Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Renegade 850
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought this 2021 850 renegade about a couple weeks ago.
It has 160km, and just about 13-16 hours, I can't remember off the top of my head.
There's this ticking sound coming from right about where my right foot would be, beside the motor.
It gets faster during acceleration, does it in all gears including neutral.
What's your thoughts before I start digging into the valves.

Thanks

·
Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
5,958 Posts
Welcome to the site, surely you have some warranty left on the thing, no?

I wouldn't be in any hurry to go tearing into a motor still under warranty, jus sayin'....

·
Super Moderator
2016 Outlander Max XT 650
1,310 Posts
Could it be that the valves need adjustment on the front cylinder? I find that hard to believe with 16 hours on it but it's a possibility.

·
Registered
2021 Renegade 850
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought the machine used, unfortunately warranty is not an option

·
Registered
2021 Renegade 850
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might take the belt cover off and check the primary, apparently the bolt on the clutch makes a similar noise.

·
Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
5,958 Posts
Clutches are on the lefthand side, if the ticking is on the right, that shouldn't be clutches.

As suggested above, check your valves, it's a pretty common maintenance item to address on a new machine after a few hours of runtime

·
Registered
2021 Renegade 850
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apologies if I was wrong, the machine was originally bought in July. I thought can am’s factory warranty was only for 6 months.

·
Registered
2021 Renegade 850
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
questions about adjusting the valves.
Should this be done ASAP? Or is it fine to ride it?
I had to do the valves on my brute force 750 before I sold it, would it be similar if not the same to that? Or should I do some research before diving in.

Thanks again for all the help

·
Registered
2018 can-am outlander XT 650 (abs) with tuneup mod's
117 Posts
Apologies if I was wrong, the machine was originally bought in July. I thought can am’s factory warranty was only for 6 months.
Okay... so there is only 6 month warranty... Any clue has previous owner has any problems? If you send me vin code (pm) i can try look from brp bossweb, have there be case from that atv... ;) We have 2 year warranty for all atv/utv...

·
Super Moderator
2016 Outlander Max XT 650
1,310 Posts
questions about adjusting the valves.
Should this be done ASAP? Or is it fine to ride it?
I had to do the valves on my brute force 750 before I sold it, would it be similar if not the same to that? Or should I do some research before diving in.

Thanks again for all the help

Reactions: Dirty Red Neck

·
Registered
2021 Renegade 850
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Og owner claimed no problems or issues, per usual. The machine is brand new so I doubt there is any actual mechanical problems, I hope. But how does that vin thing work? I don’t think it would hurt just to check the machines history, I could pm you when I get back from work

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have an 850 Renegade also. I heard mine ticking when I bought it but I just ignored it and now it's not a problem. BUT, I also ride a 350 KTM so I'm used to a noisy engine :)

·
Registered
2021 Renegade 850
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have an 850 Renegade also. I heard mine ticking when I bought it but I just ignored it and now it's not a problem. BUT, I also ride a 350 KTM so I'm used to a noisy engine :)
It seems like the noise has gotten a lot less noticeable and loud, I can only hear it while the machine is in gear and moving. I think It must just be a clutch thing now

1 - 15 of 15 Posts