Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a grand old time saturday, out riding at a local mud park with some friends. First time my bike threw me, lol, hell, might be the first time I've ever been ejected, come to think of it......but that's not the "bad news", this was just funny/unexpected. I was riding 3rd in line and followed the pack up to a particularly tricky looking crossing. When they came to a stop in front of me and surveyed the possible paths, decided to back up and try another one. No problem, grab reverse and start easing back, seeing as how I had just traversed this terrain, I wasn't expecting the bike to suddenly lay on its side and dump me and the contents of my cooler all over the ground.... :LOL: I was half laughing half in shock "wth just happened?!?" bike's just idling there, chortling at me. Collect myself and my buds all grabbed it at the same time and dumped it back on all 4, no problems, aside from just being a heavy ass bike, lol

Coulda been a foreshadowing of events to come......

Later in the day, we pickup some more friends and go looking for one of "the usual" water holes that are good for rinsing off the heavy build-up, and seeing as how I had just ran through this area not two weeks ago (there's video of that, lol), declared it was no threat, and proceed to creep on along the deep path. The first 3/4 of the little "trough" was just as I remembered, and I popped up over the little speed bump just before the last "little" hole that signified the end of the run........ and shit went south, pretty quick.....

Somebody or bodys had decided to excavate this one particular little hole out by quite a few more feet :mad: and I was NOT expecting it. The first clue was when I stopped making any forward progress at all, as the bike was practically buoyant with the tires struggling to touch the bottom. But it's a heavy-ass bike, and slowly started slipping lower and lower in the water, especially toward the LF corner. I can't let the front go under, that's where the stealth snorkels are, so I'm leaning off the back right corner as hard as I can while trying to push with my leg off what bank I could touch, and it's just not working. The throttle just isn't "popping up" the front end like I'd otherwise expect it to, and I'm in full-on "oh shit!" mode, with my buds off in the distance suddenly aware of the trouble I'm in, come slogging through the muck as quick as they can to assist me. Thought I'd dodged a bullet, as I'm managing to keep the front end just barely up above the snorkels as they're almost to me.

And then the bike died.....

I can't reach the start button without letting the front end go under, I'm f*cked. It sat, over rack-deep, in that nasty mess for a good few minutes while we fought and muscled to try and get it up and out of that pit...... buddy's bike pulled it up and out finally, got it on some terra firma, and my dumbass still inebriated but shocked sober yet still confused self thought the plug wires had just gotten wet, and a few minutes of engine heat would/should cook 'em dry. Not at all considering how much muddy sandy water my exhaust had taken on, I hit the start button to try and re-fire it, without success. Turns over won't run. Still not quite fully comprehending what just happened, I wait a few more minutes and try again, same result, engine turns over, won't run. It's getting dark at this point so I reluctantly accept the tow back to the truck courtesy of my buddy's poolaris :p thankfully it was dark so not many saw the travesty, lol.

Yesterday morning as the stupor has worn off and the heat is sweating some sobriety into me, I face the music and pull the dipstick......damnit..... yeah it's got that H2Ow30 in it.......and I rolled the motor over a handful of times, just what rings and bearings need......knowing I'd probably be pulling the engine, I spent an extra few minutes really cleaning it all off good, pulled panels, floorboards, shields, etc, really getting in there behind some places that might not otherwise. Checked the airbox- dry, checked the snorkel- dry. Why'd it kill, then? My buddy's had reminded me I'd been deeper than that a few times previously that day. I don't know, other than perhaps the gas cap allowed some yucky water in? Guessing that issue's gonna be secondary, heh, to dealing with the engine internals.

So now I'm contemplating how to recover from this- maybe find a partout bike and just swap motors? Or send mine to MrRpm? Or tear it down and attempt to rebuild it myself? :eek: BBK? For nothing more than just the experience, I'll try to flush the crankcase out and get it running again- it's either going to knock and smoke, or it won't. Either way I'm right back where I started, and I'm only out a few bucks in diesel and some oil/filters. Pics to come

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow that's bad's luck :/ sorry to hear.

[...] came to a stop in front of me and surveyed the possible paths, decided to back up and try another one. No problem, grab reverse and start easing back, seeing as how I had just traversed this terrain, I wasn't expecting the bike to suddenly lay on its side and dump me and the contents of my cooler all over the ground.... :LOL: I was half laughing half in shock "wth just happened?!?" bike's just idling there, chortling at me.
This sounds like me 7 days prior to Saturday; surveyed a possible path down in a swamp, decided to try a different route. Turned around right at the swamp and tried a different route that led to an even worse path (about a 20' drop over a 10' foot run into the drink). Turned around, went back to do another survey at the first route. Stopped, had a beer and decided neither route was going to work. Put the bike in reverse, backed up 1 foot...and...the outtie decided it was time for a nap at 3:30am.

Doesn't look like much, but took over 90 minutes to try to get it upright (winch kit and beer was in the box and couldn't get the lid on the box open enough to get things out). Fortunately it rolled on the opposite side as the stihl, I was expecting some oil to have leaked into the heads, but fired right up and ran like it was new after we got it upright.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to jab ole poolaris a little bit, it's a new bike, 17? 18? year model, idk, and he joined us later in the day, because that morning when he went to fire it up/load it up, it had no electrical power at all :LOL: took him a few hours to chase wiring and check relays n all before figuring it out. He's not happy with it, kept getting high-centered on things me n the brute cleared. They all have their flaws/good points, I don't get too hung up on being a "brand fanboy"

Reactions: Jungleman

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don’t know what you read @Jungleman , but I read that he was drinking and chose to not drive anymore; being towed by a Polaris in these circumstances sounds like the responsible thing to do...
lmao oh uh-uh.... if my bike woulda fired, hell I'da prolly kept right on riding into the night, swerving and cross-eyed or not :p:p:p

I only got towed back cause it wouldn't re-start. Full disclosure :ROFLMAO:

disclaimer I'm being quite a bit facetious, any "buzz" I had been previously enjoying was long gone by the time we got back to the trucks and all loaded up and showered off and "behind the wheel" for the drive home

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh!

Spent a few minutes after work yesterday, starting on the "de-swamping" procedure. Swung through wally world and grabbed a couple jugs of MMO, couple gallons of the cheapest oil they had, some FI cleaner for giggles, and I've got a 4-pack of oil filters inbound. Think I'm around $40 in materials so far, so no big loss if unsuccessful. Drained the oil, yuck, but not the worst I've ever seen, so that's some "sunshine pumping" for me. Took out the rear spark plug that was easily accessible, looked perfectly normal, as you'd expect it to, in other words, no signs that some nesquik had back-flowed up the exhaust and poured down the valves.

Went to remove the front spark plug........wtf, BRP.......so pulled the exhaust heat shields in that area all off and discovered some more debris I'd just as soon blow/pressure wash off and out of the area before removing that front plug, so that's where I'll pick up the trail today after work. Cracked the gas cap to dump that FI cleaner in and got a reassuring hisssssssss, so I can't suspect it allowed water into the tank, causing the bike to die.

Still scratching my head over that development, but again, secondary to flushing to motor out, at this point.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Yeah these things are solid....heavy... sheesh. Glad to hear you escaped without fuss (y)
Man you aint kidding.
I tried to get those 3 chp's to help me get mine back on all fours, I already had it up sideways from upside down turtle mode and was rocking it alllllmost there when they showed up.
Guess they didnt want to get their uniforms dirty?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I cant talk, got towed in by an artic cat when my gas tank 90 grommet failed.

Wow that's bad's luck :/ sorry to hear.

This sounds like me 7 days prior to Saturday; surveyed a possible path down in a swamp, decided to try a different route. Turned around right at the swamp and tried a different route that led to an even worse path (about a 20' drop over a 10' foot run into the drink). Turned around, went back to do another survey at the first route. Stopped, had a beer and decided neither route was going to work. Put the bike in reverse, backed up 1 foot...and...the outtie decided it was time for a nap at 3:30am.

View attachment 99189

View attachment 99190 View attachment 99191

Doesn't look like much, but took over 90 minutes to try to get it upright (winch kit and beer was in the box and couldn't get the lid on the box open enough to get things out). Fortunately it rolled on the opposite side as the stihl, I was expecting some oil to have leaked into the heads, but fired right up and ran like it was new after we got it upright.

The worst I ever wrecked my kodiak was backing up on a hill.
Very slowly.
Doesnt take much to dump these things over in reverse.

Glad to hear youre making progress bomb.
Srry bout the whole swampin it thing.
Thats just a ton of not fun work.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Put the drain plug back in yesterday evening, filled up the crankcase with a 50/50 mix of MMO and cheapo walmart 5/30, then pushed it out of the garage and took the pressure washer after all the area that was revealed upon removal of the exhaust heat shields to attempt to get to the front cylinder spark plug......still not sure how that's accomplished.....wasn't there a recent thread somewhere on here about that?.......

