Can-Am ATV Forum banner

61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Another beautiful ride MI. 130 miles in Manistee National Forest.

Trails were very soft sand. No grooming so very washboard rough. I only had one short puddle 20 feet long) that I had to cross, and as soon as my rear wheels went in, my front wheels dropped and I ended up getting in up to the floor boards. Lol. Never thought it would be that deep.

I’ve never seen so many riders! Two of the parking areas were full. One was overflowing with truck/trailers parked along the side of the road.

I came across a group of about 25 jeeps. Cool to see, but they don’t move fast at all and nobody could really get around them easily in either direction. Who would have thought there would be a traffic jam on the ORV trails?!!!!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
that's awesome you got out. Been talking to my brother who lives in Green Bay. Him and my sister in law bought a 4-seater sxs this past week. I guess ATVs and SxS's are flying off the showroom floor right now due to everyone having free time to ride. He ended up getting the Yamaha X-4 XTR or something like that. I'm interested in the fact that they give their belt's a 10 year warranty! What type of belt do they use, and can i get it in our size? lol

Reactions: Jungleman

·
Registered
2018 outlander 1000 XT, all stock
142 Posts
It’s the Yamaha wet clutch system what makes the belts last so long, best clutch system imo. My 2003 grizzly has that system and I just changed my belt last year just because the belt was old and started to crack

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Another beautiful ride MI. 130 miles in Manistee National Forest.

Trails were very soft sand. No grooming so very washboard rough. I only had one short puddle 20 feet long) that I had to cross, and as soon as my rear wheels went in, my front wheels dropped and I ended up getting in up to the floor boards. Lol. Never thought it would be that deep.

I’ve never seen so many riders! Two of the parking areas were full. One was overflowing with truck/trailers parked along the side of the road.

I came across a group of about 25 jeeps. Cool to see, but they don’t move fast at all and nobody could really get around them easily in either direction. Who would have thought there would be a traffic jam on the ORV trails?!!!!
Thats common at the ohv area here.
We share trails with motorcycles too.

Out in the national forest and the backside of the chappie...not so much.
On any sunday you can have miles and miles all to yourself.

All developed areas are closed until the 15th but they kept the staging areas, trails and the national forests open.

Closed campgrounds and bathrooms dont affect me as long as the roads and trails are open thats all that matters.

Glad you got out!

Reactions: Runner12

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
It’s the Yamaha wet clutch system what makes the belts last so long, best clutch system imo. My 2003 grizzly has that system and I just changed my belt last year just because the belt was old and started to crack
that's good to know. wonder why can-am/brp hasn't gone to that type of system?

·
Registered
563 Posts
that's good to know. wonder why can-am/brp hasn't gone to that type of system?
The wet clutch part won't hold up as well to the power of a can am. Also it adds more things to wear out and more weight. It is a good system for low horsepower machines though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
figured it had to do something with horsepower or torque since his x-4 doesn't have the power my 650 does, so of course i've already been talking crap about beating him in races lol

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
anyone going riding this weekend? we are going camping at a family friends place which is next to state land. Hopefully will get some riding in, and i have a gopro being delivered tomorrow as well. Maybe get some photos or some action videos to show off. It's been raining like crazy here and flood warnings all over, so should be some good mud holes :D

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Cool, I want a gopro.
Never take my camera with video stabilization anymore poor thing.
Cell phone vids are handy but the shakiness sucks.
Cant wait to see the test vids/pics.

Have fun be safe.

Been raining like crazy here too.
Flash flood warnings.
Tapering off back to golden sunshine.
I want to ride but the fish are calling my name.
The creeks should be in shape and with the campgrounds closed still theres not a lot of competition.
Got to take advantage of that!
I usually avoid holiday weekends since its my back yard but I'll probably go get some more fresh trout.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
trout fishing on a good stream with no one else around sounds amazing!

when i was around 10 we went to the boundary waters on Minnesota. No motors allowed for MILES. Canoe in, canoe out. Freeze dried food and water purifiers for drinking/cooking. Tent camping and hanging your food bags up in the trees at night so the bears wouldn't eat it while you were sleeping.

We had a stringer of a couple bass and a good sized pike that we left in the water over night to cook in the morning, and woke up to only finding a piece of the pike's head. We learned our lesson that morning.. Cut them up and eat them right then and there lol.

Hoping i get some time to play around with the gopro before we leave. Going to try and mount it to my helmet in hopes that makes things 'more stable' versus being on my machine. We'll see lol

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I want to ride bad.
Hard to pass up fresh fish...

Reactions: swobovike

·
Registered
148 Posts
Fishing, riding. Hard to choose

I’m also worried about the crowds this weekend. It’s been crazy busy on the trails lately and with nice weather this weekend the trails will be packed.

That said, I’m going to ride out of St Helen this Friday.

We had two dams break south of that area and a couple towns got flooded. Luckily no injuries and I hope the folks there are managing well.

the other interesting thing in the region is that our Gov has all bars in central and lower Michigan closed (Michigan hotspots), but allowed bars in parts of the state In the North (where cases are low to non existent) to open. I bet I75 is packed with people headed To the bars and the people up north are panicking!

My understanding is the trail systems there are all good.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Fishing, riding. Hard to choose

I’m also worried about the crowds this weekend. It’s been crazy busy on the trails lately and with nice weather this weekend the trails will be packed.

That said, I’m going to ride out of St Helen this Friday.

We had two dams break south of that area and a couple towns got flooded. Luckily no injuries and I hope the folks there are managing well.

the other interesting thing in the region is that our Gov has all bars in central and lower Michigan closed (Michigan hotspots), but allowed bars in parts of the state In the North (where cases are low to non existent) to open. I bet I75 is packed with people headed To the bars and the people up north are panicking!

My understanding is the trail systems there are all good.
yeah i heard about those dam's letting go. Hit up a couple friends that are over in that area and thankfully they weren't in the wake of the wall of water. it's crazy seeing the aftermath of what was once a lake. Yeah she opened up north, which ironically is where her family has a vacation home..

we wont be going that far north, trying to avoid the crazies. Where i will be riding will be mostly state land with some logging trails, and a couple ATV trails mixed in. Should be interesting, normally very minimal traffic where i go so we'll see

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Dang thats crazy!
Hope everyones ok
Flooding is no joke. Pretty freaky if youve ever been in one.

Hope everyones ok there.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hopefully leave the bow at home Monday and get OUT and RIDE !!!! I Just wish it was on my new one!! Maybe next time...... seams like I’ve been saying that a lot lol. Come on BRP open the factories back up!!!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Dang thats crazy!
Hope everyones ok
Flooding is no joke. Pretty freaky if youve ever been in one.

Hope everyones ok there.
if you haven't, check out the videos/photos of midland michigan right now. should be all over the news. two dams busted and flooded the town under 9' of water. there was a lake that was formed due to the river being damed, and it is basically gone now it's crazy

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Yeah I watched the vids this morning. Super scary.

Oroville dam is just south of me.
My little brother lives in chico and my best friends mom.
Close call there.

We flooded here at the house last year.
Not a flash flood, just torrential downpours overflowed the creek behind the house.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
dang! the main issue now is that Dow chemical had retention ponds to store chemicals outside of the building, and they are now claiming that the flood waters got into those ponds... should start seeing 3 eyed fish soon

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Yeah that dam isnt above me, just a seasonal creek that floods sometimes, twice since Ive been here.
First time some guys toy hauler type trailer washed up against the bridge downstream from me.

That sucks.
Old mines and papermill chemical up the sacramento river here, we aready have mutant polywogs in the backwaters.
The kids used to catch them when they were little.

61 - 80 of 118 Posts