Can-Am ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Phones and internet have been strange lately dont feel bad.

Hit the edit button then tap or click in the square where you would enter words and hit the X on the phone keypad or backspace on the computer.

Did you guys get out??

We should have a weekend ride or recent ride thread.
Love to see me some outlanders!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Dont mean to jump all over your thread huntingquad.

I like it.

If you dont mind I'll keep it going.

Rain coming again tomorow and 62 degrees & sunny at the riding area today, so since Copilot is up to loading up finally I got out and did a short few hours 45 miles.
Lots of people out.
Would have taken pics of the staging areas but there was definately a gathering of more than 50 people and nobody wants martial law mandatory lockdown.

All the 2stroke fumes in the air killed any nastys in the air Im sure.
We practised social distancing by not shaking hands and waving or nodding as we passed on the trails.

On any sunday

Hit some mud holes for you guys.

Im gonna need a snorkel and a rad relocate,
And some 30s and a 6" lift....move the breathers up.
What else...
No, I kid.
This is about how deep the mud holes get around here lol

Even the stream crossings are low thanks to the lack of snowpack this year.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Still amazed,
coming from a foot shifter full time 4wd but having rode other "modern" quads and dirt bikes all my life,
how these things can go from gnarly 4wheeling to 30mph drifting on an open dirt road.

Love this thing!

Screenshot_20200322-194724_Gallery.jpg

Thats it.
Hope everybody had a good weekend.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
No biggie!! keep it going guys! Good to see more people getting out in the 'early' season!! This past ride our machine really impressed us. These machines are just freaking beasts! We are still confused on how people think they don't ride so well stock from the factory, and how they don't think the stock tires are all that great. We think it rides well and these tires chew EVERYTHING up (including my yard lol)..

We got a little heavy snow last night, and it's still coming down this morning on my way into work.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Cool to see you can get out. Here in Ontario we are not suppose to ride the trails till first of May. Gives them a chance to harden up and you don't rut them all up. My ATV club is watching closely to the Covid -19. If the Government imposes more strict rules on Social Distancing they might keep the Trails closed. Have fun for now.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Great!
We should definately keep this going.

Love to see builds and fixes and mods but this is what its all for right? The end result is getting it running or modded and getting out there!

Thats funny you say that.
After a couple rides thats what I named this quad.
The Beast
And its "just" a 400
& I know what you mean about it being just awesome stock.
My younger brother has had a strict no front yard policy for years. My neighbor rode his dirt bike out back shortly after I got this and stopped by to say wow man that thing really rutted it up deep back there.

Why yes it did

·
Registered
811 Posts
Good to see lots of kids out!
Truckloads 4wheeling with their family besides all the little ones riding mini dirt bikes and woo hoo'ing in sxs's

I remember the nuclear age and "shelter" under desk drills...like that was going to do us any good???

Couldnt wait to get out of school, grab my dog and some buddies and hit the track on our dirt bikes. Let the bombs come.

I know this is different but couldnt help but smile everytime I saw them.

Family groups were well spaced. Even in the main staging area.
In the lower staging area where my brother likes to park, small groups of riders were keeping their distance from each other and below that, the secret staging area down by the river where I unload was deserted as usual except for one vehicle accessing the pedal bike trail and a small family group that showed up later & brought their little ones and dogs out to shelter in place by the river...

·
Registered
811 Posts
Cool to see you can get out. Here in Ontario we are not suppose to ride the trails till first of May. Gives them a chance to harden up and you don't rut them all up. My ATV club is watching closely to the Covid -19. If the Government imposes more strict rules on Social Distancing they might keep the Trails closed. Have fun for now.
Cryptic..."for now"
Its coming.

Just blew thru the news and the city people are blowing it.
Seems the politicians are getting pissed that people are gathering in parks and other places in large groups.
Its coming believe it.

Yeah, a lot of forest roads are closed every winter for the same reason although miles and miles and miles of them never close.

This area is the chappie ohv area, operated by the blm.
Its a very large area for an ohv park with something for everyone, except I noticed they put barriers up, blocking the small area in the main staging area where the rock crawlers used to love to bring their rigs out and play.
Too bad, was always fun to watch the landcruisers and jeeps do their thing too.

Best use of ohv funds and taxes ever!
Before the blm took over it was just a bunch of rutted up old mining and logging roads and unauthorized mc tracks that sent tons of silt into the sac river every winter.
The blm has done a great job of maintaining the area!