And that was about it for last nights activities, didn't want to take the plugs out with all that water in the area, but seeing as how it's in the triple digits here lately, should be good and dry this evening, I'll pour more MMO down the spark plug holes and hope it washes any residual grit down out of the cylinders, let that sit for a day or so before attempting to turn it over. Should be right about the time my oil filters get here, so that will work.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Picture time! In no particular chronological order.....

Y'all remember this spot from the video a couple weeks ago? :

That's the one that got me. Who'da thunk it? I sure wasn't

Checking the airbox and snorkels, no issues here:

But the crankcase tells a different story :

Thankfully, it's not overfilled, so it wasn't just drowned in the muck, but it was contaminated pretty good (or bad, however you want to look at it) Drained into the pan:

Damnit......

Well anyway, finally got smart and pulled the RF inner fender liner out, after cussing and throwing some things trying to get at that front spark plug. Duh, there it is! I hardly had to put any force on the ratchet at all, to loosen it, which was somewhat alarming......but then when I saw this, I knew that plug hasn't been tight in that head for awhile :

Y'all.... what are people out there doing? You can't snug a spark plug down? How do you get 15/16ths of the way there, and then just go "ok, that's good enough" ? I don't get it.....

Anyway, I poured a buncha MMO in both bores, and will let it "work it's magic" overnight. My filters should be here tomorrow, so I'll change one and spin it over a little, then drain the crankcase and change the filter again, and repeat, and repeat, and repeat....

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had a neighbor show up today to show off his new to him 2017 Polaris Ranger. Three tires were 4lbs and the 4th was almost 10lbs. He had spent the morning polishing it, nothing more. So I started going thru the machine, and he seemed to be getting a bit upset when I found the engine was nearly or completely empty of engine oil, i.e. nothing showing on the dip stick, and the coolant reservoir was empty also. I don't know for sure, but I think he went home to call the previous owner to cuss him out. Had I not check, I'm sure the neighbor would have blow the engine riding it with full trust he bought a fully ready to ride machine. I kinda expect a 6 pack to be dropped off sometime tomorrow.

Loose spark plug, and more I wouldn't be at all surprised.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm mostly with ya, but I'm also gonna lay some of the blame at your neighbors feet, here. Almost the first thing I do, if I'm contemplating an internal combustion engine purchase, is pull the oil dipstick, and then take a look at the coolant overflow jug. I mean those are just the minimums I check off the list, that will tell me whether or not I'm proceeding any further.

About the only system left on this bike that may hold a surprise for me, is the belt box, and so far it's behaving as expected, so I haven't popped the cover yet. I've had the rear drive system apart, done all wheel bearings, CV axles, brakes, serviced the entire bike, incl. differentials/gearbox, found a loose nut in the steering and greased all the suspension components, had the pod all apart to replace the cluster, so I've seen all the stealth snorkels, and so on.

I can't imagine grabbing an unknown machine and firing it up and riding off, without at least just basically checking a few things first. That's a recipe for a long walk back to the truck, lol

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm mostly with ya, but I'm also gonna lay some of the blame at your neighbors feet, here. Almost the first thing I do, if I'm contemplating an internal combustion engine purchase, is pull the oil dipstick, and then take a look at the coolant overflow jug. I mean those are just the minimums I check off the list, that will tell me whether or not I'm proceeding any further.

About the only system left on this bike that may hold a surprise for me, is the belt box, and so far it's behaving as expected, so I haven't popped the cover yet. I've had the rear drive system apart, done all wheel bearings, CV axles, brakes, serviced the entire bike, incl. differentials/gearbox, found a loose nut in the steering and greased all the suspension components, had the pod all apart to replace the cluster, so I've seen all the stealth snorkels, and so on.

I can't imagine grabbing an unknown machine and firing it up and riding off, without at least just basically checking a few things first. That's a recipe for a long walk back to the truck, lol
Me too. I go a step further and check the basics on new from the dealer. Once money changes hands, the machine is mine as well as the responsibility.

This neighbor of mine is the nicest guy and a great help with projects. He let me use his wood stove heated garage this past January, and helped, to in install the winch and the plow on my CanAm. I have learned that anything mechanical, he needs a bit of guidance. He was all thumbs when it came to chainsaws, leery of doing anything but stopping and starting the saw and filling it with gas mix and bar oil. Now he can sharpen a chain reasonably well and do other basic maintenance items just fine. I'm still grooming him to cut firewood with me in the forest. Still a bit leery but I am wearing him down. (y)

1 - 20 of 80 Posts