Can-Am ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'll preach it till I die : there's NOTHING WRONG with being ignorant- that merely means that you don't know, that you haven't had the opportunity/occasion to experience/learn (whatever it is). I've been handling the mechanical side of things....sheesh, since I was 5? 6? And it's so second nature to me/common knowledge, that I'm often guilty of just assuming everyone knows the basics. That's not the case at all, lol.

Reactions: Jungleman

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I guess thats the problem with hard to get at stuff like that plug, a lot of guys wont make the effort and call it good enough fuk it.
Good to go.
Wish I had a nickel for everytime Ive heard that. Even from professionals.
And it wasnt.

Dudes mom stopped by the other night, lives up in the mtns but came to town to do some shopping.
She was concerned her nissan wasnt running right and wasnt sure if she should risk the trip up home so I checked it out. Everything looked good except she had cleaned the k&n but didnt know to re-oil it and lives on a dirt road so I cleaned the maf sensor and throttle body and showed her what to do on the filter oiling after she got home and cleaned it again.
Good to go.

And man, that pic!
You guys are crazy haha
We would find a way around that before I got a can am...;)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Wish you all could come ride in the upcoming weeks.
You'd love it except no mud sorry, just wide open dirt roads and trails for days.

I kind of miss the big camp days with pop and kids and womens and trucks and motorcycles and quads and non hunters tellin me stories of bears and big and small bucks they saw.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
And wrenchin on stuff in camp.
Not sure I'll have much of that goin on this year unless something drastic happens (y)

Or bomb shows up and decides to ford the trinity river without walking it first :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Sorry to hear this amigo , sure not trying to preach or nothin' but I have been stone sober for ( going on ) 11 years .
They sure don't mix no matter how you cut it up .
Glad to hear that's all that happened.
You can replace your bike , people are irreplaceable!

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks B, this is "nothing", in the grand scheme, I just get slow/bored at work, occasionally, and start typing :p and threads like this, unfold.

Truth be told, I don't drink near as much as my kids make me, lol, it's purely something I do recreationally, but it's good to hear of your victory (y)

Reactions: Bonzo

·
Registered
615 Posts
You have probably already thought of this but from the sounds of it the water didn't kill your bike (considering air box was dry). I assume you lost spark or fuel pressure right as this was happening and your bike died, letting water into exhaust then crankcase.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hats off to my oil filter, it was filtering it's heart out:

Stopped off at local Indy and picked up a couple NGK's with every intention of firing it up tonight, but more on that later.

After pulling the filter out and wiping all that crap outta there, I slowly bumped the starter, didn't want MMO shooting all over the place out of the plug holes. Got clean oil almost immediately out of the oil filter housing, reassuring development there (y) After the threat of MMO spraying everywhere was gone, I let the starter eat for just a few seconds, got some real good clean flow out of the filter housing there. Drained what was left and refilled with fresh/clean oil and put the new filter in. Ran the new NGK's in (made sure the front plug was actually tight this time), and dabbed just a little dielectric on the boots, clicked 'em home.

Figured wth, it's as good a time as any, let's see what it sounds like. Turned the key, familiar fuel pump priming noise, cluster lights up, no check engine lights or anything, hit the start button, and other than the different tone a motor with compression makes, as opposed to one say, with the plugs removed, it sounded just like it did those minutes earlier while I was rolling it over moving fluids around.

That's to say- it wouldn't fire off, still.

This is where I start to get the whole "raised eyebrow" look. Just like the other night on the trail, turns over great, won't start. I go back to the minutes earlier: while I was letting the oil pump go, I could hear the plug wires arcing, so I'm reasonably certain it's sparking its ass off. I could very clearly smell the unburnt fuel from the open spark plug holes, and the fuel pump is powering up/making all the noises I'm accustomed to, so I'm reasonably certain it's got fuel. No check engine light, no error messages on the display. I check all the fuses and swap the fuel pump relay for the main relay, no difference. Put my hand over the muffler and the compression is almost pushing my hand off it, confirming how the engine sounds. But it won't even pop, doesn't matter if I barely crack the throttle or hold it all the way open.

Whatever random event that caused it to die in that hole the other day, is still afflicting it. Experience here tells me to confirm the fuel system pressure, so that's my next task. Having never done it before tho, lol, I don't know if the kit my buddy has will work or not. Well I'll be able to speak with first-hand knowledge on that soon enough :cool:

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You have probably already thought of this but from the sounds of it the water didn't kill your bike (considering air box was dry). I assume you lost spark or fuel pressure right as this was happening and your bike died, letting water into exhaust then crankcase.

I was at first thinking, y'know, wet plugs, but yeah, the more time passes, more I think you're right. Wouldn't misfiring coil(s) give a code, tho?

·
Registered
615 Posts
No I don't believe it will on these. I would get a spark tester and check for spark and go ahead and drain fuel. I have seen these sink and not want to run afterwards. I had same thoughts as you. You hear air hiss out so nothing should have got in. I pull the fuel line as it is easy to get to and start draining fuel and sure enough it is white colored. Drain the fuel it runs much better but still dies randomly after getting warmed up. So I order fuel pump rebuild kit so I can replace pump. Well when I get the pump out I look in the tank and sure enough there is still a small pool of water at the bottom. After draining that and the small pool of water the thing runs like a champ again. Im almost betting you have water im your fuel.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Also go through all connectors and make sure water didn't get in em. I had water in a couple of connectors but had no codes.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yeah, more I think on it, it's got a better chance of being something that affects both cylinders (fuel quality or quantity), than something that has half the chance of doubly failing at the same time- what are the chances BOTH coils went out, y'know?

I've also read the WIF stories, yeah, I could get onboard with that. That'll be my project for the evening/weekend, then (y)

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Also too bad we aren’t neighbours. I’m living in a sea of uninteresting people doing uninteresting thing not in their shops / garages. 🤢🤮
lol, well it ain't gonna fix itself, y'know? truth be told, it's not THAT therapeutic, working on it in triple digit heat, but until I can afford to build that air-conditioned workshop :p it's just gonna be what it's gonna be.

Poured some HEET in it after getting home, pulled the rear plug out and confirmed good hot spark. Fuel pump is still making all those noises we'd expect it to....... just looking more and more like I got some water in my tank somehow and the muck either plugged up the screen/filter, or the water sitting on the bottom is too diluted to ignite.

Local Indy does have a fuel pressure setup I'm gonna try to make use of, just to cross it off the list....

Not looking forward to pulling that tank tomorrow, but I'm not seeing a way around it.

Reactions: Jungleman

·
Registered
615 Posts
I would just pull off the rear right plastic. Doesn't take long and is relatively easy. Then pull pump out and siphon out fuel. You will have it done in less than 2 hours and it will be ready to ride.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Trying to pull the pump out now, having some difficulty. Videos online show the fuel lines disconnected from the injectors. Can't seem to get those unclipped either.... argh....

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Stop at Autozone and grab a small fuel pressure gauge and a double ended barbed fitting for when you remove the gauge .
Is there somewhere else than the injector clip, to T in the gauge fitting? Everything else looks high-pressure/permanent

21 - 40 of 80 Posts