Im lucky to have this area not 20mins from my driveway and a vast area an hour north, east and west to ride that is open all year...for now....

Looking forward to more pics in the future.
Keep this going for sure!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
most of the trails we rode on a couple weeks ago were actually just seasonal back roads. We did hit up some ORV trails in between, but skipped a bunch as will due to the amount of snow on them. The guy who leads all of these rides also rides snowmachines, so he is careful to make sure we don't rip those up.

they set up a spring 'mush ride' at the end of april, and it's typically VERY muddy. Haven't done the ride yet, but the videos of it are pretty amazing. Thinking about doing it this spring, but we'll see what happens. Our governor just issues a stay indoors order an hour ago. Doesn't take affect until midnight, but i'm sitting at work waiting to hear what the MUCH higher ups hand down to us 'peons'

·
Registered
811 Posts
Martial law is looming.

Was impressed how quickly they locked down this entire valley during and shortly after the carr fire, but then I guess that was the whole idea behind the interstate highway system...it never was about commuting for us common citizens.

Hopefully thisll all be over at some point.
Ive watched vids of serious mudding. Pretty cool.
Id have to have another machine built just for it.
I couldnt thrash my edd or hunting quad like that.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
exactly. I love splashing through mud and such, but man some of the stuff i see guys going through blows my mind. Or like the guys who snorkel their ride and submerge the whole machine while it's running!

I like hitting small mud holes and getting dirty, but i also like having my machine do the grunt work when pulling an animal out of the woods lol

·
Registered
811 Posts
Yeah I like using mine to get in where the trucks and sxs's cant go and cut miles off the hike in so I can hike in miles farther once the quad trails end.

I love watching the guys that float their quad across a pond just because its there haha

I get it in mud country and up north when the tundra melts or the beavers build a new dam theres no way around and no other choice so they just go through, but man Id turn around before I did that out here.

I had to look up what "peanut butter" mud was this fall lol
Crazy!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Well, here we go...

Our governor just officially closed all state areas.
More for the beaches, museums etc.
Wont really affect us up here unless the national forest service jumps in too.
President is optomistic so hopefully we wont end up like europe, ever and somebody will find a medicine that works soon so all this crazyness will pass.

Local news got ahold of a video of a local lake, I think everyone with a boat was out last weekend. Typical for this time of year/weather. Funny, news girl says hey you can always take a walk around your neighborhood if you need to get out.
Hahahaaaa
City peoples crack me up.

Thanks for the heads up on the mandatory stay inside order in your state.
Im not one to panic, Ive been avoiding town but I ran down to the small town markets down the road and stocked up yesterday, just in case.
Shelves are emptying fast and lists of what theyre already out of are posted at the front doors.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Yeah us too.
They just showed a vid of a local trailhead at whiskey creek falls and it was packed with people.
Grrrrrrr reporters!

The staging areas at the chappie are way more open than that place was but if the sun comes out again next weekend and they hit that or the boat ramps at shasta theyre going to be closing more than just whiskeytown lake.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
As afar as I know, our ORV trails will remain open .... no contagion on the trails. I hope that is ok
everything i have seen/heard says parks and such are remaining open, but the public gun ranges on state land are closed :(

·
Registered
156 Posts
Are you guys seeing preppers camping in the wilderness where you ride? Out west we are seeing a lot of that. Last weekend my wife and I went for a ride in our UTV along the UT/NV border, in an area that is typically very isolated. It is rare to see anybody else in this area. The first thing we noticed when we left the blacktop was that every area to pull off the dirt road had someone camped there. Farther from blacktop we saw that every ridgeline had a camp set up on it. Then we noticed that these were not people that had come out to camp for the weekend. These people had a "bug out vehicle" loaded with gear, several tarps covering additional supplies, and large plastic water storage tanks. One person had a water tank that had to be 1000 gallons in size. These people planned on staying for a long time, perhaps months, out in the desert. Most of them seemed to be wearing camo, and had weapons visible, but this wasn't for a hunting season. Although there were more people in this area than even on opening day of deer season.

The preppers have left the city, and are planning to survive what they must think is the end of the world.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
haven't had a chance to get out since this got 'more serious'. Here in michigan a lot of people have land. I have a 'bug out plan' but this isn't worthy of that lol. Now if the survival rate was lower, and people in china weren't already recovering and starting to get back to 'normal' then i may be saying otherwise.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts