Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought another non-running "basket case" of an outty, lol.

Caught an ad on bookface, guy selling 2 bikes for practically the price of one. Knowing I've got another daughter getting close to drivers license and needing wheels, I'd rather try and flip something for that money, than spend my own. I think it's a sound approach, lol, in my mind anyway.

So, I got lucky, timing n all, hitched up the trailer and headed out, little over an hour away. The big ticket item is a G2 450, so an L. Guy said it's a 2012, which I knew to be wrong, but I wasn't gonna voluntarily educate him :p for risk of losing the killer deal. What appears to have happened, some rats got up into the wiring behind the ignition switch and chewed off the insulation. Next time he turns the key, smokes the entire pigtail, melts the plug, etc., nasty electrical mess.

But the bike looks in good condition otherwise, if a little neglected. Oil level is good and clean, so we shake hands exchange the money and load 'em up. I pull over a few miles up the road just to check my load, and wipe off the VIN label on the frame rail. Score! Damn thing's a '17!

I was thinking it was at least a '15, first year for 'em, but I'll take this, too. Spent a little time earlier today with the pressure washer just blowing off all the funk n crud from sitting under his lean-to. Little thing cleaned up alright if I do say so myself:

I took the front rack off for the ride home since it was loose from him attempting to chase/repair the wiring, but I've got it. Most of the plastics are just kinda setting on there, I may have to pull 'em down further to fix up the harness issue.

But I'm super psyched about the score. I'm gonna try to sell the little Polaris in the background, for what I spent on 'em both, that'd be awesome. My son's already "laid claim" to this one and wants to sell his fourtrax :rolleyes::ROFLMAO: I dunno, I'm debating.... I mean this thing's just a few years old, IRS.... I dunno we'll see.

Now to figure out what I can do about the ignition switch pigtail. (y)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Nice find. Did you ever get the 650 up to snuff? Also let us know what you think of the 450 vs your old 400.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the 650 has been doing great, I was practicing wheelying up at the farm a couple/few weekends ago :p

I'll no doubt find myself putting in some seat time on the new thing eventually, tho I'm not sure how fair a comparison it might be.....the 400 had 28" OG 'laws on it almost from day one, plus max chassis, it wasn't a digging screamer, it did fine for what I asked it to. I'm expecting the 450 to be a lot snappier (less weight/rotating mass, EFI, more HP, etc.) but so far the news on that ignition switch pigtail isn't good, looks like I gotta get the whole harness to get it. Just a cool $700 something dollars :eek::eek: so I'm certainly searching for part-outs or other options.

Reactions: Jungleman

·
Premium Member
2020 Can Am Outlander XMR 1000r Max
186 Posts
Bought another non-running "basket case" of an outty, lol.

Caught an ad on bookface, guy selling 2 bikes for practically the price of one. Knowing I've got another daughter getting close to drivers license and needing wheels, I'd rather try and flip something for that money, than spend my own. I think it's a sound approach, lol, in my mind anyway.

So, I got lucky, timing n all, hitched up the trailer and headed out, little over an hour away. The big ticket item is a G2 450, so an L. Guy said it's a 2012, which I knew to be wrong, but I wasn't gonna voluntarily educate him :p for risk of losing the killer deal. What appears to have happened, some rats got up into the wiring behind the ignition switch and chewed off the insulation. Next time he turns the key, smokes the entire pigtail, melts the plug, etc., nasty electrical mess.

But the bike looks in good condition otherwise, if a little neglected. Oil level is good and clean, so we shake hands exchange the money and load 'em up. I pull over a few miles up the road just to check my load, and wipe off the VIN label on the frame rail. Score! Damn thing's a '17!

View attachment 98693

I was thinking it was at least a '15, first year for 'em, but I'll take this, too. Spent a little time earlier today with the pressure washer just blowing off all the funk n crud from sitting under his lean-to. Little thing cleaned up alright if I do say so myself:

View attachment 98694

I took the front rack off for the ride home since it was loose from him attempting to chase/repair the wiring, but I've got it. Most of the plastics are just kinda setting on there, I may have to pull 'em down further to fix up the harness issue.

But I'm super psyched about the score. I'm gonna try to sell the little Polaris in the background, for what I spent on 'em both, that'd be awesome. My son's already "laid claim" to this one and wants to sell his fourtrax :rolleyes::ROFLMAO: I dunno, I'm debating.... I mean this thing's just a few years old, IRS.... I dunno we'll see.

View attachment 98695

Now to figure out what I can do about the ignition switch pigtail. (y)
That's a hell of a great find! Better get a lotto ticket while the luck is still good!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Yes nice!

I love the way you think.
Sure pays to know what youre looking at and be familiar with the models (y)

Great job on how you handled the deal as well.
Respect!

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes nice!

I love the way you think.
Sure pays to know what youre looking at and be familiar with the models (y)

Great job on how you handled the deal as well.
Respect!
It has been refreshingly reassuring, the last two Can-Am deals I've made. We all would readily accept, y'know, "No holds, FCFS", etc., and especially moreso when you're talking to strangers over bookface. But I pride myself on being as genuine and reliable as I can be, and it's been nice to deal with sellers that are that same way. That 650, I guess I was the first one to express interest in it, just being first to the buzzer, yknow? And his wife "held" it, until me and her husband's schedule allowed for us to get together and seal the deal, which took, what, over a week? That bike shoulda sold in hours. Same thing with this little 450, it woulda gone in hours, prolly, but I was, again, I guess, first to express real interest in it (and sending pictures of the money never hurts), so the ole boy, after a window shopper or two wasted his time, came back to me said "they're yours, come get 'em when you can" - ended up being the next day? or 2? I forget......

Anyway, maybe that's just another plus to calling the south home, lol, most of us redneck coonasses still stubbornly try to stick to our word, even when we know the other party may not

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I like it.
Same here in north cal.

Being first always helps too. And communication is always nice.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Replacement wiring harness arrived friday, courtesy of Jared, the Canampartsguy. I couldn't rebuild the ignition switch pigtail and I didn't have the plug anyway, so luckily came across his auction on ebay from a new partout, half the price of a new one, pulled the trigger.

Saturday afternoon I stepped out into hell and got to work on it. It was a good bit of harness/wiring, had to remove the front fender assy/headlight pod, and the starter solenoid/battery "basket", with assorted dashboard/cluster/side panels, yknow, cut a ton of zip ties, but other than that, not terribly difficult a task. The harness ran from the ECM and keyswitch, included the speedo plug of course, the headlights, back around the RH side of the engine, a ground or two, the solenoid wiring, fuel pump plug, and taillight, so yeah, a good bit of stuff, but simple enough.

Had the battery on charge the whole time, once it was the last thing I needed, went ahead and cycled the key on for the first time, heard the fuel pump power up, saw the cluster come to life(745mi/47hrs), over half a tank of gas, hit the start button, and it struggled just a split second before burping to life. The gas was stale/stagnant, but it smoothed out and settled into idle after a few seconds.

So it's ready to sell! I've let the kids run it around the 'hood this weekend, just burning some bad gas and making sure its good to go. I've run it a bit myself, no error codes anywhere, fan pops on like it should, little thing gets kinda warm on my left calf :rolleyes: but as for any kind of "comparison" to my old 400, it's really not a fair comparison, honestly. It'll get up to 40 in a hurry, which gets some finger wagging from the neighbors, lol. Being EFI, it pops off almost before I can take my finger off the starter button. The engine braking is super aggressive on it, even compared to my 650, tho I think that ones got a clutch kit in it, and it is super twitchy, handling-wise, it could definitely benefit from better tires and wheel spacers, but that's not my problem, lol.

I wish I could keep it for my little boy, but I expect to get three times what I could get for his bike, and I've got another driver coming soon, so it's gotta go. Oh! sold the little Polaris earlier in the week, so this was a "successful" risk. Now to try and do it again......and not get burned, lol

Reactions: Jungleman
1 - 11 of 11 Posts