·
Registered
2019 570 outlander. 2018 570 outlander.
197 Posts
Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Plant
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Sky
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
Plant Cloud Sky Natural landscape Tree

Upper Michigan weekend ride, got in 280 miles in two days so not too bad a trip. Waterfalls, Pictured Rocks, The Big Spring, few other attractions. I have spent a lot of time in the U.P. so I had seen all this before so I did not get any pics of those places. Being who I am, I was more interested in all of the different machines more than anything... That last pic of that sand pit, it was massive. A lot of money was flying around betting who could climb what hill. "Stopped at the bottom in 2WD see who can get to the top." "OK OK, slow start in low, 2WD." "OK how about stopped 4WD in reverse." We had $20s changing hands left and right. It was pretty interesting to see what tires and machines performed which way and pitting CCs against one another. We spent a while there tearing stuff up. One of the best rides of my life.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Can-Am Outlander Max XT 650
1,113 Posts
Being who I am, I was more interested in all of the different machines more than anything
Add me to this club! I always like riding different machines to see how they compare to mine. Care to expand on that a bit more? I see a Grizzly/Kodiak and a Sportsman in the pics.

·
Registered
197 Posts
So I was the outsider in the group (I did not know most of these guys) so there was no machine swapping. But, my buddy rode my 570 for the trip and I took the wife's machine. He said the 570 is way faster than his 2004 700 Griz (needed parts that were on backorder) but he thinks his has more low end. What was interesting to me was that some of the SXSs were limited at 55 and 57 MPH. Specifically a 700 and an 850. There were a couple SXS 1000s that were pretty sweet units, power windows, glass windshield vs plastic, heat and AC, blinkers, that kind of stuff, it was pretty sweet to see what they offered, but those guys were not pushing their machines so I did not think to ask top speed. What I noticed when riding was that the Can Ams stayed "higher" on the trail when in the whoops due to the swing arms. The Polaris had rear A arms so the center would dip as the wheels rode up so it appeared that the cam am remained higher but that was an observation, I did not measure or test back at camp. I got 100 miles out of my tank with a bit more left, the 650 about the same but the Polaris used a little more gas we found out, not sure why as we rode the same basically. The overall Can Am construction, to me, seemed a little more solid, or maybe just more hidden, than the Polaris, it just seemed more exposed to everything. I did not really look over the Griz as I was looking over the SXSs. My biggest take away, tires and shocks. These trails were pretty sweet and very little water but when we hit that sand, some guys just got buried, some guys took off. As you can see there are no sand tires but stock or vertical patterns worked worse. A more horizontal pattern seemed to work best, which makes sense, they are more like paddles. Shocks were a big one, my feet were hammering off the boards in the whoops, and there were massive sections of them but because the SXS's rode better they didn't care. We kept waiting way back so we could just hammer through them. Hit them with speed and stay on the tops made life much easier we found out. Not sure if I helped you at all X but that was what I took from it all. Once my buddy gets his 700 up we will have his griz, that polaris, my 570 and a 650 to take turns on. Those guys are all my buddies so I will try and report back once we trade around and beat them.

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Max 450 DPS
453 Posts
Thanks Orion, it does look like a super trailer. Am grateful for your help.
I had a look at the line of Bosski trailers through a link provided in another thread and spotted Freewill's trailer. Must be some fun to have that kind of hauling capacity.

·
Registered
Outlander Max X-TP 1000T
270 Posts
Thanks Orion, it does look like a super trailer. Am grateful for your help.
I had a look at the line of Bosski trailers through a link provided in another thread and spotted Freewill's trailer. Must be some fun to have that kind of hauling capacity.
You’re welcome. Only modification that I would want to that one is a drop down rear/tailgate to make it easier to winch in a 450lb red deer carcass. Other than that it would be perfect for my needs.

·
Nobody Special
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
1,104 Posts
Upper Michigan weekend ride, got in 280 miles in two days so not too bad a trip. Waterfalls, Pictured Rocks, The Big Spring, few other attractions. I have spent a lot of time in the U.P. so I had seen all this before so I did not get any pics of those places. Being who I am, I was more interested in all of the different machines more than anything... That last pic of that sand pit, it was massive. A lot of money was flying around betting who could climb what hill. "Stopped at the bottom in 2WD see who can get to the top." "OK OK, slow start in low, 2WD." "OK how about stopped 4WD in reverse." We had $20s changing hands left and right. It was pretty interesting to see what tires and machines performed which way and pitting CCs against one another. We spent a while there tearing stuff up. One of the best rides of my life.
That looks similar to where I used to ride. North end of Stephan Bridge Rd north of Grayling. In the National Guard reservation.

·
Nobody Special
1,104 Posts
You’re welcome. Only modification that I would want to that one is a drop down rear/tailgate to make it easier to winch in a 450lb red deer carcass. Other than that it would be perfect for my needs.
With some modification and knowledge of welding aluminum, you could modify the rear to fold down after the top is open. Could even install a small winch in it to drag the carcass in the trailer.

·
Super Moderator
1,113 Posts
I got 100 miles out of my tank with a bit more left, the 650 about the same but the Polaris used a little more gas we found out, not sure why as we rode the same basically.
Thank you for the writeup. Well appreciated.
What engine did the Polaris have? 570 as well?

·
Registered
197 Posts
570 yes. My buddy bought it from a guy who put 1.7 miles on it and parked it, I believe it is a 2019 as he was ice fishing with it last season. Got a super deal on it and that trip was basically the break in. Not sure if that had anything to do with it X.

·
Super Moderator
1,113 Posts
My buddy and I went for a ride last Saturday where we checked out a couple of very old churches/monasteries along the way. It's very fascinating to know that monks and priests lived there long time ago.

·
Super Moderator
1,113 Posts
While my wife was out this morning for a birthday brunch with a former colleague, I went out on the Can-Am to plan for her birthday supper.
How thoughtful of you. I hope the supper went well. Happy wife, happy life!

·
Registered
2021 Outlander Max 450 DPS
453 Posts
This is at the exact same spot that I swamped my 450 last month when the water level was above the wheels. Many mud holes have dried up or have become passable and now our rides are getting dusty rather than wet.
Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
317 Posts
For this weekend's ride, my wife and I went to Nevada and rode part of the Silver State OHV Trail System. We put in a 130 mile ride this time, and had a great time with the X3. Temps were on the warm side, and hit 113 F in the lower elevation valley floors west of Caliente, NV.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I rode 275 miles in one day back in 2007. I'm older now and can't even imagine how bad the monkey butt would be if I tried that now. Looks like you had a great time, and the scenery is amazing. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Reactions: Freewill

·
Nobody Special
1,104 Posts
You must be one tough hombre!
Last summer I helped my boss load a semi truck with hay bales. I was sore at the end of that day. The 240 miles I just rode made me feel like I loaded hay on another trailer. 🤪
But is was so much fun doing all that riding! Just don't stop for long or the skeeters will swarm ya!

·
Registered
317 Posts
My wife and I rode our ATVs through what looked like a post apocalyptic world for this weekends ride. Our state thinks the way to manage our National Forest is to burn it down. This is yet another "controlled burn" that usually end up being uncontrolled burns, that take out half the mountain range. So sad to see this, and it happens all the time.

241 - 260 of 300 Posts