Can-Am ATV Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Dam man, now I kind of feel bad.
Here I am out havin fun and youre still back in the shop.

This sucks.
You have everything it needs to fire, very perplexing indeed.

Just thinking out loud but water does strange things. If there was something up with the "kill" circuit, would you still have spark?
Still thinking...hmmm
On my riding lawn mower, there are several sensors I bypassed, everything would be there, but it wont run without them until I jumped the wires.

There is a place in town that tests injectors. I would probably start there, while re-triple-checking EVERY connection.

Good luck bro.
Hope she fires.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Dam man, now I kind of feel bad.
Buddy, don't feel bad at all, lol.

I just type all this out to get advice, and with the hopes it may help someone else down the road, not to "cry into my beer" or anything like that :p

It's been sitting in the garage for a few days, I haven't touched it. Lawnmower needed a new carb and truck needs new tires, so I've been messing with them instead. Plus there's that whole "storm of the century" to prepare for :rolleyes: but I did crank up the ole generator for the first time in......4? years?

I'm still mulling over what my next step is gonna be. I'm having a real hard time reaching a scenario where both coils weaken at the same time; to the point of not being able to fire either plug under compression, but I've bypassed any clogged injectors or fuel delivery issue, and it's got compression.......soooooooo I guess that coil tester is next on the list? I suppose I could bring home a compression gauge, just to have (a number), not expecting any surprises there...... idk

Reactions: Jungleman

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Yeah its nice to have tires on the truck.
A tuned up mower is handy too, jumped on mine this morning and knocked out the back yard/dog area. Nice to just turn the key and go but I lost a few hours earlier this spring making that happen myself.
That storm looks serious....

Well heck, I guess if the injectors are good to go, Id test the coils then. .. Id have to do more research and move on from there.
Its gotta be something youre so close.

Best of luck (y)

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Been messing with it some today, still no "progress"..... I'm about to wear a bald spot in my head from scratching.....it's not making any sense, still......

The headlights haven't smoothly toggled from hi to low since I bought it, but that wasn't ever a BIG concern for me, since I'm on lightbars anyway. Well, knowing I needed hi/low to access codes (even tho there's no check engine light) I went ahead and ordered a replacement multifunction switch. Went ahead and changed it out, along with all the check valves and filters around the fuel pump.

Stopped off at oreillys and grabbed a fuel injection test kit along with a compression gauge, even tho I fully anticipate those to be a waste of time, I wanted to have "numbers" just for the helluvit.

Guess I just never thought about the differences between automotive and small engine applications, thought they'd be "close enough", but there's no way that's gonna work, ugh....

Anyway, whatever....

Got the plug out, let's see if the coil's still firing:

So- a few things to note here: at about the 6-7-8sec mark, you can clearly see the fuel mist being blown out of the cylinder- there's fuel in there. Pretty well all through the video, you can hear the engine making compression, and see the spark plug firing hot and all over- block, electrode, etc.

Why isn't this thing running? Why isn't it even backfiring or popping?

I just stopped by to get the codes procedure, back to it! (y)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sure looks like it ought to start. Even sounded like it was close to starting (at least) on one cylinder. IMO, these Can-Ams crank over a bit slow. Have you tried to turn it over with a very powerful drill/socket at the crank? You have tried spraying some ether (quick start spray) in at the air box right? I go to some ether spray almost immediately. I had an outboard motor that was a Bitch to start without ether, as well as a YZ426. Old tractors in my area, in the dead of winter, CANNOT start without some ether.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
That's exactly what I'm stumped about.

Not sure if that slightly faster turnover RPM was just the oil getting into the topend or the cables making a stronger connection or what, but it's done that pretty well from the beginning of this debacle. I've shot almost a full can of ether down the airbox, nothing.

No codes:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just reread most of this thread, and I am now scratching my head. Seems like you have done way more then what any engine could ask of you to help get it started.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I'm telling ya, I'll be my own "early onset male pattern baldness" victim......

I was almost hoping maybe the crank pos sensor had shit the bed, and was somehow hiding, not tripping the check engine light, but I can't connect those dots, just not enough clues to follow that trail...

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Have you tried to turn it over with a very powerful drill/socket at the crank?
I have not...... honestly I don't think that would/should do the trick.....whatever happened that day, that shut this thing down, I have not discovered/resolved yet, so despite the trilogy being appeased....... well what am I not thinking of?

No DESS issues
No check engine light
No codes
Fuel
Spark
Compression

Won't run...... tha hell??

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well you have fuel and spark, and under these circumstances there is no reason to think the spark is not firing at the right time. Fuel? If the ether can't get it to pop, then fuel is a red herring. Compression seems like grasping at straws at this point.

FWIW, (probably nothing) I had a neighbor bring over his chainsaw for me to diagnose. And I am pretty handy with chainsaws, and I checked everything. I just could not understand why it would not pop. I still can't believe I did this, but I must have pulled the starter cord 40+ or more times, and suddenly it popped and then it ran just fine. All I can guess at was the engine was flooded. And believe me, I did check, several times.

So what did I learn? I'm not sure. I still think it was flooded, but the plug was dry.

Maybe, and I'm reaching here. Disconnect the fuel or the pump, which ever, and crank that puppy over a lot, and I mean a lot. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Hey man, you get her running?

·
Registered
96 Posts
computer get submerged? you pull all the connections make sure dirty water didn't get in to those? Can you get the computer checked?

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Not yet, didn't really mess with it over the weekend. I've been trying to figure out what my next move was/is going to be. Looking like I'll have to strip all the electrical off the bike and check every last plug/connection/ground, hopefully something reveals itself. But in order to do that, lol, I need to clear off a table or two in the garage, gotta have somewhere to put all the plastics and racks and shit coming off the bike :rolleyes: with college football kicking off soon, that non-cooperating sumbish is in danger of sitting till next year:p

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
computer get submerged? you pull all the connections make sure dirty water didn't get in to those? Can you get the computer checked?
I mean, everything got submerged, lol, well not the airbox, but the bike's fairly waterproof, or at least, it's supposed to be. Computer is sealed, but there may be some bad connection hiding in some connector somewhere..... but even that doesn't overrule the trinity being appeased. I've dealt with internal combustion gas engines since I could walk, practically, and I've NEVER encountered one with fuel, spark, and compression, that won't run.

I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually :mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Hahahhaaaa forever clearing off one project off the ol workbench or breaking out ANOTHER plastic table which takes up even MORE room in the garage.
Rifle stuff all over one atm, guitar stuff covering another.
Just enough room to pull in the truck -most- nights, quads been living outside....
What can you do.

Well you'll get it brother. Wish I could come up with more help but Im with ya where youre at with everything youve tried so far.

Best of luck keep us posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was almost hoping maybe the crank pos sensor had shit the bed, and was somehow hiding, not tripping the check engine light, but I can't connect those dots, just not enough clues to follow that trail...
I think you might be on the right track. You've got spark, fuel and compression....all that's left is timing. I would think it would throw a CEL, but I can't think of anything you haven't already checked. Definitely a strange one!

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #77

Sure wish I knew what we did, that made the difference, but there never was the "smoking gun" that gave it away. Had a bud of mine stop by last night, just "another set of eyes/hands" on the thing, and we checked and tested and kicked and cussed it for hours, before it finally gave in and roared to life sometime after dark

I can offer some of the contributing factors we piled on, as the hours passed:

In its state of disassembly, I had the battery box pretty well off it, so the battery was just chilling on the maintainer over on the workbench, I was just running cables to the bike from my truck, anytime I tried to start it after changing or testing (something). He didn't approve of this approach "put your battery back on it, and THEN hook up the cables as well" Ok- done, and yeah, that helped, really had the motor turning over at a good clip then. But not enough to fire or anything like that.

So we pretty well re-traced my steps at that point: pulled the rear plug out, confirming good hot spark (in time with front cylinder compression noises), pulled front plug out, confirmed it was alive and kicking. Ok, nice hot spark- check. Motor making all the right compression noises- check

Pulled the fuel lines off the injectors again (what a pita those clips are, lol, but now that "I know the trick" not so bad), showed him the volume and quality of the fuel leaving the tank "can't find anything wrong with that", what about injectors? "Do we really believe both are somehow faulty at the same time?" We can SMELL fuel out of the plug holes, see the mist spitting, "well are they maybe somehow over-fueling?" Check the oil it reeks of gas, as does the intake tract- there's an overabundance of fuel everywhere in the bike now- all the minutes I've spent cranking it over without it firing off, everything's just rich, including the CCV hose returning to the intake.

Montana- you might've been onto something with your advice earlier (y)

So we pulled the air filter, pulled the plugs, pulled the MAP/T, and unplugged the injectors, just to give everything a real good chance to "air out". Even closed off the CCV hose, to limit any "fuel vapors" returning back to the intake. Oh! and drained the oil and refilled with fresh. Holding the throttle wide open and turned it over a few minutes like that, and finally, got a backfire/bark out of it! First sound it's made since that day! And we had NO fuel contribution at all, just to give a sense of how flooded it must've been. I guess I didn't consider that an EFI bike could "flood", but now I know....

So then we start to slowly introduce a little bit of fuel back into it- sprayed some ether in the airbox, no change. Hit the hole left by the MAP/T and got another couple of barks out of it! Reconnected an injector, started to get some consistent pops out of it then. Put it all the way back together- both injectors, MAP back in, air filter, plugs, n all, and leaned on the starter just a little more (can I just say what a trooper that little starter is/was, it's worked its ass off these last few weeks)

And it started popping, almost turning faster than the starter, kept popping, and eventually came to life! Eureka! I must've killed and re-cranked it a couple dozen times, lol, just to make sure I wasn't dreaming :p It pops off, revs clean, no codes no stumbles no noises nothing, sounds great.

Now- I am a bit concerned about the sand/dust it was blowing out of the muffler, I mean I coulda sandblasted a fender with the bike....it must've been slap full of that muddy water, well, I mean, we KNOW it was, sitting in that hole as long as it did. I didn't see a drain plug on it, that coulda come in handy

We accidentally, or maybe just exposed, the old valve cover gaskets needed changing, left the CCV hose clamped while we were running it, and got some mist spitting out from under 'em, so I'll change those out, maybe even just do the aluminum valve covers while I'm at it, but that will give me a chance to check the valves and re-tension the timing chain anyway (y)

All we can figure is maybe that muck was so thick, and it sat at idle for so long, with that exposed front spark plug, that eventually the back pressure and/or lack of both cylinders firing, killed it, and it wouldn't re-fire still kinda water-logged until it was too flooded to have a chance to. So now I'll change the oil and filter another time or two, deal with the valve covers, and hopefully find a fuel level sender, before fully reassembling it, to then change the RR axle again, and pronounce it "as ready to ride as it can be" then it'll just be a waiting game to see if the engine survived the exhaust intrusion. I have high hopes, it sounds great, revs clean, super responsive, nice clean idle, etc. Woooooo!!

·
Registered
615 Posts
I was really beginning to think it was the computer. Glad yah got er going.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: BombardierBomb
61 - 80 of 80 Posts