Can-Am ATV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I'm a little hesitant to cut the "pressure" side hose....

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Can't seem to get those unclipped either
Because the locking tab that you CAN see is not the only one holding the fitting on.... there's a sandwiched tab on the underside of the fitting as well. I can not seem to get both of them to pinch down enough to release the injector :mad::mad:

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Push the fitting toward the injector , pinch the black tabs then gently pull away from the injector.

·
Registered
615 Posts
You shouldn't have to disconnect from injector side. Just unhook hose from fuel pump. Cut the oetiker clamp and use a small hose clamp when putting it back together.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Push the fitting toward the injector , pinch the black tabs then gently pull away from the injector.
I saw that method, too, but it didn't make any difference for me. Tabs on my clips are green fwiw.

You shouldn't have to disconnect from injector side. Just unhook hose from fuel pump. Cut the oetiker clamp and use a small hose clamp when putting it back together.

I managed to finally get both hoses unclipped from the rails, and the fuel pump removed, still connected to the fuel line, no breaks in the high pressure side. (y)

Reactions: CanAmRancher1

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I'd bet there's a set of pliers specifically made for simultaneously squeezing both those tabs in and allowing you to pull the connector off the rail.

Obviously, I don't have such a tool :rolleyes: lol

But I did manage to use two big ole flathead screwdrivers to push in both tabs enough to work the connectors off the rail, finally. I had some 1/4"? 3/8"? clear tubing leftover from snorkeling my 400, that I pushed into the connector, it was a real snug fit, but it allowed me to see the fuel leaving the tank, both quality and quantity, and I've got to say, I couldn't find fault with either. Lots of gas, and it looked great. Man I'm gonna be pissed if this was all for nothing, lol.

But I've come this far, so let's go ahead and continue. Now that the lines are loose, the pump comes right out, and maybe this is where I start to see the first "issue". I'm not sure if this "color" on the fuel filter is just a byproduct of the media inside, or perhaps the material they make it out of:

So with the pump out of the way, I can begin to siphon the tank empty. Surely there's a nifty little pump or something I could use for this, but again, #becauseIdon'thavecooltools, I whip up the siphonator 3000:

side note- gas still tastes just as yucky as I remember........ but the tanks empty, and cleeeeeean:

So I have just not seen any evidence of any elemental intrusion into my fuel system, which is concerning...... but while I'm this far into it, I'm gonna go ahead and replace the one-way and check valves around the pump and top of the tank. Might even get a new pump, if I can't replace that sock separately. Still not sure why it died and hasn't even popped since.... I got nothing....

Reactions: Jungleman

·
Registered
615 Posts
Instead of sucking on the line to siphon it, use your hand to cover the fuel tank hole, and shoot compressed air in the tank. This will push fuel out of your hose.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
So- quick poll:

Would you buy just the OEM pump pre-screen, at ~$55? Or buy a complete quantum fuel pump kit, w/regulator and screen, for $80?

I mean, part of me says "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" (afaict, the fuel pump is fine, and I just want to replace the pre-screen while I'm in here) but another part of me says "look at all you're getting, for only an extra $25"

Course, this could all be rendered moot if I plug in that pressure gauge and the pump's not up to snuff.....

·
Registered
615 Posts
The mechanic part of me says, "hey I don't wanna pull this apart again, its 25 dollars plus lifetime warranty just spend the money, and I know the pump will last a long time." The other side of me says save the 25 so I can buy an air compressor.

My vote is for the pump. I hate pulling stuff apart twice.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
lol, yeah I think I've talked some sense into myself. (y) :LOL:

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Alright, new Quantum setup arrived thursday- nice- that was quick shipping! Swapped it into the "cage" friday after work, no issues at all, it truly is a direct replacement. Fuel pump, pressure regulator, all changed out just like the OE components. Can't beat the cost, either.

Re-ran the injector lines, dropped it into the tank, trying to be real careful........wasn't careful enough, broke the gdamn circuit board of the sending unit :mad::mad::mad: so now I have no fuel gauge, which I believe isn't available separately :mad::mad: but even more red-assing is the fact that the thing still won't even pop, much less fire up and run. WTF, bike?!? I disconnected the injector lines again and exploded fuel everywhere, so it's certainly not a pressure issue.

Is it even possible for both injectors to die at the same time? I checked the 5A fuel injector fuse, it's fine, changed it out with a spare just because.

Is there any reason to believe the sock/screen in the pump would allow enough trash to pass through, to clog up both of the injectors? I'm just really having a hard time believing anything singular to each cylinder, has mysteriously somehow failed in tandem with the other cylinder... the odds just don't pan out.

So I'm off to the store real quick to grab some ether. Are y'all just spraying straight down the air filter inlet? I'm a little hesitant to go spraying stuff past my MAP/T, IAC, TPS, yknow? But I've got to figure out why this thing died and won't restart. It's got compression, got spark, got fuel (pressure), so......what's left? Injectors? Grrrrr

·
Registered
615 Posts
Dang really thought new fuel and fuel pump would fix it. Yep just pull air filter and spray ether. Won't hurt anything. No need to overdo it though. Just a quick squirt will do.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

I'm quickly exhausting my mechanical expertise, trying to come up with what's wrong with this thing..........quick little blast of ether, nothing.....little bit more......nothing........give it a few seconds......nothing.....

Pull the rear plug, sparking it's ass off, just like always, right in time, too, with the combustion noises coming from the front cylinder. What really compounds my confusion, is it will briefly blow a little ether/gas mist out of the plug hole, so there's "fuel" in the cylinder, plug is obviously hot...... won't fire, won't even pop. Wth......

I have no reason to suspect actual compression/timing issues, at this point, the motor sounds just like it should, turns over between 150-200 rpm with both plugs in, pull the rear, it jumps up to 300 rpm, and sounds like you'd expect it to. I haven't pulled the front plug again yet, just cause pita. We know these motors will run on half the cylinders, mine won't even pop. I haven't even gotten so much as a backfire since it shut down that day, yet it turns over and sounds just like you'd expect it to.

No check engine light, still.

Guess my next step is to pull the injectors? And have them tested/cleaned? I just can't see both of them being compromised or clogged at the same time.....idk. I'll grab a compression gauge and test both cylinders, but I'm fully expecting that to just be a waste of time....idk at this point

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Thanks Dale, but there's a whole buncha fuel dead-heading against the injector, the pump is powering on and providing fuel to at least the injector. Not sure what the injector is doing with it, at that point.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Check compression. Like you said I'm sure it is good. Then get you one of these. Just cus you have spark with plug out of engine doesn't mean you have spark when plug is in. It takes a lot more voltage to fire under compression. The spark should be able to jump a pretty large gap.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Or let engine sit over night with plugs out so it will dry out. Then put plugs in and crank her over a bit. Pull plugs out again, if they are wet you are getting fuel. And as long as you have compression and fuel you know it is spark related issue.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Good ideas, Rancher, and it may come to that..... they are new plugs, gapped correctly...... what I'm trying to say is, do we think both coils somehow simultaneously weakened to the point of the engine dying, that day? I'm struggling to reach that conclusion, tbh.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts