Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says I'm an idiot .im one of them guys that don't think befor a big water hole and we'll guess what .swamped a brandnew 1000xtp...pretty much went threw the hole .found out there was no bottom and the Canam turned into a seadoo and sunk ..so now for my questions

She is going in for the 10 hour service .do i take it in swamped and they will still cover my warranty ?
Should I drain in first and then take it in ?

·
Registered
666 Posts
They won't cover anything for swamping... That's not a manufacturer defect. Lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I no that .just wondering if I should take it in swamped and get the 10 hour service done
Or clean it out and then get 10 hour service ?

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
Clean it up the best you can. Change oil 10 times if thats what it takes. Engine, rear, front, gearbox, drain fuel,etc. If they know you swamped it I think your warranty will expire pronto........

·
Registered
686 Posts
Go buy some cheap oil and flush anything that took on water (diffs, gear box, engine) repeatedly until there is no milky color. Then put the correct oil in for the last go around. Clean or replace the air filter and make sure the air box is spotless. If they see any mud INSIDE the air filter box or caked on the air filter your toast. Make sure the entire machine is clean appearance wise. If youve got mud caked all over the fuse box or battery or up under the handlebars for example, it will be another dead give away that the machine has been abused. Warranties only cover manufacturers defects and any type of neglect will void it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Bad situation, hope you can get the bike back to a reliable state, good luck, sucks that it was so new.

·
Registered
218 Posts
You need to get the water out of it ASAP. Don't forget the gearbox and front/rear diffs. Everything that has a breather line running up to the snorkels now has water in it. I hope you don't have dirt and mud in the engine, not good.

The only thing that saved me was that the water was clean, no grit or mud at all. Don't even crank the engine until you have at least one oil change. Don't forget to change the oil filter.

Edit---
I changed the oil 5 times, gearbox 4, front diff 6 times, and rear diff 4 times. After I got the engine oil clear, I changed the diff, drove it for about a minute around the yard to stir the fresh oil around the gearbox and diffs. Then, I dumped the great box and diffs again. I repeated that process until the gear oil ran clear. For me, the front diff was more of a challenge than the rear. It had more water in it. You're situation may vary from that, there is no hard-set rule as to how many oil flushes it will take. I filled a 5 gallon bucket with engine and gear oil
By the time I was done. All synthetic too. Must have cost me 200 bucks! Personally, I didn't want to run cheap gear oil then synthetic. I know a lot of guys say that's ok, it was just my personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i drained the oil and took the plugs out as quick as i could and dropped it off at my mechanic thank fuck it wasn't water locked .. the bike is due for its first 10 hour service.. will my warranty be voided if i get my mechanic to do it? no way i want to give me stupid dealers 400$ for some fluids. i have been told that valve adjustment is not necessary.. i trust my mechanic and he is very good at what he does.. really no way to tell if there is sand and shit in my motor without breaking it down it was swamped in a big freshwater hole.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have swamped several bikes. the new engine seems to hold out water better then the older ones. I have had to change the oil as many as 6 times till it comes out clean. My BF 750 went 4000km after its swamping and still run like new when I sold it. I wouldn't be too concerned it you got the water out quick and didn't drive it with the water in there.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you're in fresh water you're good. The fact that it wasn't hydro-locked is also a good sign. Honestly, you probably could have taken this one as a DIY. As long as he knows to change the gearbox AND diffs as well as the engine oil you'll be fine.

When Mine got swamped, I pulled the dipstick, grey-goo oil/water nastiness freak'n gushed out of the engine. It was a mess. Totally hydro-locked and toasted on the trail. I've ridden a couple hundred miles since then without issue.

Best of luck. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
517 Posts
the guys telling you not to inform your dealer about the swamp are 100 percent correct. if you give them a chance to place blame down the road on the swamp then why wouldn't they?
also, if it was me i'd do all the fluid changes myself after the swamp. as convenient as it is to have a mechanic buddy these things aren't that difficult to do this stuff on and the reality is you can stand to learn a lot about your machine.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Reasons like this are probably partly to blame when can am denies warranty on stuff that should be covered and they lie like the rest of the customers to get out of taking responsibility for their actions.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Reasons like this are probably partly to blame when can am denies warranty on stuff that should be covered and they lie like the rest of the customers to get out of taking responsibility for their actions.

I agree... I could imagine the amount of people sticking it to can am for their stupid mistakes instead of fessing up to them.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I agree as well, most broken shit, that is hard to believe, is usually,rider error.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Number one spot dealers look at for swamping machines.......... The seat , make sure the seat is clean inside and out and bone dry! Dead giveaway

1 - 15 of 15 Posts