Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought this quad and have only put maybe 4 hours on since I bought it. I always parked it in the same place to make sure I would notice any leaks. But when I went to change the oil in the tranny nothing but water and a little oil came out. The water was clean and I flushed it with diesel twice and now its sitting with diesel in the tranny now to see if it leaks any. My question is because I just bought this and haven't sunk it how did it get in there? because the water was clean and it shifted fine before do you think I could get away with just flushing it with diesel a couple more times and flushing it with oil a couple times?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Wow that is crappy. Asuming you are telling the truth about not sinking it I'd say you got an enemy or someone at the factory was having a bad day.

I'd extend your warranty as long as you can and ride the piss out of it till it blows up. The flush should get it but I'd replace that oil after a couple rides and repeat until nothing milky comes out.

Best of luck man.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Would be better to flush with a cheap grade of gear oil. Diesel can and will swell up the seals and cause it to leak if left for ext. periods. Check your breathers and seals to make sure there's no place water can get in. Did you buy a used quad?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea the diesel will only be in there for 24 hours and I will flush it with cheapo oil then put royal purple in. I did buy it used but I will check the vent lines is there only one line?

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
So you bought a quad that was swamped. Better plan on changing EVERY other fluid in it Multiple times to get the water out of everything else.

This is the exact reason I will NEVER buy a used quad. All you need to do is look around here at random pics and most are balls deep in water/mud.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The reason for water in the tranny isn't because it was swamped! There is a few ways water will get in the tranny. One there are the four gearbox indicator switches on the right side of the tranny, take each one off one at a time and clean them and when you put them back on use a little silicone or RTV to seal them up. Also one of your seals may be leaking. Output shaft seal where the rear driveshaft comes into the tranny (not to bad to change), The shift shaft seal (easy to change), countershaft seal, behind CVT cover (not to bad to change), and the seal between the tranny and the engine (have to pull the tranny and engine out).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how would a guy know which is leaking? I changed all the other fluids and all was ok maybe a little water in front diff but not bad. I bought used because it was less than half the price and came with exhaust programmer elkas powersteering skids bumpers pegs and other little add ons. It seemed like a killer deal at the time.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Killer deals are usually killer for a reason. Not saying yours is bad but people usually dump problems cheap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand that but the guy seemed like a straight up guy and its always a risk when you wanna play. My question is how worried should I really be on this? how would I check which seal is shot?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
also is there any way to view the inside of the tranny without taking it out? and is there a filter?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Not really much u can doo to see in there. As for finding a leaking seal. Clean around all the seals and ride the bike. Take it for some rides on clean trails. Then check the seal area and see which are leakin. Not much else u can do. Flushing with Trans fluid is always good aswell. Tranny fluid has detergents in it that will clean things up and help absorb water. Other the that just get good oil in it and ride it. Not much else u can do unless u want to pull it out and open it up

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok great thanks to all the replys I will pick up some cheap tranny fluid and flush it a couple times and see where that gets me

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok so I flushed it and ran it all was good seals didn't look to leak and didn't leave oil where parked but I put it seat deep in water for about a minute and when I drained the oil it was 2% milk haha. the vent line was reran new when I snorkeled it. How am I getting all this water in? What would be the ball park range to replace all the seals?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Going to guess around 60 dollars through brp for the seals. Through a bearing and seal supplier probably around 30-40. Shouldn't be to hard to change them out. Would be nice if you new which one was leaking for sure. One other spot to check are the contact screws for the gear indicator. Possibly leaking there as well.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You may be getting water in through your shifter seal. Its high up and oil might not come out it when its running. As far as your outout shaft seal, if its not leaking oil, I don't think it would let water in. It may be possible to change it from underneath with a little skill. Your input seal is in between the motor and gearbox. Have to pull the motor for that one and it won't let water in. Check your vent line closely or replace it. It would have to be a rear bad opening to let so much water in for such a short time under water.

·
Registered
947 Posts
U could try usuing the vent line to put a small amount of air pressure in the trans and then use some soapy water around the seals and any place u suspect a leak. Would be best to drain the oil out before doing this as well. But remember only small amount air pressure or u will blow seals out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts