!

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
1 year would be nice. I had 3 year and IMHO you don't need that much. Wait a bit. Usually Can Am comes out with extra warranty deals from time to time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was also starting to think 3 is a bit much but wanted others opinions that have owned can ams.

If I'm spending up wards of $14000 I will ask if the dealer will through in a extra 6 month warrenty to bring it up to 1 year on the 800xmr! Worth a try haha!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea the 2015 outlanders get the 3 year but Xmr's don't!! What 2014s get $2400 off? I can seem to find anywhere what models get that deal? Or does it depend what the dealer has left?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Still in the process of getting a new bike! I was going to go with the Xmr 650 but then realized it only had a 6 month warenty! So then I talked to dealer and they can build me a camo outlander 650xt with rad relocate snorkel and 27" zillas $15,500 out the door... This setup has a 3 year warrenty which is cheaper than Xmr if I buy the extended warenty and a winch!!

So now I am thinking I can buy a 800 Xmr for the same price as the outlander 650 if I do all the upgrades!!

What I am wondering is a 6 month warranty long enough? Or should I go with the outlander with a 3 year for peace of mind?!
I bought my xmr 800 with the 5 year extended and it was 13,900 out the door so i wouldn't do the 650 for the 15,500. the money you will save getting the 800 you can use to get the QSC and STM clutch set up. Plus the 650 xmr is only a little over 10 grand you can buy a winch and install it your self for half the price the dealer would and my 5 year warranty only cost around 1300 bucks so you would still be a lot cheaper going that rout. I think i would try a different dealer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just took advantage of getting a 2014 XMR 1000, and it is based on availability. My dealer had to drive 40 miles to get the machine as they had no more 2014's in stock. Dealer may need to call around ot locate one for you. They may try to talk you into a 2015 but the rebate is only like 800 off the 2015's. 2015's also did away with the ACS suspension and in turn the ability to use the onboard compressor to fill your tires from under the seat. I speciffically only went looking for a 2014 and luckly they located one or I would have purchase out-of-state. I am going to purchase the 1 year extended warrantly which in all actuality pushed your period of coverage out to 18mo as Can-am adds that onto the end of your factory warranty vs othe companies that start it from the time of purchase so you actually have 2 warranties overlapping and its a waste of money. For the money the warranty costs, if you use it at least once or twice and it has more than paid for iteself.

·
Registered
278 Posts
That setup should run you around $10,000-$11,000 The MSRP of the 650XMR is only $10,500 so you should be able to get it under 10k before taxes. There is a lot of markup in the extended warranty, so dont pay full price for it! It sounds like you are being taken for a ride!

·
Registered
312 Posts
you guys have to remember that we are in Canada, the price is a fair bit higher here. as for the warranty I'd personally get it for as long as you can, I've had my bike 2 years this month and its had just over $15,000 worth of warranty work done to it and its sitting in the garage right now with no front brakes (fluid has leaked out) so its probably going back to the dealer for more work. I've been battling with BRP since the bike was 2 months old when it first went in for over $2500 worth of warranty work but they don't seem to care much.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
The extended warranty won't cover crap, so don't put a lot of $$$$ into it!

·
Registered
312 Posts
The extended warranty won't cover crap, so don't put a lot of $$$$ into it!
my last bill without extended warranty would have been $1800. All I paid was the $50 deductible because of the warranty. It was part of the promotion when I bought the bike and didn't cost me any extra

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here in Ontario, the Xmr 650 is:

$11,199.00
FRT $395.00
PDI $205.00
ADMIN $95.00
+ tax
+winch
+$1300 for 3 year warrenty

The outlander xt 650 in CAMO (winch rere bumper included):

$11,899.00 FRT etc included
Tire exchange 27" $389.96
Snorkel $400
Rad kit $400
Labour $270
+ tax

The outlander works out to about $500 cheaper in the end and is in camo (no big deal) $1000 less if I went yellow

The Xmr price is at one dealer and he outlander price is at a different dealer both dealers said the can match one another!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just checked with dealer 1 hour away and can get me on a 2015 Xmr 800 with a 3 year warrenty for $15,600 OTD by far the best deal I have found

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought the extended warranty for my 14 outlander 800xt... it was $600 for 2 years and an additional $600 for the 3rd year... I went with the 3 year

·
Registered
9 Posts
1 year warranty

I just purchased a 2015 6x6 and it came with a 6 month warranty. They had some kind of promotion and added another 6 months for free making it a full year. I chose not to purchase the extended warranty.

I don't know if its different for each vehicle or not.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Whatever you decide to do, make sure it's with a dependable dealer.
Someone that will go to bat for you with the reps at CanAm. It seems the company
is notorious for turning down warranty claims. A really good dealer will take care of you.
I would do my homework.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Read around here, they deny a lot of warranty claims……The info is all here..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I purtchas a bike at a can am dealer 1 hour away and something breaks can I go to a different dealer that's closer to me and get it fixed under warrenty or do I have to go to the dealer I buy it from all the time to fix stuff?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Here in Ontario, the Xmr 650 is:

$11,199.00
FRT $395.00
PDI $205.00
ADMIN $95.00
+ tax
+winch
+$1300 for 3 year warrenty

The outlander xt 650 in CAMO (winch rere bumper included):

$11,899.00 FRT etc included
Tire exchange 27" $389.96
Snorkel $400
Rad kit $400
Labour $270
+ tax

The outlander works out to about $500 cheaper in the end and is in camo (no big deal) $1000 less if I went yellow

The Xmr price is at one dealer and he outlander price is at a different dealer both dealers said the can match one another!
When I bought my bike 2 years ago I paid about $1,200 off MSRP

If I purtchas a bike at a can am dealer 1 hour away and something breaks can I go to a different dealer that's closer to me and get it fixed under warrenty or do I have to go to the dealer I buy it from all the time to fix stuff?
you can take your bike to any BRP dealer, you would/should get higher priority from the one you purchased it from but any of them can do warranty work.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yes any can am dealer can and will do warranty work. You dont have to take it back to the same dealer. I also would go with the 800 xmr over the 650 xt simply because you are getting more motor for pretty much the same price.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts